[Event] 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talking of tandems, I have a soft spot for them from the years I rode the Argus with my youngsters, before they started riding it on their own bikes, so I often have a chat with them.

Two tandems stood out on Sunday:

1)A classic silver Du Toit tandem in perfect condition that I passed on Smitswinkels, such a beaut!

2) An old steel one with a young couple that I passed on Chappies. They were climbing with the single bikes while their music pumped out Brian Adams "18 till I die". Fantastic stuff, I sang that in my head all the way to the top! Vibemakers those two!

I also have a soft spot for tandems, mostly because of the few times I have had to make use of them to get back into the bunch. Either going down Chappies to the bottom of Suikerbossie, or over the top of Suikerbossie towards the finish line.

I have also made the rather silly mistake of trying to push a tandem up a hill to say thank you to all the other tandems I have wheelsucked. I definitely bit of more than I could chew and almost died a thousand deaths trying to push a father/daughter combo on an old steel frame Du Toit tandem!

Guessing or do you have the actual source for that number? Only way I see getting an accurate answer is if you have access to the actual results database at Racetec and you can do a query to see how many people have two results for Sunday. 

Guessing or do you have the actual source for that number? Only way I see getting an accurate answer is if you have access to the actual results database at Racetec and you can do a query to see how many people have two results for Sunday. 

Its pretty accurate, as more people are added and queries fixed I am sure the number will rise a little. 

Hahaha,No I rode in 1B,was walking around...and saw him..I am sure I still asked you if that was him...

Ok yes I remember a guy asking me. Good to meet you if I can call it that.

***warning to other weight weenies***

Busy with replacement quotes for the Ultimates that got banged up

Oh jinne!

How prices have jumped

Need to review my insurance cover

I posted last week how my mates were betting against me finishing my first full length CTCT.

Glad to say I FINISHED!!!

5 hours of pedaling and I made it.

Thanks to all you guys for the support and words of encouragement.

It's the best race ever!

So I made about R3 000 for a charity from my mates. Not too shabby :)

***warning to other weight weenies***

Busy with replacement quotes for the Ultimates that got banged up

Oh jinne!

How prices have jumped

Need to review my insurance cover

Have a look at Tokens

A bit before Chappies there were supporters playing Eye of the Tiger, when I heard it 2nd time round I asked if that was all they play and they said yes. Imagine listening to that all day.

As we started with the first bit of Suikerbossie (is it even called Suikerbossie yet there?), I heard Creedence Clearwater Revival's Bad moon rising, specifically the "I see trouble's on the way...."

Had to smile at the perfect timing

How many of those 54 are hubbers?

4 of them were Savages, thats about all I know. 

Wonder what the fastest second lap was.

I am, also a guy that works at my company did it twice but he is not a hubber. So that leaves 52 to go. I started with 3 other guys that I met at the traffic lights of M6/Buitengracht. I told them I have never done this before so I'm clueless, the one guy said he has done it before so I just followed them to 8E. 

With 1KM to go this guy and a girl came flying past with "2nd lap" stickers on their back. Manage to catch up with them, they were pretty quick. I did 03:54:45 on the 2nd.

I am, also a guy that works at my company did it twice but he is not a hubber. So that leaves 52 to go. I started with 3 other guys that I met at the traffic lights of M6/Buitengracht. I told them I have never done this before so I'm clueless, the one guy said he has done it before so I just followed them to 8E.

With 1KM to go this guy and a girl came flying past with "2nd lap" stickers on their back. Manage to catch up with them, they were pretty quick. I did 03:54:45 on the 2nd.

Well done. I did 3:58 on my first (and only lap).

With 1KM to go this guy and a girl came flying past with "2nd lap" stickers on their back. Manage to catch up with them, they were pretty quick.

I also started the second lap in 8E.  In Lakeside I rode with 3 Savages for a while.  One was riding a stealthy black Cervelo S5.  Very nice bike!

4 of them were Savages, thats about all I know. 

Wonder what the fastest second lap was.

I did a second lap. 3:47 starting in 7H

Archived