ScottCM

As I've said before.. The reason I don't do trail is because of prices like that.. It's ridiculous

I'm very keen to move over to ultra trails after next year's Comrades but the event prices really limit the number of races I could do in a year. It's hard to justify, say, R30k to enter maybe 8 races in a year when one is still paying off a bond. The 12 road races I've entered this year probably work out to around R2,200. It's ludicrous.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Updates on OMTOM website:

R500 for the Ultra, but check out the Trail prices R750 for 12km and R920 for 24km, eish.

http://www.twooceans...general-entries

As far as I understood, the Ultra includes our Adidas shirt and the trail nothing as well. 

I would love to do the trail one day, but I refuse to pay these prices they charge for trail runs.

like mountain biking, this is taking advantage of the increased popularity of trail in order to make money fast.

Without a doubt.   Take the R200 odd to enter Mweni marathon vs up to R3,900 odd for Skyrun and the likes.

Updates on OMTOM website:

R500 for the Ultra, but check out the Trail prices R750 for 12km and R920 for 24km, eish.

http://www.twooceans...general-entries

And then you get Wolkberg which for not a lot more money includes 2 days of running(over 50km total), 2 nights accomodation, all food(incl plenty clemengolds) and a cool shirt.

OMTOM -R950 upfront for a race that may have to be cancelled because of the water issues that have provincial management puzzling like a 5 year old with a rubix cube.

On a weekend where flights and accomodation are scarce and expensive on trails that you can run for free any other day of the year. 

Pffffffft no thank you...

I did the Mont Aux Sources Trail Run. The whole route is a Hiking Trail, and it still Cost me R1800 for the entry..

Thats crazy! I used to run the my road less travled races. Nina basically bundu bashed a route, some were insane but fun. The 21k races are R240 with awesome food/water/sometimes beer stations. The prizes for the winners as well as the fun activity prizes and lucky draws are super worth it. For trail I don’t think there s a better organiser.

And then you get Wolkberg which for not a lot more money includes 2 days of running(over 50km total), 2 nights accomodation, all food(incl plenty clemengolds) and a cool shirt.

OMTOM -R950 upfront for a race that may have to be cancelled because of the water issues that have provincial management puzzling like a 5 year old with a rubix cube.

On a weekend where flights and accomodation are scarce and expensive on trails that you can run for free any other day of the year. 

Any truth behind this or are you just guessing? Genuinely interested 

I would also be interested, but AFAIK the event does not use that much water

Trail runs are run on hiking trails and MTB trails.. So there is zero for maintenance. Add to that limited water points compared to road races. Yes.. There are outliers like mnweni etc... But let's ignore those for a moment. There are a number of reasons why they are expensive. First reason is that they are not club driven... So therefore they are a privately run and looking to make a profit. Numbers are less so you need higher prices to make that profit. Third reason is the contentious reason.. They are purposefully expensive to keep the contenders in the middle to upper class bubble

Not likely, they don't have water points in the first place...

Two years ago when I did the trail run it was R600 but no shirt, I think you get a shirt now though.

It's silly stuff though, and anyways - the Ultra fits in better as Comrades prep in my books. Glad I have ticked this one off, it's a beautiful route, but can't see myself lining up again anytime soon. Maybe just another one some day with the misses. 

Aaargh, my daughter's back at school one week and, like clockwork, cold/flu/misery thing. Still three weeks to Kaapsehoop but was hoping to have a fun shakedown at the Land Rover race at Modderfontein.

Similar boat earlier this week... dry throat, clogged up nose at night but seem to be passed it luckily... should honestly give the little buggers a Dettol shower each day as they come home  :ph34r:

The water thing is me poking at Cape Town to be honest...

But Logically if Zero day has been hinted at as March 2018, do you think it will be clever to visit a place when they are out of water and put more pressure on resources, especially if you are going there specifically to do an event that will require extra fluid intake and a shower afterwards.

This looks awesome, I can't find a spot to sign up to the newsletter etc, but please keep us in the loop when entries open - definitely looks like another one for the list  :thumbup:

The water thing is me poking at Cape Town to be honest...

But Logically if Zero day has been hinted at as March 2018, do you think it will be clever to visit a place when they are out of water and put more pressure on resources, especially if you are going there specifically to do an event that will require extra fluid intake and a shower afterwards.

Realistically.. The water intake is negligible. I posted figures for the total number of water sachets for comrades on this thread before and it related back to a single average households water use for a month.. Or there and thereabouts

Showers afterwards.. Yes.. But how different is that to standard Easter holidays volume..i.e.. If there was no race.. They would still get much the same