When do you buy a 'new' bike?

nox1111

I started out on a Silverback 26er HT entry level bike, then only upgraded to a new better, still quite cheapish, 29er with better specs, disc brakes etc and then from the "new" HT after 3 years to full suspension. I will never be a podium finisher so my bikes are not the expensive ones but I really enjoy the full suspension a lot. I had two lower back ops in the last 3 years hence the reason for the full susser and wanted to keep on cycling. I still have my "new" HT, given it to my wife but my son uses it more regularly and on occasion I still ride it as well.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its simple.  You buy a bike when you tick one, or more or all of the following criteria (generally either one by itself is enough reason):

1. you have cash on hand

2. you see the bike you cannot ride without

3. you want to

4. you find a bargain

5. you have an itch for a new ride

7. you really really really want to.

8. n+1

9. you have your credit card handy

10. you go buy groceries :ph34r:

My biggest hurdle, is justifying the price of a new bike to myself.

You mentioned other hobbies. I'd like to shape a new board, I have 3 but I want something different. Its been 2 years since I had one made for myself. Its also about time I got a new wetsuit as well. My booties also tore this winter. I could get a new suit, board, bag, fins, booties and leash for under 10k. Even if I splurged by spoiling myself with top of the range surf stuff it would cost less than 15k. I often asked myself. What do I love more? Barreling my tits off or bombing trails. Its something I sometimes feel 50/50 over. But if I'm honest with myself, as passionate as I am about cycling and at the risk of getting flamed on a cycling forum. I think its fair to say that surfing has 51% of my heart and riding 49%. 

Despite all this. I won't spend the 15k on surf stuff. I reluctant to even shape a new board for 5k. Why? Because mountain biking needs the money more. I feel robbed. But I soldier on. Saving for that new trail bike. Because I too have the concern that eventually I'm going to struggle to find 26er stuff. (I have three 26ers)

Being a husband and father and all that it comes with should go without saying. I had my microwave and washing machine give in during the same month. Saving isn't easy. But

I get the sense from your post that its not really about affording the bike but rather about justifying the expense. I understand that. I really do. No matter how many shoes I buy the wife, even if I get her the best yoga mat there is. Still doesn't come close to the cost of a new bike. Sure we could travel and I could pretend its for her and the kids. But I would still selfishly opt for a destination with waves and trails. The conscience dilemma. 

Having said all that I still love riding my 26ers. There are times that I'm out on the trails and witness guys on flashy new bikes that simply don't do justice to the bikes capabilities.

I myself sometimes feel that I have not achieved the full potential of my own bikes either. It makes me wonder if those guys think they got their moneys worth. 

how long is a piece of string thread of note!

My biggest hurdle, is justifying the price of a new bike to myself.

You mentioned other hobbies. I'd like to shape a new board, I have 3 but I want something different. Its been 2 years since I had one made for myself. Its also about time I got a new wetsuit as well. My booties also tore this winter. I could get a new suit, board, bag, fins, booties and leash for under 10k. Even if I splurged by spoiling myself with top of the range surf stuff it would cost less than 15k. I often asked myself. What do I love more? Barreling my tits off or bombing trails. Its something I sometimes feel 50/50 over. But if I'm honest with myself, as passionate as I am about cycling and at the risk of getting flamed on a cycling forum. I think its fair to say that surfing has 51% of my heart and riding 49%. 

Despite all this. I won't spend the 15k on surf stuff. I reluctant to even shape a new board for 5k. Why? Because mountain biking needs the money more. I feel robbed. But I soldier on. Saving for that new trail bike. Because I too have the concern that eventually I'm going to struggle to find 26er stuff. (I have three 26ers)

Being a husband and father and all that it comes with should go without saying. I had my microwave and washing machine give in during the same month. Saving isn't easy. But

I get the sense from your post that its not really about affording the bike but rather about justifying the expense. I understand that. I really do. No matter how many shoes I buy the wife, even if I get her the best yoga mat there is. Still doesn't come close to the cost of a new bike. Sure we could travel and I could pretend its for her and the kids. But I would still selfishly opt for a destination with waves and trails. The conscience dilemma. 

