ScottCM

Ya fair enough, but it the end you need to say new course, new goals and work from there...

On social media you may have seen recently there have been a few groups who have broken the 9 peaks challenge record. 9 highest peaks in each province.

But in my opinion as soon as they moved the provincial boundary a few years back and now 2 peaks are in the same province, then you have to say new route, new peak for that province and now people need to set the records again, all the old records were for the old set of peaks and will stand as the old set of records.

Same with Comrades, new route, set your old time aside as an old route record and start working at new route records...

Hard to say new Course new Goals, when the Medal Cuts Offs remain the same..

Silver will still be 7h30 but it will take 13mins longer to get there at the same pace... BR 9hr but 17mins longer etc etc..

I know Comrades has also been advertised as a Point to Point race and no actual distance and has varied over the years, but an extra 2.5kms (if it happens) is a bitter pill to swallow.

For me chasing sub 7 , 89.2km or 92.5km is a difference between 4.42 per km and 4.32 per km for the full distance...

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya fair enough, but it the end you need to say new course, new goals and work from there...

On social media you may have seen recently there have been a few groups who have broken the 9 peaks challenge record. 9 highest peaks in each province.

But in my opinion as soon as they moved the provincial boundary a few years back and now 2 peaks are in the same province, then you have to say new route, new peak for that province and now people need to set the records again, all the old records were for the old set of peaks and will stand as the old set of records.

Same with Comrades, new route, set your old time aside as an old route record and start working at new route records...

I'm not the Comrades expert here, but I suspect it's more about the medals than the PB... 

From what I've read the distance isn't going to change much? They're talking under 90km still... so less than a km change from the usual down distance

Has any of you guys ever run a trail run with the versus Cycling Socks?. It feel so comfortable. Thinking of using a pair for Mount Aux. My other socks are wymay to thin.

I used them for trail running, but because of the lenght they tend to pic up more seeds and grass.

From what I've read the distance isn't going to change much? They're talking under 90km still... so less than a km change from the usual down distance

Guys guys guys....  This...   Everywhere in the media reports and the tweets from the guys that was at the launch, it was said that it would remain +- the same as the down distances.  They talk between 89 and 90.   

Relax and go train...

http://www.runnersworld.co.za/comrades/comrades-2018-what-you-need-to-know/

http://www.run24.co.za/blog-run24.php?articleid=112&id=NEWS%2fFEATURES

Race Distance
Many runners are a tad worried that the new finish venue would add even more kilometres to the already gruelling race, but James calmed fears by saying the distance will most likely be very close to the usual distance of around 89.2km for the Down Run. The route will most likely be changed from 45th Cutting to the Moses Mabidha Stadium. The exact route change and distance will be announced later.

I personally like this part...

Comrades Date
Comrades will in future always be run on the second Sunday of June, making it easier for runners to plan ahead. Pietermaritzburg is a small town that came under immense strain because of the many sporting activities that usually coincide on the first weekend of June, said James.

http://www.runnersworld.co.za/comrades/comrades-2018-what-you-need-to-know/

http://www.run24.co.za/blog-run24.php?articleid=112&id=NEWS%2fFEATURES

Race Distance

Many runners are a tad worried that the new finish venue would add even more kilometres to the already gruelling race, but James calmed fears by saying the distance will most likely be very close to the usual distance of around 89.2km for the Down Run. The route will most likely be changed from 45th Cutting to the Moses Mabidha Stadium. The exact route change and distance will be announced later.

this however is something to be wary of....from 45th you run down ...and then UP to ridge road...big UP...but lets wait and see

I'll be looking at replacing my Asics Nimbus 19s in a few months. Haven't enjoyed them nearly as much as the previous Nimbus and Cumulus models so am therefore looking at alternative brands. Looking for a neutral shoe and it doesn't necessarily have to have as much cushioning or drop (?) but could be a "faster" shoe for up to marathons. In fact would prefer a lighter faster shoe.

Am tempted to try New Balance but not sure which model. Also looking a bit at Adidas.

Any suggestions?

Update to above. Purchased a pair of New Balance Zante V3s a few weeks ago. So far finding them brilliant. Good fit and being a reasonably light shoe have found them well suited to the quicker runs.

Comrades will in future always be run on the second Sunday of June, 

for our muslim brethren out there wont this mean its always on Ramadan ?

Edited by ScottC-M

this however is something to be wary of....from 45th you run down ...and then UP to ridge road...big UP...but lets wait and see

Think id rather take 89.2kms with a few extra Ups in the last 8kms,  then 92.5kms with a extra 2.5km jog from Kingsmead to MM at the end..

Guys guys guys....  This...   Everywhere in the media reports and the tweets from the guys that was at the launch, it was said that it would remain +- the same as the down distances.  They talk between 89 and 90.   

Relax and go train...

I'm so miffed about this all now that I'm definitely not going to get my Wally Hayward medal next year...

Damn you Comrades dudes, damn you to heck.

I'm so miffed about this all now that I'm definitely not going to get my Wally Hayward medal next year...

Damn you Comrades dudes, damn you to heck.

We all know, because you are going to get a Bill Rowan  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

for our muslim brethren out there wont this mean its always on Ramadan ?

No, Ramadhan moves earlier by about 11 days every year, that's why we fast in any and every season/month.

We all know, because you are going to get a Bill Rowan  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Haha... don't know what you've been drinking, but send some my way  :lol:

Guys and girls, we're busy developing running caps for Anatomic to offer to clubs and corporates... we're looking at doing both a full cap and a peak, but just out of interest, which do you guys prefer?