ScottCM

First 15km race for me on Sunday. Decided against supporting CSA this weekend (100CycleChallenge) and opted to support ASA/Boksburg Athletics Club (Colgate 15km) instead.

Besides ScottC-M, anyone else taking part?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Us (Edgar, myself and a small group of us) Vaalies are heading seawards this weekend to do the Route tester 60km from PMB to Hillcrest as our last Long run...

Will be weird missing Colgate though, for the last 4 years its been my last 30km jog before the big C.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone noticed in the Strava followers feed sometimes you see people's activities as

Time elevation and distance

Sometimes time and distance

Sometimes distance and pace

Sometimes distance pace and time

Where's up with that? I don't have a setting to decide how I want to see activities or how my activities are presented to others... Do you think it's random and to try persuade people to click through and use the app more?

I noticed the same, think it might also be due to the device the person is using and how it uploads to strava.

Or they want you to click into everyone's run \ cycle

Flu is clearly rampant out there at the moment... I've just finished my antibiotics, about 99% healthy from the look of it, resting heart rate is a little high (65), but to be expected. Hoping to do a little trot later, dust out some cobwebs... Same boat as Hacc, peak weaks have just became empty weeks, haven't run since 8 April.

If I can get in some 20's/30's the next few weekends with some solid mid week runs I should be okay though... (well that's what I am telling myself at least  :lol: )

Just hope the kids don't bring home any more treats for me from creche and prep school  :ph34r:

You can do it  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

First 15km race for me on Sunday. Decided against supporting CSA this weekend (100CycleChallenge) and opted to support ASA/Boksburg Athletics Club (Colgate 15km) instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm supposed to be lining up for the 32km... but everything is very much up in the air at the moment. Will depend if I can get in two short runs this week to check what's left of the old engine

Us (Edgar, myself and a small group of us) Vaalies are heading seawards this weekend to do the Route tester 60km from PMB to Hillcrest as our last Long run...

Will be weird missing Colgate though, for the last 4 years its been my last 30km jog before the big C.

That 60km have always been on my bucket list.

So, what's the general consensus on Comrades tapering? Three weeks or four weeks? The latter seems pretty long to me.

So, what's the general consensus on Comrades tapering? Three weeks or four weeks? The latter seems pretty long to me.

According to my training schedule I start tapering on the 14th of May so i'll have a 4 week taper session. 

I still have pretty high millage scheduled for the first week so although its a 4 week taper, week 1 doesn't really count. If that makes any sense. 

Speak to Andrew - he's the expert!  ;)

If your training is going as badly as mine, you don't need a taper as you haven't built up to anything resembling a decent training block... I'll be doing a 30km two weeks before Comrades and a 15km the weekend before. Rest till race day then, maybe a midweek 6km at most.

Hopefully finish in 11:59.55  :blush:

What millage you guys sitting on at the moment since Jan?

I'm on about 960km so reckon after next weekends long run, i'm going to taper down with shorter 50-60km weeks.

5 weeks out I used to drop about 10 Week... So 90 80 70 60.... Final week nothing except 5 on the Saturday..90 on the Sunday

I'm on a forced 10 weeks TAPER...   Not sure I will advise it to others though!  :rolleyes:

If I can get in some 20's/30's the next few weekends with some solid mid week runs I should be okay though... (well that's what I am telling myself at least  :lol: )

So, I can finally breathe through my nose... I am planning a lekker back to back this weekend to try and catch up on a disastrous long weekend training plan. I am running a 40km on Saturday in the Cradle and a 25km up Hillsnacks on Sunday... Going to be my last mental prep runs. So if you see a runner crying/crawling in the Cradle, please shout some words of encouragement. 

Snorting wasabi definitely helps to clear up clogged up sinuses.

Does eating wasabi with sushi help?  :whistling:

It is just what it is, people get sick sometimes

I don't have sick kids around me, I blame stress. Had the worst year thus far at work. I am working 60+ avg working hours per week regularly.

I really enjoy Colgate, ran my 32km PB there. Since one of my club mates got hit by a car at Colgate 3 years ago I don't do the race anymore. Take some warm clothes with, it can be very cold in the mornings at Boksburg Stadium. 

If your training is going as badly as mine, you don't need a taper as you haven't built up to anything resembling a decent training block... I'll be doing a 30km two weeks before Comrades and a 15km the weekend before. Rest till race day then, maybe a midweek 6km at most.

Hopefully finish in 11:59.55  :blush:

I also don't see any tapering happening soon... I think this year will be my "enjoy the scenery" Comrades... 

I will join your 11:59:55 bus Andrew. The extra 1km is seriously freaking me out.

What millage you guys sitting on at the moment since Jan?

I'm on about 960km so reckon after next weekends long run, i'm going to taper down with shorter 50-60km weeks.

I haven't been paying attention like I was (anxiously) last year for my first Comrades. Just checked now and I'm on 1270, which is actually less than the same time last year. I think I'll probably end up close to 1600 or 1700 but I feel like my quality is much, much higher than last time.

I only did two ultra training runs last year as opposed to four this time around. I remember the 56km I did last year was extremely tough going but the 60km I did last weekend felt surprisingly comfortable. So I'm hoping to take around 40 minutes off last year's time, despite the 3km extra. We'll see how it goes on the day, though. I know the race often laughs at peoples plans.

So, I can finally breathe through my nose... I am planning a lekker back to back this weekend to try and catch up on a disastrous long weekend training plan. I am running a 40km on Saturday in the Cradle and a 25km up Hillsnacks on Sunday... Going to be my last mental prep runs. So if you see a runner crying/crawling in the Cradle, please shout some words of encouragement. 

Does eating wasabi with sushi help?  :whistling:

I don't have sick kids around me, I blame stress. Had the worst year thus far at work. I am working 60+ avg working hours per week regularly.

I really enjoy Colgate, ran my 32km PB there. Since one of my club mates got hit by a car at Colgate 3 years ago I don't do the race anymore. Take some warm clothes with, it can be very cold in the mornings at Boksburg Stadium. 

I also don't see any tapering happening soon... I think this year will be my "enjoy the scenery" Comrades... 

I will join your 11:59:55 bus Andrew. The extra 1km is seriously freaking me out.

Just don't push too far too soon Hacc... 60km weekend after a few weeks off sounds risky in my books. I'm even a little worried about just doing Colgate, even if I do plan to take it very chilled.

Hard to get the balance right though between the much needed miles and not having a relapse of illness though - the joys of being behind in our training. Good luck whatever you do though, we've got a little time left here to build something, but we really can't afford any more setbacks.