Motorcycles + Two-strokes + IOMTT talk

nathrix

You guys seen the pic of the suter next to a BMW s1000r. That think looks so small and nimble in comparison, think the 4 strokes will have the legs though. Should be interesting seeing the end results. Just wish they had picked a younger rider like Martin or Connor instead of Loughor

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys seen the pic of the suter next to a BMW s1000r. That think looks so small and nimble in comparison, think the 4 strokes will have the legs though. Should be interesting seeing the end results. Just wish they had picked a younger rider like Martin or Connor instead of Loughor

They had some mapping problems yesterday with the Suter, hope it's sorted. My opinion is that Ian Lougher is an excellent choice. He has more experience than anybody alive on a 2stroke at IOMTT, the young guns have almost zero, it will be suicide on this circuit to give them such a weapon, not good if someone gets killed on Suter's first outing there. Lougher knows his 2strokes, most of all, he knows how to ride the wheels off of them at the IOMTT's without killing himself in the past. Only the next few days will tell if that thing is tamable...

Take a look at this well done video about the story of the Suter MMX500 with comments from Ian Lougher and crew chief Didier Langouet at the Isle of Man TT.

Credits: Martimotos

The story behind the most popular Isle of Man TT photo so far: At the starting line of the first training of the Superbikes, Ian Lougher took his 21st starting position. But because his bike has to be push started, he landed in the Top Ten, beside Michael Dunlop. Because he know Robert Dunlop's son since he was a little child, Lougher decided to salute Dunlop by reving his 2-stroke on quite high level. Dunlop, astonished, looked, grinning and shaking his head. The facebook fans all over the world interpreted the situation in many different ways.

post-4329-0-48105800-1464783332_thumb.jpg

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

Since you've decided to go there:

Honda RC166 (50 years old)

This little 6-pot 249cc engine spun to 20,000rpm, had seven gears and had a powerband the width of a needle.

Each little piston was a mere 41mm in diameter, so cute:

http://i.imgur.com/PLRh6OA.jpg

It could punch this featherweight rocket all the way to 150mph, which is pretty much almost what my supersport bike does (albeit mine gets there much faster).

Read this for some more info, it's mind boggling the engineering that went into those old race machines: http://petrolicious.com/honda-rc166

I'll see your seven speed four stroke and raise you a 1967 RS68 Suzuki 12 speed two stroke (there was a 14 speed 50cc triple too).

Here's the 50cc triple (RP68).

And bringing it back to 2016...

Some serious onboard action!

I put this up on the big screen in a training room at work, lights off, my body was moving involuntarily.

Excellent stuff!

I'll see your seven speed four stroke and raise you a 1967 RS68 Suzuki 12 speed two stroke (there was a 14 speed 50cc triple too).

Here's the 50cc triple (RP68).

I was actually looking for that bike, because of the powerband statistic - It had to have 14 gears because it only produced max power between 19,500 and 20,000 rpm, which is just insane. You were constantly shifting to keep it in that range. Launch off the line took place at a staggering 18,000 rpm. I wish someone would build this sort of motor with modern technology.

I mean, just look at this engineering:

http://i.imgur.com/MffQVe0.jpg

Insane. This isn't gonna be a very productive Friday I see...

Edited by bertusras