Athletics

Capricorn

What a dumb f***ing comment. People are such scumbags.

is there something missing, because that statement sounds reasonable?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is there something missing, because that statement sounds reasonable?

These people have worked as hard as they can for this event. Lets not forget how little work ASA has done for any athlete in SA, and this is how they welcome them home? With a - you should have done better and we're all disappointed in you?! 

Maybe I'm reading it with the wrong intent because I'm all for constructive criticism, but it seems a tactless low blow from the entity who's supposed to be the ones building and nurturing the aport.

We cant blame ASA for mediocre athletes. Sure they can give better support, but you cant buy medals. Apart from Simbine we didn't have one medal hopeful. Its really sad seeing our athletes celebrating reaching semi finals as if they won gold.

We cant blame ASA for mediocre athletes. Sure they can give better support, but you cant buy medals. Apart from Simbine we didn't have one medal hopeful. Its really sad seeing our athletes celebrating reaching semi finals as if they won gold.

How so?

How so?

Its world champs, not high school colour meet. You compete to be the best in the world, there is no points for participation.

Its world champs, not high school colour meet. You compete to be the best in the world, there is no points for participation.

Gold or don't even turn up then? What a sad world that would be. Whats the point of competition.

Seriously chaps... Do you not understand how useless ASA are? Go look at what ASA has done for development over the past 10 years... And yet you guys expect them to perform? There are stories of more officials going over to these events and staying in penthouses while the athletes have to bunk up and fend for themselves. Team GB spent £1 million per athlete per year in preparation for the last Olympics. Go look at what ASA spent.

As for celebrating making a final.. This is the world championships... Making the final is a massive undertaking. Here in Ireland Ciara Mageean made it to the final of the 1500... Came last but still ran a PB. The competition is brutal and the dutch girl just destroyed the race. Her making the final was applauded and she was ecstatic... That is the difference between a body that is behind the athletes vs ASA.

Edited by Stretch

Gold or don't even turn up then? What a sad world that would be. Whats the point of competition.

You should at least be able to compete. Thats the point of competition. If your 100m PB is 1s slower than the slowest qualification time for the finals then you aren't competing. But hey, at least you got to go on a nice trip.

so what does it take to become a gold medallist athlete, with support that doesn't come from a national body?

Seriously chaps... Do you not understand how useless ASA are? Go look at what ASA has done for development over the past 10 years... And yet you guys expect them to perform? There are stories of more officials going over to these events and staying in penthouses while the athletes have to bunk up and fend for themselves.....

I would not be surprised at all if this was true. but surely there should be public records of how these budgets are spent?

if any SA athletes succeed it will be despite ASA, same can be said for CSA

I would not be surprised at all if this was true. but surely there should be public records of how these budgets are spent?

if any SA athletes succeed it will be despite ASA, same can be said for CSA

Famous last words in our beautiful country I'm afraid....

You can also google some past CEO's - Frik Vermaak and 'R1.00 Merc' Leonard Chuene for some stunning examples of how not to run an enterprise.

i think olympics/athleteics needs to overlook it's table scoring.

making an olympic final is unbelievable..only keeping tabs on the top 3 means that it becomes very elitist very quickly. and eventually a chequebook game.

IAAF already do this - the placing table. points for everyone in top8. 

We came 20th on that.

https://www.iaaf.org/Competitions/iaaf-world-championships/iaaf-world-athletics-championships-doha-2019-6033/placingtable

• 8 months later...