Motorcyclist and cyclist killed in collision on Tokai Rd M3 on-ramp

Sidmouth

There are two alternative routes - past the prison or through Kirstenhof.  Going through Kirstenhof would add maybe 1.5km to the trip but more importantly be completely legal and safe for everybody.

RIP to both.

not sure about that - cyclist was on the freeway going northbound. only other routes that way are spaanschemat river road, or main road - both huge detours. you could sneak in the greenbelt on the west of the highway here and there but it's not going to be fast.

I'm sure there were plenty of eyewitnesses, so we will no doubt get clarity on the speeds/incident. So all the speculation is just that for now, it could be either, both or a third party who caused it, we just don't know.

Cape Town wants to become a bike friendly city, there's a huge amount of low income residents right there at westlake. Lack of adequate transport is an issue that limits employment opportunities, so cycling is one way. There's a BEN bike centre at westlake, and I love seeing commuters off to work on their own bikes - taking control of their own destiny. Sadly one less commuter now.

(and of course RIP to the motorbiker - I just see it through a cyclist eyes)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest notmyname

Logic, and from seeing many crashes. A friend of mine got hit from behind by a car at 60km PLUS and the bike did not look like that and it was Carbon. That is steel

Failure level expert. Sorry mate.

Edit: To add to that. Ask Vetseun to show pictures of his yeti after his awful incident. Ping

I disagree that speed was an issue.  The speed limit there is 100km/h.  If the biker hit the cyclist at 100km/h (legal speed) the cyclist would almost certainly be killed on impact.  The biker may just have fallen badly.  But I would say that the incident probably would not have happened if the cyclist was not on the freeway.  There are two alternative routes - past the prison or through Kirstenhof.  Going through Kirstenhof would add maybe 1.5km to the trip but more importantly be completely legal and safe for everybody.

As soon as someone sees a motorbike accident they automatically jump to speed as being the main cause.  As a biker this really grates me.  It's the same way that cyclists all get grouped the same when there's an incident.  Take each case on it's individual merits and don't speculate wildly.

RIP to both.

I agree entirely, this is the reason why I ride with my Garmin Virb on my helmet. Its got all the speed data for each video so you can shut those loud mouthed cocks up in a matter of minutes.

Biker is always first to be blamed which pisses me off, video with data removes all speculation.

not sure about that - cyclist was on the freeway going northbound. only other routes that way are spaanschemat river road, or main road - both huge detours. you could sneak in the greenbelt on the west of the highway here and there but it's not going to be fast.

I'm not (that) wrong - I used to live in Kirstenhof, I know the distances.  Down the bridge, into Sea Breeze, Lente, and then back up Tokai road if needed.  The only difference is going down the bridge and then back up Tokai road.  You can't count the distance going north because he was doing that distance anyway.   

And anyway, that's besides the point.  The freeway might be easier, faster, smoother, no traffic lights, whatever - it's all irrelevant.  It's illegal.  There are laws like this for a reason.  Massive speed differentials cause accidents, and saying that another route is 'a huge detour' is not enough reason to condone riding a bicycle on the freeway.   It's unacceptable. 

Both of them are doing wrong, Biker was speedy and he looks back before entering the M3 and he probably did not realised that cyclist was crossing over the ramp. he went to him.. Cyclist was wrong to cross the ramp without taking caution...

I'm not (that) wrong - I used to live in Kirstenhof, I know the distances.  Down the bridge, into Sea Breeze, Lente, and then back up Tokai road if needed.  The only difference is going down the bridge and then back up Tokai road.  You can't count the distance going north because he was doing that distance anyway.   

And anyway, that's besides the point.  The freeway might be easier, faster, smoother, no traffic lights, whatever - it's all irrelevant.  It's illegal.  There are laws like this for a reason.  Massive speed differentials cause accidents, and saying that another route is 'a huge detour' is not enough reason to condone riding a bicycle on the freeway.   It's unacceptable. 

Agreed.

I used to live in the lower 'burbs and rode everywhere, commuting to Claremont/Rondebosch etc and back.  Never thought of using the M3 as it's nuts and there are lots of alternatives on both sides that are far more pleasant and often faster to ride.  Did it again recently for a couple of weeks and with the added volume of traffic, the point is even more relevant.

(Not speculating about specifics here)

Awful.

don't want to derail this, but I think you're assuming he was coming from lakeside/muizies, I'm assuming he was coming from westlake low income area(between reddam/pollsmoor).

if he was indeed coming from main road/lakeside, then your way is best - that's the way i would ride to tokai from muizies(nice sneak over the field just before you get to tokai road).

don't want to derail this, but I think you're assuming he was coming from lakeside/muizies, I'm assuming he was coming from westlake low income area(between reddam/pollsmoor).

if he was indeed coming from main road/lakeside, then your way is best - that's the way i would ride to tokai from muizies(nice sneak over the field just before you get to tokai road).

No, I was assuming that he was coming from the Westlake side, that's why I said 'ride down from the bridge'

No, I was assuming that he was coming from the Westlake side, that's why I said 'ride down from the bridge'

The dotted route is the one I'm referring to.  

post-50271-0-45717500-1440073187_thumb.jpg

Don't know the road layout but I can speculate. 1. Cyclist on a freeway which is against the law and 2. Biker speeding in the yellow line cause he doesn't want to split which is also against the law.

Both made the wrong decision (and yes) I do blame the lack of respect of the law and the lack of policing for this.

RIP to both

Archived