Motorcycles + Two-strokes + IOMTT talk

nathrix

Ok so the DT is done and parked to one side I guess it's time to start with this guy.  1931 Velocette GTP 2-stroke - Coil Ignition, separate oil pump and twin exhaust ports - all things the Japanese usually get credit for.  I bought it back in 1990 for probably around R3000 I think.  At the time I was doing the DJ Rally every year with my Dad, and I wanted my own bike.  Time marched on, and cycling became the new hobby, so this little bike got partially dismantled, and stuck in the back of my Dad's garage and forgotten about until the big rains last year where I helped him repair a roof leak.  It's complete, it runs (or ran when I got it!) and best part, I have kept the licence up to date religiously for the last 26years.

I need to have it completed by the first week of October for the annual Velocette run in Fouriesburg, so nothing like a bit of pressure!

The third pic is of one which was recently listed at Bonhams Auction house in the UK.

post-15215-0-52606100-1451990298_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-83033700-1451990309_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-83226000-1451990436_thumb.jpg

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FAAAARRRKKK that's nice Andy.  :clap:  :thumbup:

Keep us up to date with the rebuild (start a new thread for that)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

(If you know what I am talking about ....you not a youngster anymore).....I still have a supply of Shell Sport R at home.....used for my 350LC

Pics or it doesnt exist :)

Used to ride one of these as a student. Looks seriously dated now but felt like a real hooligan tool at the time. On a students income it was hard to maintain the thing and pay for petrol. I sold it after one cylinder partially seized at 140kph due to oil starvation (faulty oil pump methinks) Nothing better than a 2stroke on or off road.

post-14003-0-58339100-1459782106_thumb.jpg

529011122d80f3c3825df23ea2edf2d7.jpg

cea90e058e4aefb28883a00d91337e03.jpg567f5b695710bfb3c797ab1b9634d275.jpg

Found these old beauties under a cover a couple months back...

9f7eb3db6ff9afd4e5ec2589386f7d78.jpg

I know this is not a two stroke..."wild thing" runs like a two stroke...when you doing 120 km/hr and still in first gear you just know when you bump it into second it comes up like my old YZ 490 use to...just wish I had better control between my brain and the throttle and a more understanding wife...I sold all my bikes because I was told they too dangerous...then I go get a bicycle thinking ok much safer [emoji57]

Edited by isetech

Nice number plate positioning on the One Rand...

The IT is a beaut.

What year is the CR, 1981/2?

My son has a YZ85 MX bike that he has outgrown.  For an 85, that thing moves.  Now he wants a 125, but I have no money to buy such a toy.

November I did a fork service on it.  You won't believe how easy it is to service them.  Way easier than a my Fox FIT Remote MTB fork.  I still need to replace the chain and sprockets, as these are also done, and then it needs a new rear rim and spokes, as the rim is cracked, and the spokes is ceased on the spoke nuts.

Two wheel stuff is gonna bankrupt me still.  :mellow:

Used to ride one of these as a student. Looks seriously dated now but felt like a real hooligan tool at the time. On a students income it was hard to maintain the thing and pay for petrol. I sold it after one cylinder partially seized at 140kph due to oil starvation (faulty oil pump methinks) Nothing better than a 2stroke on or off road.

I had one just like that. 1982 model.