ScottCM

https://www.brucefordyce.com/post/we-borrow-world-records-but-we-keep-titles

"I received the record from Don Ritchie and now, Jim, you have it. And you deserve it. Be warned, however, that here in South Africa we have a Zulu warrior called Bongmusa Mthembu, who could take 5 minutes off the record and, on his day, David Gatebe is capable of running even faster. When he won the 2016 Comrades marathon, David probably passed through 50 miles in 4:43 or so.

Your new record is a magnificent addition to your CV, but there is one glaring omission from that CV - and that is a Comrades marathon title. Like Odysseus’s sirens, the race is calling you, beckoning from the province of Kwazulu-Natal. Come and race the most famous ultra of them all and test yourself against the best in the world. You will enjoy the whole amazing African adventure."

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be interesting to see Gatebe at Western States 100...

It would be interesting to see Jim at Comrades.... (sorry, didn't read Jackes' post properly...)

Edit: He and Camille should come and klap both races

Edited by CBlake

It would be interesting to see Jim at Comrades.... (sorry, didn't read Jackes' post properly...)

2020 it seems.   I thought he might choose the down run! 

https://twitter.com/walmsleyruns/status/1125445417640927233

I still have a lot to learn but I will be ready to put everything into the process at Comrades some day. #Comrades2020 #NeedMoreCaution

https://www.podiumrunner.com/hoka-project-carbon-x_177276?fbclid=IwAR2UMj704LHAkhBFbSWXAb3td_DjTWkttqYl9BWbJ3jDLxkmomb_60WX0gc

Project Carbon X served Walmsley’s goal of racing Comrades and he used the road ultra to gain experience so that the famed South African race won’t “be total learning experience.”

I know this has come up before - single use plastic and massive litter at road runs...

I just got a mail for the FNB Joburg 10km Cityrun. They've done away with water sachets and those silly plastic envelopes the medals and tshirts come in. The race numbers will be recycled paper, you'll be receiving a 'runners bottle' instead for carrying your water, there will be refilling stations, and the few water cups they will have are made without a plastic lining  (so i imagine they'll leak almost immediately...)

Well done to them I say.

I know this has come up before - single use plastic and massive litter at road runs...

I just got a mail for the FNB Joburg 10km Cityrun. They've done away with water sachets and those silly plastic envelopes the medals and tshirts come in. The race numbers will be recycled paper, you'll be receiving a 'runners bottle' instead for carrying your water, there will be refilling stations, and the few water cups they will have are made without a plastic lining  (so i imagine they'll leak almost immediately...)

Well done to them I say.

Ja, Cape Town 12 is the same. I've entered but now have a trail clinic which was postponed to the same date. No contest as to which option I'm choosing! 

Can't imagine it being an issue over those short distances - and esp since these are more "vibey" (not so serious) races. I'd go without water (one sip along the way would have been nice but tagging along a bottle for an hour for that nicety is just overkill) and somebody even more casual than me would not mind taking water along for their session.

I just got a mail for the FNB Joburg 10km Cityrun. They've done away with water sachets and those silly plastic envelopes the medals and tshirts come in. The race numbers will be recycled paper, you'll be receiving a 'runners bottle' instead for carrying your water, there will be refilling stations, and the few water cups they will have are made without a plastic lining (so i imagine they'll leak almost immediately...)

Well done to them I say.

At OMTOM I realised how convenient it is to carry your own water. I ran with a Salomon soft flask, and when everyone bundled at the waterpoints I just kept going. They had dedicated carry your own refill stations with taps, stopped there twice and I was sorted. I can easily carry 4 32gi sachets in my running belt.

Ja, Cape Town 12 is the same. I've entered but now have a trail clinic which was postponed to the same date. No contest as to which option I'm choosing!

Can't imagine it being an issue over those short distances - and esp since these are more "vibey" (not so serious) races. I'd go without water (one sip along the way would have been nice but tagging along a bottle for an hour for that nicety is just overkill) and somebody even more casual than me would not mind taking water along for their session.

Can't see it working for a marathon though. As I've said before you still have to cater for people who haven't got time to stop and fill up a bottle every 10km. Edited by Stretch

I have never taken more than two sachets at a time in a marathon and even less in a half marathon. That can easily be substituted by any one of my hydration belts and packs. Spookhill 15k has also gone green in terms of medals, flyers and sachets and hopefully more clubs will follow their lead. You really don’t need all that water in the shorter races.

That is the best news ever... So happy a Minister finally doing his job..

I am already getting big FOMO

Tell me about it. Am even considering doing the Cape Town Festivals 100 km just to make up for missing Comrades [emoji2363]

Camille will not get within 20 minutes of Ann or Gerda they just have too much speed for her. The ladies record will go this year to either of them. Gerda ran sub 2:28 marathon pace for the last 6km of Oceans her coach says if they had targeted the record she would have run 3:28. I would even go to predict we could see a sub 6 ladies time this year.

I disagree, I think Camille will again win this year. Gerda and Anne are both strong runners, but after 70km, Camille is just a bit stronger.