ScottCM

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While on the Hoka subject, who else is running with the Cliftons? I bought a pair a few months ago, but I just dont feel the hype. They feel very sluggish and heavy. Maybe Im just used to the more responsive ride of Nike.

they should rather maybe stop looking at the entry side and start looking at the tons of plastic waste the competitors are going to litter over the route :ph34r:

#ICarryMyOwn

While I strongly agree with the reduction of plastic... providing facilities to wet yourself to keep your core temp down is very difficult. In days gone by we had sponges and troughs of water but this would not fly now. The second difficulty is stopping to fill up your water at every table... Thats gonna lose you 15 plus minutes over the course of the race

While I strongly agree with the reduction of plastic... providing facilities to wet yourself to keep your core temp down is very difficult. In days gone by we had sponges and troughs of water but this would not fly now. The second difficulty is stopping to fill up your water at every table... Thats gonna lose you 15 plus minutes over the course of the race

How do the trail runners manage then?

Everyone will lose the same 15 mins, or you just wear a running pack?

While on the Hoka subject, who else is running with the Cliftons? I bought a pair a few months ago, but I just dont feel the hype. They feel very sluggish and heavy. Maybe Im just used to the more responsive ride of Nike.

I must say I have also felt they feel a bit sluggish, but on longer runs I feel less aches and pains during and after the run so I guess it is a compromise. I think for up to marathon distance racing there are definitely faster shoes, but for training and for longer races they are awesome.

I must say I have also felt they feel a bit sluggish, but on longer runs I feel less aches and pains during and after the run so I guess it is a compromise. I think for up to marathon distance racing there are definitely faster shoes, but for training and for longer races they are awesome.

They are definitely comfortable on easy long runs. This morning I did a 10k tempo run and I laboured all the way, almost 2 mins slower than last week. Its probably not fair to rate them on what they aren't designed for.

They are definitely comfortable on easy long runs. This morning I did a 10k tempo run and I laboured all the way, almost 2 mins slower than last week. Its probably not fair to rate them on what they aren't designed for.

I am keen to try out the new Hoka Mach for shorter runs

My point is you are not gonna convince 15k people to run comrades with a hydration pack... Myself included. 15 mins is 15 mins further away from a silver, bill Rowan, bronze or finishers medal

The reality is that the amount of plastic can be easily recycled if competitors focus on disposal in designated bins..I would rather pay attention to education on responsible disposal with consequences for being caught disposing outside designated areas

Got sorted with Hoka Clifton in 2E wide.

Always wear "to much" shoe for my needs, weigh 63kg run arund 35km per week.

Looking for cushioned, super soft due to heel issues.

Unfortunately can`t comment on fast or slow, my reference are Nike Voomero, Nike Pegasus and NB 890, never worm race shoes.

Times differ, but more due to lack of training than  slow non responsive shoes.

I tried on a pair of Asics Nimbus the other day (my old go-to shoes) about 18 months after changing to Hoka (Clifton 3 & 4). It felt like I was standing on steel beams. I was amazed at how I'd gotten used to the softness. 

(I too have never worn a race shoe, nor have any need for it, but I do know cliftons are quietly packing more weight every new version)

How do trail runners manage?

Firstly, we limit the number of entries to about 200 runners for distances over 30kms, which then reduces the congestion at the tables.

secondly, we as runners plan a bit better.  We calculate that a 2l pack should last about 15km, so if we plan to run  through (or grab and dash) the first two watering points then we can have a "rest" on the later watering tables when refuelling

Thirdly, we now carry our own cups/bottles so that when we "grab and dash" there is nothing to throw away.

Lastly, when we get it wrong, we get it horribly wrong, and have to suffer horribly until the next feed station.

ps ice cold streams are great for cooling down in, but if it is hot and dry, these are not an option then it is back to point four.

...and in the light of getting it horribly wrong - when in that level of trouble, we mostly revert to the hope (belief, at that stage!) that there's beer at the end. 

Anyone heard of (or done) the Heaven & Hell marathon?

Alpine Swift trails, Southern Drakensberg.

3700m ascent over 44kms!!!!

yup, if you know Hilton you will know it will be a proper run...

This is the guy that comes to Wartrail challenge, beats us all to Balloch(55km), then continues on to do a full 100km Skyrun  for fun...

Mrs and I are seconds away form committing to this next year, its just so close to Karkloof and we may want to step up to 100 miler next year (depending how next month goes)

decisions..

very different runs hey, karkloof flat and fast and all runable, this will be more like skyrun, technical and steep and high altitude.