ScottCM

Regarding ITB...

This is one of the less BS articles regarding ITB I have seen (In my unqualified opinion)

http://running.competitor.com/2015/03/injury-prevention/10-exercises-to-treat-it-band-syndrome_125083

A few snippets....

(ITBS) is one of the most common running injuries today–and also one of the least understood.

While most physical therapists and clinicians who have experience treating running injuries understand how to treat IT band syndrome, the average runner doesn’t have a clue. Common do-it-yourself treatments include:

• Icing the side of the knee
  • Stretching the IT band from the hip (the IT band has the consistency of a truck tire and is supposed to be tight)
  • Foam rolling the IT band (ouch!)
  • Complete rest

But ask most runners who have tried these treatments and they’ll say that as soon as they started running again, their IT band syndrome flared back up. It’s a stubborn injury and doesn’t respond to the treatments discussed above. IT band syndrome is not an injury of inflammation (so icing won’t help) or tight musculature (so foam rolling the band itself or stretching won’t help).

So what causes your femur to move abnormally? Usually, a weak butt. Your gluteus maximus and medius are the two major muscles that control the position of the pelvis and overall stability of the leg during the running stride. Weak hips also contribute to the pelvis “dropping” down on the non-stance leg.

ITBS is a problem with excessive, abnormal movement of the pelvis that must be controlled.

And how do you control excessive movement? By strengthening your supporting musculature to handle the impact forces and torque of running. While strength workouts are incredibly helpful, they’re often the strategy that most often gets skipped.

Been saying this for a while, maybe people will listen now  :clap:

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And the late afternoon storm is approaching / encroaching again .....

I personally can't wait for the Gauteng storm season to come. I'm a bit gatvol of the this winter - especially here in Irene were it is at least 5 degrees colder than any other place in Centurion. Really a mission to train in the mornings.

I personally can't wait for the Gauteng storm season to come. I'm a bit gatvol of the this winter - especially here in Irene were it is at least 5 degrees colder than any other place in Centurion. Really a mission to train in the mornings.

Nothing like a good rain, and that smell that comes just before it... sick and tired of this bloody dust too. Viva Summer, Glorious Rain, Extended training hours and awesome cool down sessions in the pool  :thumbup:

Nothing like a good rain, and that smell that comes just before it... sick and tired of this bloody dust too. Viva Summer, Glorious Rain, Extended training hours and awesome cool down sessions in the pool  :thumbup:

It is the dust and dry weather that has really had an impact on me this winter. Stuffy nose and irritated throat for the past 3 months. I really had to HTFU in August to get going. But so far looking okayish. Mileage not as high as it can be(as mentioned in previous post to be 30-40km week), but more importantly cruising speed has improved by ~30sec/km compared to April. Now just to lose a bit weight I picked-up over winter.

Ja its just the timing...why they have to arrive at home time i dunno

Warning: The following is in no way meant to be racist, its just a story on the topic of afternoon storms and their inconvenience.

Many many years ago when i was working in Germiston i worked with some previously disadvantaged fellows, the one Gentlemen used to call the afternoon hi veld storms "Coon rain"

Eventually during one storm i asked him:

Isaac why do you call it coon rain?

So Isaac with a very white smile tells me, look outside and see who is walking in the rain!

True as Bob, all the people walking in the rain were those who could not afford their own cars and had to walk to the main road about a km away to catch their taxi or putco bus...

So whenever there is an afternoon storm i always think fondly of my old friend Isaac and say to myself "here comes the coon rain..."

Edited by SwissVan

One of two things.   Either this was taken on the down run (which is my guess) as it seems earlier in the day, or I it is testimony as too how much we focused on the job at hand the day...   Where on route is this photo taken, as I cannot recall this uphill?

post-2734-0-45649100-1503648376_thumb.jpg

One of two things.   Either this was taken on the down run (which is my guess) as it seems earlier in the day, or I it is testimony as too how much we focused on the job at hand the day...   Where on route is this photo taken, as I cannot recall this uphill?

pretty sure thats inchanga

edit: nope...then i'm thinking just before alverstone on the down run

Edited by Stretch

Looks like the last rise to the Top of Botha's on the down run just before going past the little spaza shop and heading down Main Botha's into Hillcrest.

I remember that Barrier from doing the route tester down run on non closed roads..

So completed my 1st half today, didn't make my target time, but it was a wild shot in the dark anyway having only started running really about 3.5 months ago and not even knowing if I could run 21km back then, for a 1:49 and a tummy bug (or is that a common running issue)...

So completed my 1st half today, didn't make my target time, but it was a wild shot in the dark anyway having only started running really about 3.5 months ago and not even knowing if I could run 21km back then, for a 1:49 and a tummy bug (or is that a common running issue)...

Common problem. Could be diet related and not a subject everybody talks about hence it was difficult for me as a newcomer to get to the bottom of it - so here goes...

I used to eat Weetbix with milk in the morning. No issue cycling. When running I had the trots when doing more than 10km. Switched to 2min noodles for breakfast (I know... :blush: ) and no more tummy probs. I think the high fiber content was my nemesis hence anything easy on the intestines could have worked for me. I also avoid dairy. For longer races I would even start looking at my diet the day before. Hope you find your solution.

Oh and a 1:49 for a 21 km is a very good day out!

Edited by Bonk-king

Wanderers was a lekker run... even managed to watch most of the boxing before in the clubhouses entrance. I'm a bit unfit and carrying a little winter excess, so had no major goals, but was lekker to get out there again. Always forget it's quite a hilly little bugger - virtually no flat anywhere around there. Started chilled with the Wife and left her after 3/4 kays before heading out on my own. The first half hurt a bit, but got into it in the second half and managed a solid and unspectacular 1:55. Nice to tick it off, Adrienne Hirsch in two weeks by which time I should be back up and training a bit more regular.

Well its going pretty good, I hope. Ha ha. Seeing as I haven't done any trail run these last couple of months ha ha

Hahaha... you starting to sound like me