Having said all that I still love riding my 26ers. There are times that I'm out on the trails and witness guys on flashy new bikes that simply don't do justice to the bikes capabilities.

I myself sometimes feel that I have not achieved the full potential of my own bikes either. It makes me wonder if those guys think they got their moneys worth. 

totally agree, especially since I have lots of sports. BUT you can't really compare surfing to cycling - drop R20k on surfing kit, and you're a ponce. Because you're beyond the realm of dimishing returns, the only guys who would benefit from that spend are pros - and they're sponsored already. That ballpark in cycling terms is probably R80/90k.

To each his/her own I say. My dream bike is a Pyga Oneten29. However, dropping R50+ K on a bike right now just ain't gonna happen. I have one kid at varsity, and one going soon. I was riding a 2004 Diamond Back Topanga Comp with a Deore LX group set and a RockShox Judy TT fork :w00t: . Gave that bike to my youngest lad, and bought a practically new GT Karakoram for real cheap from my cousin.

Over several months I have upgraded it to full XT group set, bar the brakes, which are old Hayes MX2 mechanicals - but hey, I have XT brake levers! - and LX shifters - all 9-speed components bought from hubbers at very reasonable prices. Next up is a new wheel set, but only when the current rims go pear shaped (pun intended).

Having said all this, if you are in a position to go out and buy a new bike, goferit, if that's what you want. Life's too short. Most importantly, keep the pedals turning, and have fun whilst doing so. :thumbup:

I think in most cases,including my own,its a itch that needs to be scratched(#BrandonF).I started cycling in December 2013 and I am currently on my fourth 'main' bike.

Only one of them was a new bike,the rest were all either built up or purchased second hand.I currently have most of my itches scratched with my three bikes.XTC 29er for training and racing Gt 26er singlespeed for commuting and playing around on trails and a GT road bike for the ocational road ride.

Although I feel contempt with my current bikes for each of theire intended uses I still have a itch for a fatbike,but that is a itch I cant yet justify to scratch.

Seems like you've dialed in your ride for you and the way you pedal. If you enjoy it then don't worry, just have fun. I've never once worried about riding my Trance 26'r in the face of 29'rs that cost 5x the price, maybe if I did races as opposed to trail then that would change as it's what works best for the riding you do. Personally I love smaller bikes and have have ridden alot of BMX so bigger wheels haven't really worked for me. They do on the other hand work for some of my riding buddies and how they ride.

Same with the surfing, 10 boards in the shed all different and all there for essentially the  same act but all different, different feelings and different sensations and they've all stayed on the rack because they are all awesome fun and perfect for me!

My girlfriend knew I wanted a road bike to do some touring. So she helped buy me a Bianchi along with Bianchi kit. I'm putting a ring on her finger!

Sorry did not mean to brag. :oops:

Beware!!!post-54774-1443472584,0995.jpg

For me its a mixed bag. I don't really change bikes just for the sake of it. If I get a new bike I must be able do do something new on it so I do keep my bikes fairly long. I slowly upgrade components over time to keep them fresh.

I got home the other day and my wife told me to buy a new bike. She even found one for me. I love my wife.

I would love to take credit for being so selfless and supportive...but the truth is I want new race wheels for my trackbike and new road shoes. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.... ^_^

Thanks peeps, I think Popcorn_skollie summed it up best - I find it difficult to justify the price to myself, and wanted to see how other can do it almost haphazardly.

I shape surfboards, and recently sold all my personal boards to make room for a new quiver, already filled the empty quiver with 4 new boards, but as I'm shaping them myself and mine was all sold, it was a perfect trade-off.

Now selling a bike and buying a bike is not the same, as what you sell you get peanuts for and what you buy, you pay top dollar for. 

I think it comes down to this; bikes are fun, bikes are beyond awesome, but - and this is a big but (Sir Mixalot would approve) bikes are not assets - they are investments.  Returns are never going to be monetary gain - in fact just the opposite as the more money you can throw at it, the more money it will eat. They are tools, and toys, give freedom, and health, sense of achievement and stoke beyond words.

More money spent on your dreambike, doesn't translate to more stoke necessarily, but it very well might...

Archived