Advice on Wines to Whales?

eddie.lubbe

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did the A2Z singletracks few weekends past which forms part of the W2W.  The first few singletracks are rocky and somewhat technical.  I had an OTB on the B track (think it was) and almost broke my collarbone.

the portage is supposed to be out and replaced by single track climb this year.

I had read (I think on W2W Facebook) that only the downhill part of the portage had been replaced with a single track. 

There is no ways you could ever make a single track on the uphill part and I don't think we would ever ride next to the train tracks. The tracks are in use sporadically.

Do not underestimate the portage. It uses muscles you are not used to using. I think it can be called a "technical portage" - not that easy especially if using racing snake carbon soles. A wet W2W is harder than Sani.

I missed the entry day- VERY JEALOUS (done 3). 

Dont worry my legs are VERY used to "portage". Every big hill I find (especially at the end of a race) I make an effort to train this skill!!!!!

I got offered an entry by a buddy to do the adventure.  I am super excited but scared out of my bracket as I am a non-technical rider.  Been training for Shova and 94.7 so been 6 months since I touched an MTB.  Probably only done 10 MTB rides and terrible on downhill switchbacks, steep downhills and rock gardens.  Not sure if I should pass up on this entry or give it a go.  I would say I have the fitness but don't want to walk half the course and take 6+ hours to finish each stage.  Will one survive the ride on a hard tail?

I got offered an entry by a buddy to do the adventure.  I am super excited but scared out of my bracket as I am a non-technical rider.  Been training for Shova and 94.7 so been 6 months since I touched an MTB.  Probably only done 10 MTB rides and terrible on downhill switchbacks, steep downhills and rock gardens.  Not sure if I should pass up on this entry or give it a go.  I would say I have the fitness but don't want to walk half the course and take 6+ hours to finish each stage.  Will one survive the ride on a hard tail?

Hardtail is fine but dually will make life a bit easier on some of the more technical moments. Day 1 can become 6h for some.

Sounds like if you do decide to do the race, you should drop back if you get a good seeding. Those trails are full of switchbacks etc.

Hardtail works perfectly..

Hardtail also easier to carry on the parts of the portage that have really big steps to climb up.

B seeding for the race. How many more or less in each batch? Just trying to figure if I should open a can of bitching to move up or not.

Did the race last year and the portage section on Stage 1 killed me with temp reaching close to 45, day 2 is fun and keep some fuel for the long climbs on the last day. Great event, back this year again for the race.

Looks like rain for the Adventure so a new Captain Control 2.3 for the rear and Purgatoy for the front!

Looks freaking windy the Sunday for you guys

Did the race last year and the portage section on Stage 1 killed me with temp reaching close to 45, day 2 is fun and keep some fuel for the long climbs on the last day. Great event, back this year again for the race.

Think the long climb on the last day has been removed...

Archived