Review your dropper: A guide for buyers.

Raydek

So not having found anything like this elsewhere on BH and not wanting to clog up the Dropper Post Things Are Hotting Up thread, I thought that getting this going would be quite handy for people considering a new buy.

Tried doing this via a poll, but don't think it will work very well at all and didn't want to do a Survey Monkey off HB, so hope this works.

My next post will be a set of questions, quote it and populate the questions with answers. Try keep it short and sweet and to the point. 

My hope is that this brings the not so well known brands that work very well to light and also any problems and ones to avoid.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. Make/Model (year if known): 

A1. 

Q2. How long have you had it:

A2. 

Q3. Price (new):

A3. 

Q4. Drop (mm) and fixed or unlimited heights, mechanical or hydraulic:

A4. 

Q5. Yearly running cost (approx):

A5. 

Q6. Reliability 1 to 5 (5 excellent, 1 poor):

A6. 

Q7. Picture (if possible):

A7. 

Edited by Raydek

A1. Rockshox Reverb

A2. 1 Year

Q3. Price (new):

A3. R5000

Q4. Drop (mm):

A4. 125

A5. R0.00

A6. 5

A7. http://www.freshmtbreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/rs_reverb-black_28_12_z.jpg

A1. Specialized Command Post Blacklite

A2. 2 years

Q3. Price (new):

A3. R2500 - 3000

Q4. Drop (mm):

A4. 100mm

A5. 0 so far

A6. 5

A7. post-47285-0-25389100-1440752726_thumb.jpg

A1. KS i950r (2011)

A2. 4 years

Q3. Price (new):

A3. R2150

Q4. Drop (mm):

A4. 125mm

A5. R0

A6. 5

A7. http://www.watermanatwork.com/Land/Cycling/Reviews/KindShockSeatpost/KSi900r.jpg

Can't fault it. No bleed issues, Maintenance includes lubing the cable, keeping the mechanism clean and greasing the collar to keep things sliding nicely. 

Needs to be stripped and serviced soon though. Not entirely happy with the action. It has been 4 years though so not complaining!!

Can't fault it. No bleed issues, Maintenance includes lubing the cable, keeping the mechanism clean and greasing the collar to keep things sliding nicely.

Needs to be stripped and serviced soon though. Not entirely happy with the action. It has been 4 years though so not complaining!!

Is this mechanical or hydraulic?

Is there a Hydraulic 34.9mm Dropper available anywhere?

Use a shim with a 31.6

Rather use a shim with a 30,9. That way you've covered your arse when it comes time to buy a new bike...

A1. Giant Contact SL Switch (Internal or external routing) 2014 - 2015 model

A2. 1 Week

Q3. Price (new):

A3. R1999 but I paid R1500

A4. unlimited adjustment up to 100mm - air spring & oil bath cartridge

A5. 0

A6. 5 (But only had it for a week)

A7.post-79503-0-30497900-1440762741_thumb.jpg

Edited by BattleScar

Rather use a shim with a 30,9. That way you've covered your arse when it comes time to buy a new bike...

I would just sell the bike with the dropper in there and get a new one later should I decide to upgrade/change or whatever...

Less hassle that way....

My rockshox reverb has crapped out twice on me now (once I think I had seat clamp too tight).

Its been 3 months since it went way for repairs. 

I've kinda given up on it - but if it comes back next week (apparently) I'll give it one more chance because when it did work, it was awesome.

A1. Stealth Reverb 2014

A2. 18 months

Q3. Price (new):

A3. Came with bike

A4. 150mm,hydraulic

A5. Nil to date

A6. 2/5. 1st one replaced under warranty. Replacement now acting up a bit and needs a major service due to air above piston.

A7. Sorry

Q8. Would you buy the same again?

A8. I would look around for a more reliable option with lower maintenance cost. The rebuild kit and tools for this Reverb are pricey....costs more than a shock to service but does much less work....

Edited by JXV

A1. Forca Vario 27.2

A2. A week

Q3. Price (new): 
A3. R1995

A4. 100mm

A5. Nil to date

A6. Cant say yet

A7. Sorry

Q8. Would you buy the same again?
A8. So far I'm pleased. But hard to say just yet.

Notes:

Getting the cable housing adjusted and setting the tension on the unit was tricky but not difficult. On this note it seems getting the tension just right is key. I rode it around my driveway a fair amount just getting the tension right on the barrel adjuster. Too much and it doesn't stay put too little and the throw of the lever is annoyingly long.

There is definite front rear play maybe 5mm or less but you feel it when installing the post and you notice it moving the bike around but honestly you wouldn't know while riding. I don't see front rear play being a problem so I've decided I don't care. Saw one guy review this dropper and say he found play and sent it straight back, the fact is the play is well documented and seems to have no effect on operation. I can see I'm going to need to get used to this bump to raise the seat thing but I'm already feeling like I can get it right so it should become second nature quick enough. When I first got it getting it all the way down seemed problematic because the rubber boot bunched up but once I got cable tension right and made it go up and down a few times the problem seemed to go away. Finally the mid point is a little difficult to find it seems to want to go all the way down but then you can simply bring it back up to half way so its a minor niggle and I'm pretty sure I'll soon start finding the mid spot easily. Overall I'm pleased and it really doesn't feel that heavy I was worried but honestly I think my fears where unfounded, I had wondered if I would be putting it on and taking it off for xc and enduro events but I can see that I'll be keeping it on permanently now. Cant wait to actually take it somewhere technical but work is getting in the way this week.

Update:

Well I went for a ride this morning and while I was rubbish due to general tiredness the dropper was a game changer. Suddenly I can feel the balance point when attempting a manual. I'm sure this will get me to a proper manual soon. Dropping off 3 step curbs suddenly feels effortless. Jumps are higher and more controlled. I can corner like I'm riding an enduro course on the downs and pop the saddle back up for the flats and the ups. Everything was more fun which was good because I was so knackered. I have to work on keeping my wheel straight when I loft it over stuff since I have a habit of pulling to the right but the fact that I can now use a weight shift to loft the front wheel is amazing. Its this effortless sensation that I can tell is going to completely change the way I tackle any sort of technical terrain. I'm well pleased. I will admit that the whole bump to raise the saddle thing is going to take some getting used to. Its a bit of a flow killer and I'm still thinking too much about the dropper but that will change given time I'm sure. Its a bit like having a front derailiuer again I often had to think do I want my saddle up or down for this.

Edited by BenGraham