ScottCM

I disagree, I think Camille will again win this year. Gerda and Anne are both strong runners, but after 70km, Camille is just a bit stronger.

Im with you. This is not a 56km race. Her consistent pace should be enough.

That said I've been following Ann, and her prep and dedication is very impressive.

• Replies 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup.. She is strong both mentally and physically. Barring injury or just having a bad day..I would say it's hers in the bag

But too slow her winning time in 2017 was the slowest in recent years Caroline's time in 2015 was 20 minutes quicker if you take into account the longer course. Ann and Gerda have times much quicker through all distances including comrades. I think Ann per km last year was the 4th fastest in the history of Comrades...Camille will not get close if they are fit

Edited by ArthurPTA

But too slow her winning time in 2017 was the slowest in recent years Caroline's time in 2015 was 20 minutes quicker if you take into account the longer course. Ann and Gerda have times much quicker through all distances including comrades. I think Ann per km last year was the 4th fastest in the history of Comrades...Camille will not get close if they are fit

Remember Camille is also fitter and stronger than she was in 2017.

Agreed, I've got Ann and Gerda both ahead of Camille.

Either way,It's going to be one hell of a women's race this year. Very excited to see those battles. I actually hope Ann wins again. She is so humble, and kept a low profile again this year.

Men's race will prob be the same old guys again, maybe Mthembu winning again. 

Edited by Lexx

..... you'll be receiving a 'runners bottle' instead for carrying your water

But the bottke is also plastic-as long as they dont give bottles away at every second event - perhaps have it as an option on the entry?

Sachets is a mess & the water in some taste funny - Im glad we are moving to other options. (I prefer a hydration pack )

Edited by Christie

I haven't been following our local ladies performances but it would (obviously) be great to have locals holding all the Comrades records. 

Camille just seems a different beast to me, maybe just because I pay more attention to her but she seems to run simply for the absolute joy of running. I reckon that holds one in a better position over a longer ultra where you'll go through many different phases and emotions. Other top class racers seem quite fragile/temperamental to me.

Another thing I've gotten used to, and really enjoy - is where ladies start first in the major marathons. I really enjoy watching them run their own race free of dudes getting in the way and angling for TV coverage. Comrades can't really accommodate that so back to the old I suppose.

Hi Guys

Any advise on layering in the winter.  Cycling is relatively easy, but what do you do with running, seeing that it is kind of difficult to store the clothing as you take it off?

Hi Guys

Any advise on layering in the winter. Cycling is relatively easy, but what do you do with running, seeing that it is kind of difficult to store the clothing as you take it off?

Go as light as possible. I stay in the Free State and even on the coldest mornings I only wear a long sleeve shirt and a very light jacket. And make sure the jacket is ventilated. You do need proper gloves though.

Too many layers and you will sweat like a pig in 10 minutes.

30 days to Comrades.. ????

How is everyone doing. Im on 1200km now. Started getting a niggle here and there the last week, so Im backing off now. Taking a rest day after every run. Not much than can be gained now anyway.

Hi Guys

Any advise on layering in the winter.  Cycling is relatively easy, but what do you do with running, seeing that it is kind of difficult to store the clothing as you take it off?

Arm sleeves and a buff have become a win for me. The sleeves keep you warm in the beginning but once you start heating up they seem to stabilise the temperature and act as a good sun guard. The buff will keep your ears or neck warm in the beginning and then you can pull it off and wrap it around your wrist as a sweat band later in the run.

And if you want gloves, follow the lead of the pros: Builders Warehouse, R15.

Edited by Barry Stuart

Either way,It's going to be one hell of a women's race this year. Very excited to see those battles. I actually hope Ann wins again. She is so humble, and kept a low profile again this year.

Men's race will prob be the same old guys again, maybe Mthembu winning again. 

Yeah, Ann has suggested this is her last one so I'd love to see her and Gerda have a proper all-out, leave-it-on-the-road go at each other. Gerda is more talented than I think even she is aware of and Ann is tougher than nails.

I think it's going to be damn hard to stop Mthembu this year. Also hoping that Comrades puts a mat up at the 50 mile mark (wink, wink, Jim).

Do any of you know of a 10km next weekend Saturday (or during the week), road or trail? Not many alternatives to RAC 10km and I'm looking after the kids while my wife runs that. There aren't a helluva lot of options on Runnersguide.

Go as light as possible. I stay in the Free State and even on the coldest mornings I only wear a long sleeve shirt and a very light jacket. And make sure the jacket is ventilated. You do need proper gloves though.

Too many layers and you will sweat like a pig in 10 minutes.

Thanks, do you ever run with a gillet?