Riding at Dinokeng

Uni

Have an option for a few days away at a private lodge in Dinokeng - any riding there? I see on their site they offer guided rides - wanna go amble around on my own.

Or places close by if I take my bike along?

Hi. As far as I am aware - there is lions roaming in Dinokeng. . . And a few ellies. Closest place is Buffelsdrift just outside Pretoria. And there was an event in Rust de Winter at some time. Not too sure where and what it was called. Think it was at the 4x4 atv club...

Hi. As far as I am aware - there is lions roaming in Dinokeng. . .

Ok... Scrap that idea

I've been to buffelsdrift once, struggled on those rocky bits coming down.. but I'll keep it open as a option.. Tx.

• 3 years later...

I was there around 1st quarter 2017 and riding was only allowed inside the camping grounds and up to the day visitors area. The fenced off reserve was still off limits. I didn't ask about any guided rides.

edit: I was there quite a while ago, so things may have changed, but I doubt it.

Edited by Dirkitech

Dinokeng is actually a Big 5 Reserve and all game are free roaming, so not only Ellie’s and Lions to worry about but also Rhino, Buffalo and possibly Leopard. Cycling is permitted but only within the confides of certain concessions such as Pride of Africa, but you will need to be staying at one of the self catering lodges there. It’s a small piece of land, you will rack up a max 1,5km loop. Which lodge are you going to, Mongena?

Edited by ValeYellow

We were at Dinokeng this weekend, and I personally wouldn't brave cycling there. We saw a substantial amount of game and not that much traffic flow, so you're in a pretty precarious situation even if you were to sneak in or they allow you in. 

As ValeYellow stated, not that big of a reserve and pretty flat, so the riding wouldn't even be that entertaining to be honest.

Dinokeng is actually a Big 5 Reserve and all game are free roaming, so not only Ellie’s and Lions to worry about but also Rhino, Buffalo and possibly Leopard. Cycling is permitted but only within the confides of certain concessions such as Pride of Africa, but you will need to be staying at one of the self catering lodges there. It’s a small piece of land, you will rack up a max 1,5km loop. Which lodge are you going to, Mongena?

Not sure where we are staying, should get all the info later this week.

Looks like I will be leaving the bike at home

Thanks for the info everyone  :thumbup:

We were at Dinokeng this weekend, and I personally wouldn't brave cycling there. We saw a substantial amount of game and not that much traffic flow, so you're in a pretty precarious situation even if you were to sneak in or they allow you in. 

As ValeYellow stated, not that big of a reserve and pretty flat, so the riding wouldn't even be that entertaining to be honest.

The Dinokeng Reserve is 18 000ha so its not that small, its the enclosed camps that are pretty small, so not worth the effort to be honest. I own a hospitality management company and I do the sales and marketing for Dinokeng, however what is exciting is that I am working on a concession in Phalaborwa whereby we will be offering professionally guided MTB tours with a Big 5 reserve - cycle for about 40km day 1, night over in a tented camp, continue the next day for another 60km or so before spending another night in a tented camp, and the next day a short 20-30km ride back to the main lodge. Watch this space.  

The Dinokeng Reserve is 18 000ha so its not that small, its the enclosed camps that are pretty small, so not worth the effort to be honest. I own a hospitality management company and I do the sales and marketing for Dinokeng, however what is exciting is that I am working on a concession in Phalaborwa whereby we will be offering professionally guided MTB tours with a Big 5 reserve - cycle for about 40km day 1, night over in a tented camp, continue the next day for another 60km or so before spending another night in a tented camp, and the next day a short 20-30km ride back to the main lodge. Watch this space.  

I would easily sign up for something like that.

Was itching to do one of the Kruger hikes but I always feel more vulnerable on foot.

On a Bicycle I think I might have a slightly better chance at getting away from a dangerous animal, even though I know it is actually not the case, but I would be more at ease.

A few years back I went riding with my kids along a river within the Dinokeng reserve.

The farm manager warned us "just be careful, sometimes there's crocodile in the river!" I thought he was exaggerating. :rolleyes:

Two kilometers in, just as we arrived at the river the path drops down to the river bank and turns sharp left. At exactly the point where one might fall into the water, was a proper size lizard facing the trail! :eek:

We did not come back the same way.

A few years back I went riding with my kids along a river within the Dinokeng reserve.

The farm manager warned us "just be careful, sometimes there's crocodile in the river!" I thought he was exaggerating. :rolleyes:

Two kilometers in, just as we arrived at the river the path drops down to the river bank and turns sharp left. At exactly the point where one might fall into the water, was a proper size lizard facing the trail! :eek:

We did not come back the same way.

There are also a healthy number of hippos in the various water systems for good measure.

I would easily sign up for something like that.

Was itching to do one of the Kruger hikes but I always feel more vulnerable on foot.

On a Bicycle I think I might have a slightly better chance at getting away from a dangerous animal, even though I know it is actually not the case, but I would be more at ease.

A bicycle also creates a barrier between you and what wants to potentially eat you - albeit it may only delay the inevitable :blink:

Don't want to hijack the post from OP - but keep an eye out for a feature post in the near future. 

A bicycle also creates a barrier between you and what wants to potentially eat you - albeit it may only delay the inevitable :blink:

Don't want to hijack the post from OP - but keep an eye out for a feature post in the near future. 

Please hijack