MTO Trails - Jonkershoek (an update on Jonkershoek)

BobbyBehan

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This happened after the big table on vasbyt. On the side of the  trail was an exit jump and did a small whip, landed and heard grrrrrrr. got off looked down and found the seat tube against the wheel.

Before

After

yeah. Us mortals, on the other hand...

I seriously need to get rid of the "Nopes" in my brain... 

Do what I did on the old double black diamond and black diamond:

Take your body amour, knee pads etc. + Full face and neck brace. Drape all these items over your handle bars and push your DH bike to the top in 30+ deg. (Took about an hour.) Practice "not dying" for the rest of the day.

Come back tomorrow with your trail kit and AM bike. Ride the big stuff like the fearless pro you are.  :D

• 2 weeks later...
From Facebook here: MTO Trails - Jonkershoek

Trail Development Update: All trails stemming from The Waterfall Trail Head are almost complete. We hope they open late this coming week or early the week after. This is dependent on the arrival of signage and the completion of the Red Line. Bennet is about 400 meters from it's completion meaning the Trail Head located high-up where Neverending Story starts. Most of us are familar with the Blue Line (Neverending Story), which is an excellent trail. The Red Line will enable even higher speed with many cool features for those with the skills to take them (optional). The Black Line is really a different trail to what we have known in Jonkershoek and many other areas; very technical we recommend only long travel bicycles and the usual protective gear. Be patient ... the trails will officially open soon.

Runners, riders and other trail users Bennet Nel one of our trail builders has asked that we stop riding the Red Lines and Black Lines until they officially open (these trails are incomplete). Many are guilty (myself included ..!!). Reason being, the trails have just been built and need rain in order to 'bed in'. Without rain, aided by the skidding of rear brakes, maintenance work will be required almost immediately. As soon as you see the new boards and signs erected you will know that the trails are officially open. So hope for rain (!!) and watch for the signs. Neverending Story (blue line) is open. Thanks for your understanding and support.

MTO Trails - Jonkershoek Facebook post.

Hate to be the bubble burster, but that drop is the easiest feature on that black line and it's not easy.  It has a slight uphill sprint into it and you have to jump it.  I've seen the full line (just walked it) and trust me, it's double black by any standard.

You'll have to be comfortable riding sketch, steep switchbacks into big rock drops onto rock gardens and then hold a line through massive DH quality rock gardens.

And then you get to the jump line.  Step ups to make your eyes water, massive hip jumps and doubles the size of the last one they built on Vasbyt.

If you can't ride those things safely I wouldn't bother since even though you'd be able to crawl down and rely on the B-lines you wouldn't enjoy it. 

Also doubtful whether that trail will see December.  It needs a ton of water and last I checked there ain't none coming.

The new red on the other hand...think Firehut but steeper and faster.  It is superb.  Still not finished though as it is still not complete.

Given the MTO post, and having spoken to Bennet yesterday I'd implore all to just stay away as requested.  Otherwise the trails will be ruined before they're even open. There are already braking bumps and the trails aren't even officially open.