ScottCM

My question to the speed freaks / "Kenyan-like" runners on this thread: How do you gradually increase your speed? Is it just a case of doing more speed work?

I've always been a runner (more than a cyclist), so that questions is almost strange to me... I've always just got faster as fitness increases; but I can relate, because with cycling I can't do that, and have to really work on speed.

As I get older, the 'speed' sessions I like:

Short maximal hill repeats (10-15 x 80-100m), with a jog down for rest.

Treadmill speed sessions. Lately I've been working on my 5k time. I run at 5-10s faster than 5k race pace, and see how long I can manage. Once I reach that, and can do it repeatedly, I up the speed a bit, or move to a longer distance. Boaring, I know, but easy to do late night at home

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a hectic week work wise and my running suffered a bit this week, I guess it is good to "taper" for 94.7.

Well done Andrew on an excellent time trial! I suffered to run under 5 min a km last night for just 3kms...

My question to the speed freaks / "Kenyan-like" runners on this thread: How do you gradually increase your speed? Is it just a case of doing more speed work? Seeing that we are approaching the "off" season soon, I want to concentrate on speed. What does your typical training plan look like for the second half of November and the whole of December?

Speed comes from doing speed session some point in your training weekly. A short time trial 4 to 5km at least every second week and a fartlek or interval session at least once a week. All your other runs.. Try run to a maximum hr as that will best show your if your speed is increasing. So for example..max 160 AVG 140... And then monitor your time/km over time and you should see a change

Edit.. Pulse mentioned it.. But hill sessions are killer but help with lowering your HR and increasing your speed

Edited by Stretch

I had a hectic week work wise and my running suffered a bit this week, I guess it is good to "taper" for 94.7. 

Well done Andrew on an excellent time trial! I suffered to run under 5 min a km last night for just 3kms...

My question to the speed freaks / "Kenyan-like" runners on this thread: How do you gradually increase your speed? Is it just a case of doing more speed work? Seeing that we are approaching the "off" season soon, I want to concentrate on speed. What does your typical training plan look like for the second half of November and the whole of December?

For the rest of the year just do all your runs at a moderate pace. not too fast and not too slow. start worrying about speed work from the begging of January. You dont want to go into next year with tired legs. you and to have a good base to avoid injury once the speed work and mileage starts going up. next year aim for 1 speed work session a week and 1 TT. the rest of your runs should be easy pace.

start off with running 400,s then build to 800,s and finally 1k speed work sets. 2 strength sessions a week will do you wonders too.

So not looking forward to Tough One, going to be a long day for me.

That makes 2 of us.... Also reminds me that I must hop over to Sweatshop to enter!

So not looking forward to Tough One, going to be a long day for me.

I ran about 10km of the route yesterday. I' soon realised that Im also going to have a long day and why the race was named The tuff one. Ive decided to rest from now on for Sunday's 94.7 and then only two runs next week before the RAC Tuff one.

In other news I went on break down to South Coast last week. My local park run is the Golden Harvest Parkrun with about a 1000 runners every week.

Down at the South Coast Park run there was only about 100 retired runners and I managed first finisher. Something that's impossible for a Buffalo runner like me up in Jhb.

:-)

Edited by Jaws677

I ran about 10km of the route yesterday. I' soon realised that Im also going to have a long day and why the race was named The tuff one. Ive decided to rest from now on for Sunday's 94.7 and then only two runs next week before the RAC Tuff one.

Resting for Sunday, will also do two runs in the week before Tough One... And then getting drunk after Tough One [emoji485]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hey guys. I chave quite badly around my naught on long runs. I ALWAYS forget to put anything on but this time I remembered. Will vasiline work before the race? Or is baby bum cream a better plan?

Hey guys. I chave quite badly around my naught on long runs. I ALWAYS forget to put anything on but this time I remembered. Will vasiline work before the race? Or is baby bum cream a better plan?

This made me laugh so much.... Vaseline is a runners best friend.... Done be afraid to apply generous amounts of Vaseline around the nought region and the braai pack. For comrades... Under the armpits... Inner thighs and even where your running top might rub.

This made me laugh so much.... Vaseline is a runners best friend.... Done be afraid to apply generous amounts of Vaseline around the nought region and the braai pack. For comrades... Under the armpits... Inner thighs and even where your running top might rub.

I learned this the hard way in my early days of running. Nobody warned me about chafing. I will never forget the amount of pain I felt getting into the shower after my first marathon.

Now vaseline is the first thing I put next to my running gear the night before a race.  

Vaseline works better than baby bum cream. Baby bum cream works miracles after a race if you have chafed.

EDIT: I think an ultra runner's handbook for noobs would be awesome. Not about training, but more about general tips. Vaseline would be on the list, and to take your own toilet paper to a portable loo....

Edited by Hacc

Hahahahaha! Thanks! Will do! I did a half when we were in Jordan. Did not notice I was chaffed moertoe untill I got into the dead sea. It was a nightmare!

Tomorrow is Tom Jenkins.  Once if you are in Christmas Rest mode, twice is you are building for OMTOM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tomorrow is Tom Jenkins.  Once if you are in Christmas Rest mode, twice is you are building for OMTOM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good luck!

My first ever 10km was Tom Jenkins... another rookie mistake.