ScottCM

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I saw on Facebook the organising was a fiasco.

Fiasco is an understatement according to my club member

I saw Caster Semenya was handing out the medals, super cool

I hear so, i think that's really awesome, not so much for the top end of the sport but more for the little spectators who are at the finish line waiting for mommy and daddy to finish.

I am also not qualifying this year but I am stressing about Tough One. Running fitness levels not close to where it should be. In hindsight, I will enter a marathon in future for September/ Oct/ Nov just to keep the running motivation going.

On a positive note, I survived the 110km Bestmed Satellite Classic cycling race on Saturday without feeling nauseous. I really enjoyed cycling again and I had to tell myself to take it easy and save some energy for the long road ahead. It just felt great not to feel crap and not think about bailing.

The distance got to me and it didn't help that Hekpoort was in the last 10kms. Such a huge difference how you feel after a cycling race and running race... Even with little cycling training, I wasn't stiff yesterday, I feel stiff at the moment even after a 10km run... 

I realised on Saturday that runners are so much friendlier than cyclists at races... (Yes, I said it out loud) There were no real bunches from my group on Saturday and I ended up with one other cyclist, making turns at the front. We probably cycled together for 70km, chatting now and again. He was the only person chatting to me. When I finished I thanked him for helping me and he then told me he is a runner and he did his first 21km this year... 

(So, to the cyclist crazies on theHub that are regular visitors to this thread, it really helps to be friendly on the road.)

But Off Course, Us runners are the Friendliest people around. Except, if we cant run because of illness or injury...

And don't forget about the tapering weeks.  :whistling:

From what I saw on Facebook the organising was a fiasco.

I started 10 minutes late for the 21km due to trafiic. Way to many runners for the streets. You couldn't run your own pace for the first 5km. Things also got nasty between inpatient taxi drivers and metro cops at the road closures and then an old grys tannie in het 90's Merc tried to run us over in Waterkloof.

. Edit to add:

Had a bad start to the morning. First on my way there on N14 I lost a tyre

And then at the 10km mark I overtook a lady with a 85 on her back.

At the 10km mark. She was 85.

Seriously?

After the race I did find out that she is the worlds fastest 85 year old at 2h05m on a 21.1km.

Even found an article about her

http://beautifulnews.news24.com/Beautiful-News/this-record-breaking-grandma-started-running-at-78-20171012

Inspiring stuff.

I managed an easy 2h11m. I should have gone for the full marathon but I don't want to go to hard to quickly and risk injury

8c4260755fb07c676e491331b94edff7.jpg

Edited by Jaws677

(So, to the cyclist crazies on theHub that are regular visitors to this thread, it really helps to be friendly on the road.)

Cycling is slightly different when you happen to be racing in a bunch at 30-50kms/hr inches away from the back wheel and surrounded by other cyclists, is not really the time for chatting!!

Different when you are ambling along at 5 - 6 min/km in a road running race.

And yes there is definitely more opportunity to chat when there are just 2 or 3 of you having been detached from the group as the dynamics are very much different and you don't need as quick or sharp reaction than when in the thick of a bunch.

You will find that many cyclist chat when there is a lull between full gas racing and the concertina effect of the group breaking.  If the bunch settles into a good rhythm then there will be lots of banter and chatting. 

Edited by shaper

But Off Course, Us runners are the Friendliest people around. Except, if we cant run because of illness or injury...

Agreed. When you're injured and you drive past people running…

giphy.gif

Jaws, if there's one thing my time in running has taught me, it's never to judge a book by it's cover. At Gun Run I was again reminded of this. I started off looking at some people and wondering... now just howwww the heck did we even get seeded in the same group?! That was at the start, maybe the first few k's.

Was amazed to see some people at half to 2/3 marks I caught up with, which means bugger where they ended, they got to that point faster than me! And that again made me realise that it's not just about "looking like a runner" that makes your tekkies move. 

I have loads and loads of respect to everybody attempting any run. Over the weekend I had a very lekker parkrun with my daughter. We were late and had to go past everybody at her pace. It was so great to see the different shapes and sizes of people out there, running, walking dogs, walking prams, walking/running together and chatting, just getting out there. Awesome to see!

Edit: PS... I am still having this calve/knee niggle which is dragging on since before Cape Town marathon. Seeing the lady with the iron fingers tomorrow. Fisio 1 did not fill me with confidence that she's going to address the actual problem, so now for some serious help with the girl who sorted out my hip issues from cycling incident. Not really injured, but I know it's going to cause something if I keep on running (and the odd ride) as is. 

Edited by SeaBee

Aaargh, my daughter's back at school one week and, like clockwork, cold/flu/misery thing. Still three weeks to Kaapsehoop but was hoping to have a fun shakedown at the Land Rover race at Modderfontein.

Aaargh, my daughter's back at school one week and, like clockwork, cold/flu/misery thing. Still three weeks to Kaapsehoop but was hoping to have a fun shakedown at the Land Rover race at Modderfontein.

Meh. Get better soon. I have also picked up a cold now ????

Updates on OMTOM website:

R500 for the Ultra, but check out the Trail prices R750 for 12km and R920 for 24km, eish.

http://www.twooceans...general-entries

That's R38 per kay for the 24km as opposed to the R4,70 per kay I paid for the last half marathon.

I realise trail may be more costly to operate due to the lower numbers but I get the feeling that, like mountain biking, this is taking advantage of the increased popularity of trail in order to make money fast.