[Event] 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

My first sub 3 yesterday, in 2h55:38 from 1A. All the way

from a 3h21:08 and S batch in 2011. Chuffed!

Had to be this year with the great weather! Bad luck to Spoke and those who crashed.

Many near misses out there, with large batches, riders jostling for the front and narrow roads.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats my shoe you got on the left Lol...

Ja I was actually trying to take a photo of your shoe and Nino photo bombed.

Did you ride tandems with me or elites with Nino? I took the photo from the front row of the tandem group.

Mostly the same further down the 1 groups. Don't think I've ever unclipped that much.

Same in 1G. My race ended on the turn into the last climb on Smits. Caught in the middle of the bunch with riders unclipping. Continual stop/start on every little climb. Had my hanger bracket taken out from behind! Limped to top of Smits but then had no gearing when we reached the top. Terrible feeling watching the bunches fly in the tail wind! Spun my way to Scarborough were mechanic tried to assist but ended up braking the hanger bracket off completely. No spare in his tool kit! That's racing I guess. Perfect day for a PB and possible sub 3. Roll on 2017.

These things happen. My only gripe is the number of riders who obviously don't have the skills to ride in larger bunches. They are jittery and stick out like sore thumbs. They should ride on the outside of the bunch until they have the confidence to ride up close. While they might be fit enough to ride there, their lack of skill is a huge risk to the rest of the riders around.

Damn, sorry to hear about your misfortune! I was one of the front guys in 2C! For me the pace was really hectic up front ,especially going up Edinburgh...felt like my heart was going to pop. Anyway hanged-on to the front bunch till before Chappies when the legs popped! My mate dropped back and we cycled a steady pace over Chappies and to the top of Suikerbossie. And then the hammer went down. 5km to go and doing about 42-45kph a guy clipped my back wheel and took 2 other riders with him! Moved over to the side and looked back and saw the one guy fly over the guy in front of him...not a pretty sight and I doubt whether any of them would have been able to finish the race! Finished in 3h15 eventually. Btw I hope the riders are "ok" that went down!

2C was not a bad group to ride in. I was droped at Edinburgh thanks to my Full 5 days of training this year for the Argus. Climbed at my own pace and got into the second 2c group at the top of Edinburgh. We all stuck till smits and then the awesome wind helped a lot. At the start of chappies it was every man for himself. Bad crash just after small chappies and before the last right hander at the bottom of chappies. Must say the spectators at suikerbossie was a lot less this year then before?! Was a fast ride from the top to finnish in 3:19. was going for a 4-4:15 but the wind helped a lot this year.

True . .I was there as well,but it was really fun. What bike do you have?

Think I saw you guys out there! My wife and I was on the raleigh tandem with green Star South kit and the jukebox!

Had an absolute blast of a time! Started in 2B and aimed for a sub 4 as we only did 4 tandem training rides of which only one was longer (60km) than 40km...well that was the plan...till the gun went off and my usual competitiveness kicked in and wanted to chase everything down. I knew our wheels will come off at some stage...seems our luck was in and it was only in the last 5km! Ended up with a 3:09 and the most enjoyable Tour yet! Enjoyed the vibe and attitude of everyone we rode with!

Talking of tandems, I have a soft spot for them from the years I rode the Argus with my youngsters, before they started riding it on their own bikes, so I often have a chat with them.

Two tandems stood out on Sunday:

1)A classic silver Du Toit tandem in perfect condition that I passed on Smitswinkels, such a beaut!

2) An old steel one with a young couple that I passed on Chappies. They were climbing with the single bikes while their music pumped out Brian Adams "18 till I die". Fantastic stuff, I sang that in my head all the way to the top! Vibemakers those two!

Hey, Hey lekker to see you back! Your Zipp's have won several Elite ladies' races while you were away!

Hi Talus.

Its great to BE back, thanks.

Could have used those Firecrests yesterday but so happy to hear they're in good hands - and legs obviously.... :thumbup:

M

So i had a crap day on the bike. Picked up a stomach bug friday and couldnt keep anything down until one slice of toast sunday morning. Yet decided to try it out. (lost 4 kilos in 2 days - good for the diet not good if your not very fit in general)

Anyway decided to go with the wife and see how it plays out. Was fine until simonstown. There i started getting dizzy and soon after very nauseous made it to the waterpoint just before noordhoek and there i flooded like ive never before. Went to the medical tent and my pulse was racing, they gave me some injections and told me to rather call it a day. This was at 12h.

So i've never even bothered to check out how the sweepers work but i fount out yesterday. They radio for a sweeper and the doc told me the previous guy was gone in 30 minutes. After an hour a sweeper came but had only spots for two, so it was me and a lady with a broken hand. When we got to the actual sweeper another person on the road climbed in so only a spot for 1.

