MTO Trails - Jonkershoek (an update on Jonkershoek)

BobbyBehan

surely one should be allowed to ride any/all trails?

yes, but it's a trail that you should have a certain amount of skill to ride. If you can't do the entry drop, you shouldn't be on the trail as it has features that are bigger and more dangerous than that. 

You're ALLOWED to ride the trails, but if it is an entry criteria, it's there to prevent people below a certain skill level from riding the trail when it would be above their skill level. 

Remember, it's supposed to be a double black. That means mega technical and full of technical elements. 

Waiting for a response from Bennet, but that is my feeling - it's there to prevent beginners from riding a potentially dangerous line. 

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, but it's a trail that you should have a certain amount of skill to ride. If you can't do the entry drop, you shouldn't be on the trail as it has features that are bigger and more dangerous than that. 

You're ALLOWED to ride the trails, but if it is an entry criteria, it's there to prevent people below a certain skill level from riding the trail when it would be above their skill level. 

Remember, it's supposed to be a double black. That means mega technical and full of technical elements. 

Waiting for a response from Bennet, but that is my feeling - it's there to prevent beginners from riding a potentially dangerous line. 

fair enough. in your opinion would that route only be suited for a full suss?

Not necessarily. Depends on your skill level, again.

I wouldn't ride it on an XC race bike, full sus OR hardtail, put it that way. But if your name is Nino, then that won't be a problem.

I would do it (maybe, when I have gotten comfortable with a drop that big) on a DJ hardtail. But that's it. 

I'd definitely feel more comfortable on something with a bit more squish... 

I'm certainly going to eye it out on my hardtail. Whether I harden up to ride the full line is another story. But it won't be the bike's fault should I shy away and return with something squishier.

Edited by Nick

The rest of the trail looks  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup: . With some confidence that drop should be an issue.

yeah. Like all dropoffs. Just need to hit it, and do a little manual-type thing off the edge. 

I'm hoping the entrance can be simply dropped. I ain't jumping into that thing like in the video.

Has anyone been to have a look?

not me... 

EDIT: Also looks like a bit of a hip drop. Meh. I'm screwed...

Edited by Myles Mayhew

I'm hoping the entrance can be simply dropped. I ain't jumping into that thing like in the video.

Has anyone been to have a look?

Maybe if the gap is made a little smaller, then just maybe, but it looks high. Is it higher than  "drop Danger Drop" ?

How can you, the gopro is gonna have to be with, besides Taahir will definately go first

Always lekker chasing him. Just when I think I'm about to catch him he zips away again.

If you check the video. The drop they built doesn't look much higher than the entry to DH1 was in Tokai and we all did that several times before. Its the gap in terrain I'm worried about. They definitely pumping off it to make it over. Wish I could throw my bike around like that.