Is 'losing' weight really the difficult part?

NotSoBigBen

your a funny guy, our commute was 60-80km a day then 3-4 hour rides weekends,,,,but this you know :devil:

I was once told by a mate "if you go on a hunger strike you will die of boredom" 

Meant 30km one way...SOZ  :blush:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my 2zim cents,,,,look at all the diet threads, fads, new ways to loose weight, everyone is different simple, I would love see all our PROs here come to my work  and tell me about food in and exercise with my mechanics, these okes pull in with 2 FULL  lunch boxes of sandwiches white bread, they order cokes @2lt a time through out the whole  day, and lunch time they eat half loaf with russians and slap chips or a vetkoek , then at night they drink the miners on pay day,Their idea of exercise is who is walking to the shebeen for the ZAMALEG at the end of the day . I will put money on the fact that my 3 little dutchies have less body fat than 95% of the hubbers, and they all over 35, i know a few okes in my industry of heavy drinkers and entertaining daily who are not fat,,,,,,then again I know plenty of fat ones,,,,,,if you need to diet for years to maintain weight look no further than your parents

THATS MY 2ZIM CENTS 

my 2zim cents,,,,look at all the diet threads, fads, new ways to loose weight, everyone is different simple, I would love see all our PROs here come to my work  and tell me about food in and exercise with my mechanics, these okes pull in with 2 FULL  lunch boxes of sandwiches white bread, they order cokes @2lt a time through out the whole  day, and lunch time they eat half loaf with russians and slap chips or a vetkoek , then at night they drink the miners on pay day,Their idea of exercise is who is walking to the shebeen for the ZAMALEG at the end of the day . I will put money on the fact that my 3 little dutchies have less body fat than 95% of the hubbers, and they all over 35, i know a few okes in my industry of heavy drinkers and entertaining daily who are not fat,,,,,,then again I know plenty of fat ones,,,,,,if you need to diet for years to maintain weight look no further than your parents

THATS MY 2ZIM CENTS 

Energy in = energy out. If you burn what you consume, you will stay thin.

What you consume, and how you burn it, is of little relevance to the laws of science.

I eat the same food as I did last year. Pizza, burgers, chips, veg, salad, chocolates, cake, whatever.

I weighed about 6kg more last year though (76kg at 1.83 is current weight, 82kg on the scale last year). What's different, is portion size. Burn what you put in.

Our fam has been on a diet for just over a month now. The men all lost the kg's much faster than the woman did.

My wife went for her vitality check up 7 months preggers, the brick of a nurse recorded her weight making no allowance for the other human she was carting around. She was told she was obese and we did not get the points for that check up.  :cursing:

Sent her back to the same brick of a nurse 3 months after Lance was born and she was so impressed my wife had lost close to 21kg in 5 months.  :clap: She then told my wife to maintain her diet to stay at this weight.... 

Sometimes the mind boggles. 

Energy in = energy out. If you burn what you consume, you will stay thin.

What you consume, and how you burn it, is of little relevance to the laws of science.

bud i know what you say and science, you welcome to come check what these okes put away and have been doing for years, these guys have all worked 10 years plus,,,heavy drinkers and smokers trust me there is no exercise, they work hard but i dont work them like slaves

Interesting that someone mentioned 'banting', I have never actually read or subscribed to any diet. When asked I refer to it as the 'I am old enough to know what I should and shouldn't eat diet' .... bread, not just the store churned out pre-sliced, pre-packed hungry bread type but rather home made or fresh etc. and sugar, chocolates, fizzy drinks and so on, rice/potatoes with a nice stew or gravy - those I have found over the years to be my 'kryptonite'.

We keep no snacks at home so pretty easy to avoid that boredom snacking in front of the TV and so on BUT it does irritate my son who still lives at home 'I'm NOT on a diet' he always says  :devil:

To my mind, and believe me my wife and her mates get mad at me, losing weight is really not that difficult  :ph34r:

I mean how to do it is well recognised and most people know that if you 'eat less and poo more' (as copyrighted by Gnarly) you will lose weight.

The keeping it off and making it a lifestyle is the hard part ..... many get to their perceived 'goal' weight and then want to go back to some kind of normal diet which, at least to me, is a slippery slope.

I have come to terms with the fact that I will need to stay on my current eating plan forever, so I have had to give up lots of stuff but you know what I am OK with that!

So what is your strategy to keep it off?

Its not a diet but a lifestyle

I eat pretty much what i want and when I want, but always compensate by adjusting what I eat depending on what i ate recently. Be aware of what you eat each day and compensate accordingly.

Aarrrggghhh I really struggle. I keep going up and down. It feels like if I don't weigh myself everyday, I get totally out of hand. I don't eat bread or pasta, potatoes only about twice a month. No sugar in my tea. No fizzy drinks etc. No snacks at home. Work can be a nightmare with lots of temptations, sometimes I resist, sometimes I don't. But if I don't keep a really keen eye on it, I just slide. It always feels like a constant battle. I wish I could just train my body to know when enough is enough and it would really help if I didn't like sweet things.

Aarrrggghhh I really struggle. I keep going up and down. It feels like if I don't weigh myself everyday, I get totally out of hand. I don't eat bread or pasta, potatoes only about twice a month. No sugar in my tea. No fizzy drinks etc. No snacks at home. Work can be a nightmare with lots of temptations, sometimes I resist, sometimes I don't. But if I don't keep a really keen eye on it, I just slide. It always feels like a constant battle. I wish I could just train my body to know when enough is enough and it would really help if I didn't like sweet things.

Read this: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/are-your-hunger-hormones-sabotaging-your-fat-loss.html?mcid=SM_facenutrition

ride more and eat less junk.

Last 6 weeks have been strict fasted[no solid food] training so nothing from 8pm till about 10am the next morning, but this was just to break a plateau and has helped me drop like 5kg. 

I was once told, the longer it takes to come off, the longer it will stay off. it has taken me 23 weeks to lose 16kg.

I enjoy what I eat, I enjoy riding my bike so I think I will be able to maintain this once I get to my goal weight.

THATS MY 2ZIM CENTS 

I disagree with this. the stuff around our waist is fat cells, not gene cells. We are fat due to unhealthy lifestyles. If you see an over weight family you will noticed that they have the same lifestyle habits.

The only role that genes play is determining where the fat cells accumulate and yes, some people/ families will get fat more quickly than others. carb intolerance probably is in the genes.

this is my opinion only. I didn't read it any ware or state it as a fact. Only a  personal conclusion.

I disagree with this. the stuff around our waist is fat cells, not gene cells. We are fat due to unhealthy lifestyles. If you see an over weight family you will noticed that they have the same lifestyle habits.

The only role that genes play is determining where the fat cells accumulate and yes, some people/ families will get fat more quickly than others. carb intolerance probably is in the genes.

this is my opinion only. I didn't read it any ware or state it as a fact. Only a  personal conclusion.

Genes tell the fat cells where to go...

Not getting racist here but just look at White Afrikaner men - big bellies and Black African women - big bums.

Its where their genes tell the body to store the fat. Some people just never get fat ever while others pick up weight easily. 

I have a colleague at work that eats Mc donalds every day... he weighs in at 38kg - never picks up weight, never exercises but is he healthy? No he is not.

Genes tell the fat cells where to go...

Not getting racist here but just look at White Afrikaner men - big bellies and Black African women - big bums.

Its where their genes tell the body to store the fat. Some people just never get fat ever while others pick up weight easily. 

I have a colleague at work that eats Mc donalds every day... he weighs in at 38kg - never picks up weight, never exercises but is he healthy? No he is not.

38kg!!?? Is this person 10 years old?