So i let the lady go, then they tell me the big sweep is at noordhoek, 3 kilos down the road, just ride there. Off i go, few minutes later i am there. Only to find out there are guys there that have crashed out at 8h30 the morning, its 13h now. So the problem was, the big sweep was at the noordhoek farm village and the police blocked the road off at the bottom where the cyclists come past. So every small sweep that comes past they tell them to keep going road closed.

We ended up waiting untill 3pm when the race was stopped at noordhoek for the bus to fill up so we can leave.

This is the most pathetic organizing i have ever seen. I understand the bus can't ride with 20 poeple in it but hell dont let the small sweeps pass then. We ended up back at the stadium only at 16h10. more than 4 hours for me but for the poor other guys it was almost 8 hours of waiting.

The argus will never ever see me again.

I was one of the guys waiting at Noordhoek Farm Village after having lost my hanger bracket having been hit from behind at around 8am. Loaded bikes into trucks and was then told our mega bus would leave when full. If not filled they would only leave at 3pm. Ridiculous! Why use the bigger buses. Why not just use the Mini's only. These fill much faster. Secondly, why put the water point at the farm village and not the intersection turning left towards Chappies. Would be so much easier and faster to shuttle ill fated riders back over Ou Kaapse Weg instead of along the route itself!

Anyway, we managed to Uber back at 12. Bus and trucks only left at 3. Thanks to Joseph and James for the uber ride. Big up to Irene, our Uber driver ????????

Cool, finally the results are showing! This year I did 4 CTCT events  :clap:

attachicon.gif4-in-1.gif

My dear sir, I bow to your superiority! :thumbup:  I truly believe this is an achievement to be very proud off. Kudos to you!!!!! I wish you luck with your Transkaroo MTB race on the 30th of April. When you get to the finish, please have a beer for me in my town of birth! I was born in the Sutherland hospital at about 5 on that Sunday morning, the 24th of February 1963.

Think I saw you guys out there! My wife and I was on the raleigh tandem with green Star South kit and the jukebox!Had an absolute blast of a time! Started in 2B and aimed for a sub 4 as we only did 4 tandem training rides of which only one was longer (60km) than 40km...well that was the plan...till the gun went off and my usual competitiveness kicked in and wanted to chase everything down. I knew our wheels will come off at some stage...seems our luck was in and it was only in the last 5km! Ended up with a 3:09 and the most enjoyable Tour yet! Enjoyed the vibe and attitude of everyone we rode with!

I remember the tandem with the sub woofer on the back.

I passed such tandem (male / female) down on Chappies with my second lap.

I just remembered this huge heavy speaker /box on the back of the tandem, and my thought was : such heavy huge sub, but no sound???

well done -excellent time!!!

Talking of tandems, I have a soft spot for them from the years I rode the Argus with my youngsters, before they started riding it on their own bikes, so I often have a chat with them.Two tandems stood out on Sunday:1)A classic silver Du Toit tandem in perfect condition that I passed on Smitswinkels, such a beaut!2) An old steel one with a young couple that I passed on Chappies. They were climbing with the single bikes while their music pumped out Brian Adams "18 till I die". Fantastic stuff, I sang that in my head all the way to the top! Vibemakers those two!

What group were you in? Might be us that you passed, had the speaker going and "18 till I die" was on our playlist:)

I remember the tandem with the sub woofer on the back.

I passed such tandem (male / female) down on Chappies with my second lap.

I just remembered this huge heavy speaker /box on the back of the tandem, and my thought was : such heavy huge sub, but no sound???

well done -excellent time!!!

Nope,wasn't us,we had a small bluetooth speaker strapped to the front of the bike.

A 5H rider told me today he saw a five-seater tandem (whatever that's called)  motoring along at one heck of a lick - I told him to pull the other leg - but he said it was true.

So was it - anyone else see this 10-legged machine in action ?

Nope,wasn't us,we had a small bluetooth speaker strapped to the front of the bike.

Thought so. That tandem (to be honest) did not looked like a 3h09 tandem...lol.

Anyway, congrats on you time.

My dear sir, I bow to your superiority! :thumbup:  I truly believe this is an achievement to be very proud off. Kudos to you!!!!! I wish you luck with your Transkaroo MTB race on the 30th of April. When you get to the finish, please have a beer for me in my town of birth! I was born in the Sutherland hospital at about 5 on that Sunday morning, the 24th of February 1963.

:P Thank, but I would call it addiction, not superiority, I love all the events that form part of CTCT. If I make Transkaroo I can assure I will have more than one beer, but I'll have one on your behalf. Lovely town with a really "chill" vibe  ;)

A 5H rider told me today he saw a five-seater tandem (whatever that's called) motoring along at one heck of a lick - I told him to pull the other leg - but he said it was true.

So was it - anyone else see this 10-legged machine in action ?

We passed it too. Orange machine 5 riders long