[Event] 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was also in 2b at the front, it was chaos in simonstown, I just stayed on the right. And then at smits a few of us broke away to get out of trouble. After suikerbos it was hammer down and deep into the hurt locker crossed the line in 3:07

Edited by Carmichael

what an amazing day to ride a bike it was. Didn't manage my goal of 3:15, but improved my PB by 10 minutes and came in at 3:18 out of 2E. Left me sort of bleak and happy at the same time, bleak mostly because I am wondering: How much do the 2500 odd people who were faster than me actually train? How do you guys do it - and make those sub 3 sound like the standard respectable result?! Seriously well done you all. 

Two concerns: saw two injured guys on Chappies, both looking very serious (one just after little chappies, one just before HB). I really hope they are OK

Secondly, riding through the less fortunate areas of Noordhoek, lots of kids asked for empty bottles, to take to school. Puts everything into perspective. There are many bikes costing more than R100K, and these guys would like my empty bottle. Maybe we need to have a bottle collection at the finish next year and donate those. 

amazing day out all in all! Thanks to all of you. 

Guys where can I find the photos of the Cycle Tour? 

If you go to racetec and find your result you can click next to the event on the thing I circled and it takes you to the site where all the pictures linked to you are posted.

post-11806-0-45941100-1457351664_thumb.jpg

Interesting day out today. Bummed to say the least. Started in 2B and was like an F1 start which split up Edinburgh only to regroup there after. Stayed as a huge group coming up to Simonstown where some 2C riders caught us and we cought some of 2A. Fast and furious with a group too large for the narrowing road. Handles clashed some got hooked and 4 of us went down at speed. Race over, frame broken in 2 places, RD bent and spent the rest of the day in hospital confirming broken collar bone ... hoping for a quick recovery!

Good luck dude... It was interesting indeed! But we caught some 2A (and the odd 1's) looong before the 2C's joined up? Was in the group and just a bit behind at the time of the (which turned out to be your) crash. Had to slam on the brakes and that's where I suspect my misfortune came from. Though not nearly as bad a yours.

I suddenly could not stick to ANYBODY, had to stand and hammer and still not able to keep up. Krept up smallish climbs. Blamed it on the wind, coming in less prepared than I should have and running too much. At stages wondered whether my rear wasn't punctured, but all glances back showed an okay wheel. Eventually getting to Chappies, I though at least from here on I can hang on - it's climbs, groups help but not that critical. Everybody just zoomed past me! Coming down, I could not even catch up with MTB's! Really thought it was weird but blamed it on the legs ruining confidence. Shattered at Houtbaai and went to the physios for a quick legs rub. Had to stand so much that the quads were not enthusiastic any more. 

Coming back from there, I found the error. Putting the bike down to push it over the last meter or so of grass, I hear a funny sound. Looked back to see my rear wheel dragging over the grass!  :eek:  Brakes have affectionately hugged the rear wheel! Could not get it loosened on my own, then thought WTH, got till here this way, I thiiiink there's a guy working on bikes somewhere up Suikerbossie. Got to him, with a bit of a struggle he could loosen it. Cruised home, knowing there's no use in risking anything from here on in. Even stopped at the bottom of Suikerbossie for a leasurely Coke, why not?! 

I think last time my legs were so stuffed after and Argus was in 2009!

Hope you heal up well!

Good luck dude... It was interesting indeed! But we caught some 2A (and the odd 1's) looong before the 2C's joined up? Was in the group and just a bit behind at the time of the (which turned out to be your) crash. Had to slam on the brakes and that's where I suspect my misfortune came from. Though not nearly as bad a yours.

I suddenly could not stick to ANYBODY, had to stand and hammer and still not able to keep up. Krept up smallish climbs. Blamed it on the wind, coming in less prepared than I should have and running too much. At stages wondered whether my rear wasn't punctured, but all glances back showed an okay wheel. Eventually getting to Chappies, I though at least from here on I can hang on - it's climbs, groups help but not that critical. Everybody just zoomed past me! Coming down, I could not even catch up with MTB's! Really thought it was weird but blamed it on the legs ruining confidence. Shattered at Houtbaai and went to the physios for a quick legs rub. Had to stand so much that the quads were not enthusiastic any more. 

Coming back from there, I found the error. Putting the bike down to push it over the last meter or so of grass, I hear a funny sound. Looked back to see my rear wheel dragging over the grass!  :eek:  Brakes have affectionately hugged the rear wheel! Could not get it loosened on my own, then thought WTH, got till here this way, I thiiiink there's a guy working on bikes somewhere up Suikerbossie. Got to him, with a bit of a struggle he could loosen it. Cruised home, knowing there's no use in risking anything from here on in. Even stopped at the bottom of Suikerbossie for a leasurely Coke, why not?! 

I think last time my legs were so stuffed after and Argus was in 2009!

Hope you heal up well!

Ya we did catch 2A and 1's long before and the group was much too big for those roads especially where they narrowed and 2C joined in.  2 of us did collar bones in that crash, mine broken, his dislocated, his front wheel buckled and my frame cracked... hectic crash and glad you managed to get around ad stay upright!!

The charities thank you :D

I don't even want to add it all up  :wacko: but I guess it's for a good cause.  :blush:

For me the big one of the year is yet to come, Transkaroo, however yesterday was a boost of confidence.

This oom started in our 1C group, 3rd row from the front...with knee and elbow guards  :lol: ..fully kitted! 

Every race/injury report coming through makes this seem more sensible. Roff up front there.

Enjoy the MTB fun rides, lekker scenery 90% of the time, MTB riders can be way more friendly than roadies. I usually go Camping the night before or after, and make it a whole family thing.

Road Summer, MTB winter. The wheels never stop turning, ohh and commuting in the week.