Introducing SRAM RED eTap electronic road drivetrain

News bot

I like the charge time, and the interchangeable batteries.

I like that the batteries move to the charger, and not vice versa.

I like the look of the levers.

I like that it looks clean and simple and easy to install and setup.

I like that they added a button to change the front derailleur on the derailleur itself for mechanics.

I like the really positive click.

I'm sceptical about the front derailleur changes, since I normally tap the rear derailleur twice simultaneously.  I'd have to ride it to know if it's a real problem.

I'm sceptical about the battery attachment on really bumpy roads.  The rear derailleur should be ok, since it bounces, but the front?  I've lost too many lights due to bad plastic clips.

It's too expensive for me, so my opinion doesn't matter.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah its not wi-fli yet. SRAM not commenting on that but I suspect that it will be once the MTB components are announced

I'm sceptical about the front derailleur changes, since I normally tap the rear derailleur twice simultaneously.  I'd have to ride it to know if it's a real problem.

I'm sceptical about the battery attachment on really bumpy roads.  The rear derailleur should be ok, since it bounces, but the front?  I've lost too many lights due to bad plastic clips.

I am almost certain SRAM has tested this in the field and labs for the past 5 years already.  They said they had 100 testers for 2 years riding the units on every terrain possible.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68cV00oRK1M

Hmmmm....I dont think SRAM were paying attention here. What if you want to shift the front mech and rear mech at the same time, like at start of the climb or in a sprint.... Someone forgot to think this one through.

You have to first shift your rear mech, release, then tap both levers together.

Think DI2 is still has the edge with one shifter one mech. This system will by nice for social riders where shifting speed not important. 

Hmmmm....I dont think SRAM were paying attention here. What if you want to shift the front mech and rear mech at the same time, like at start of the climb or in a sprint.... Someone forgot to think this one through.

You have to first shift your rear mech, release, then tap both levers together.

Think DI2 is still has the edge with one shifter one mech. This system will by nice for social riders where shifting speed not important. 

Agreed, but lets remember this is their first attement.

Shimano are now 3rd gen?

Also, no wires.... :) and as a person who has just gone through the process of trying to get a Mechanical and Di2 comaptible frame.... the idea of never having to worry about that again is very attractive.

Agreed, but lets remember this is their first attement.

Shimano are now 3rd gen?

Also, no wires.... :) and as a person who has just gone through the process of trying to get a Mechanical and Di2 comaptible frame.... the idea of never having to worry about that again is very attractive.

To be honest, worrying about an electronic groupset is about 5 years away at least for me :P

By then everything will be wireless 14 gears at the back and one at the front and the brakes will be internal hub discs which you cannot see.

In addition to the issue of not being able to change both front and rear simultaneously as many of us do, you also have to have both hands on the bars to change the FD.

Yea sometimes I will change gears one handed while eating or drinking. Crazy that you have to do it simultaneously.

To be honest, worrying about an electronic groupset is about 5 years away at least for me :P

By then everything will be wireless 14 16 gears at the back and one at the front and the brakes will be internal hub discs which you cannot see.

1 per year, just to keep us buying :)

In addition to the issue of not being able to change both front and rear simultaneously as many of us do, you also have to have both hands on the bars to change the FD.

Configure the blips on one side of the bar and next to each other. Then you can use your index and middle finger to effect the change or hold tour thumb across both blips.

Configure the blips on one side of the bar and next to each other. Then you can use your index and middle finger to effect the change or hold tour thumb across both blips.

The problem still remains without the blip things. You have to create a work around, if you paying a premium price, you should not have to make do a with a work around...

Also by using the blips there your hands are off the brakes. 

So...

Would the R30k better be spent on:

1. this groupset or
  2. a better frame and other components or
  3. better nutrition and training programs?

Which would make you faster?

Which would make you feel better about yourself?

Which would give you better street cred/brag rights with your riding group?

The problem still remains without the blip things. You have to create a work around, if you paying a premium price, you should not have to make do a with a work around...

Also by using the blips there your hands are off the brakes. 

You paying a premium price for the benefits it brings and you accept those. If not then you're not going to be buying it.

None of the systems are perfect. RED eTap offers an alternative take on the shifting and with workarounds it minimizes some of the negatives you mention while still retaining the positives.

More than that it cannot do.

The Processor as I currently understand is in the rear derailleur. It is a not a simple logic gate switching system from what I've read about it. Whether that processor has the capacity to handle more complex commands and positioning of the hardware we'll only know if someone buys one and strips out the brain for examination of the chips used.

Could be.... I interpreted it differently mainly due to the fd only being a receiver not a transmitter. Therefore you only change state of the fd rather than shifting up or shifting down. Although the "yaw" on the fd they speak of indicates that there is more processing than I originally thought.

Could be.... I interpreted it differently mainly due to the fd only being a receiver not a transmitter. Therefore you only change state of the fd rather than shifting up or shifting down. Although the "yaw" on the fd they speak of indicates that there is more processing than I originally thought.

the YAW is just the mechanical method for eliminating trim and chain rub, you find it on their mechanical groups as well.