RIP cradle MTB route

Furbz

Question for Dflip:

If the 1 st 5km is for newbies, how are they going to get back to the start ?

Think is probably more of an easy start so that they build a little confidence in the 1st 5kms and that I guses gets you to the lion park circle where they can ride back on the road or with perhaps a bit more confidence continue on the trail

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think is probably more of an easy start so that they build a little confidence in the 1st 5kms and that I guses gets you to the lion park circle where they can ride back on the road or with perhaps a bit more confidence continue on the trail

Thanks ! But as long as they don't come back on the same track. It is just not wide enough. I have had near misses with riders going the wrong way. I also suggest better signage.

Thanks ! But as long as they don't come back on the same track. It is just not wide enough. I have had near misses with riders going the wrong way. I also suggest better signage.

Firstly it is a free trail for anyone to use

Secondly Hero have asked for people to give them time so I expect signs will be put up but until then be polite and point out that it is one direction to those going the other way... and it is not just in the first 5kms as have seen riders in the last 5kms going the wrong way (in an anti-clockwise direction)

Thirdly there are many seasoned MTbikers who do not know which direction they should be going not just noobs... just do a forum search and you will find many asking which way is the route here is one for starters https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/141617-cradle-mtb-route/?hl=cradle+mtb

The more the trail becomes known the more education will be required of people new to the trail in what direction it should be ridden

Just keep the following in mind. When the trail was completed, it was IMBA graded and signposted with very nice cement signposts. Some of these signposts should still be there. Over time the rest have been nationalised and used as building material, to block roads with during a protest and, given current crime trends in SA, to bludgeon someone to death with. 

Despite Hero's best intentions with new signage being planned, the same will happen. 

Just keep the following in mind. When the trail was completed, it was IMBA graded and signposted with very nice cement signposts. Some of these signposts should still be there. Over time the rest have been nationalised and used as building material, to block roads with during a protest and, given current crime trends in SA, to bludgeon someone to death with. 

Despite Hero's best intentions with new signage being planned, the same will happen. 

Bloody hell, Thor. Now you've made me depressed.

Not quite the ray of sunshine you normally are this morning  :(

The offer stands, I can even get the missus to randomly throw mud at us to add authenticity.

I think your Missus and the IDT might get a little miffed about that, so to save you some embarrassment here's a counter offer: the best Burgers & Craft Beer in Cape Town. It's a little hole in the wall at the Waterfront and shares the area with some other highly remarkable food stalls. For whenever you &your missus and me happen to be in Cape Town.

wow, this thread caught fire...

happy to learn that it is a work in progress! (as per my first post, i rescind my initial comments!)

i learn't the ways of the MTB along the spruit.

i don't understand quite why these trails have to be 1-1.2m wide. just seems excessive. but if that is what is deemed necessary for beginners then so be it.

my gut tells me it is going to be difficult to maintain a track that wide and that in a few years it will mostly return to a single track.

i also foresee the wide track becoming rutted to hell from rain water washing away soil. (only have to go to avianto to see what rain water did to their wide routes.)

Better signs is a good idea. the current ones are tiny and not entirely clear.

i think it would be prudent to put up signs actually stating "ONE WAY ROUTE"

At this point the trail starts at the kloofsight circle and goes in a clockwise direction for 18km .to get back one would have to use the road . We hope to start the remainder of the trail early in 2016 .there is only 1direction and we are working on getting signage to specify this asap on route

Really? are we spending time complaining about a free mtb trail?

You have ridden it, if you don't like it, don't come back (and good riddance)

Most riders take the trails for what it is, and use it accordingly.

It's like going to northern farms and complaining about the amount of dirt roads...

I welcome a wider trail, in summer, being belted with shrubs and grass due to the lack of maintenance is not ideal, and Dflip is following the guidelines, and not "interpreting" them, witch these days should be applauded.

Anyway, Keep the rubber side down, weather it be on tar, on easy dirt, or rocky hub and rim destroying superhero tech bits.

It's like going to northern farms and complaining about the amount of dirt roads...

I welcome a wider trail, in summer, being belted with shrubs and grass due to the lack of maintenance is not ideal, and Dflip is following the guidelines, and not "interpreting" them, witch these days should be applauded.

Anyway, Keep the rubber side down, weather it be on tar, on easy dirt, or rocky hub and rim destroying superhero tech bits.

Well said...

hang on, you get upset about a little bit of grass touching you?  :D - please take the bait...

and what superhero tech bits? it was a easy trail to begin with.

it got dumbed down to basically a dirt road.

lastly: "which"  :o - (more bait)

nothing against's dflip at all! he has a contract and he is sticking to it.

good for him

+1

hang on, you get upset about a little bit of grass touching you?  :D - please take the bait...

good for him

That's the intention.....go faster!

good for him

You seem to forget the trail is free and for everyone to use, it is not your personal playground for your own use.

You should be thankful that someone has taken the time and effort to build a trail for all to use.. which is FREE!!

If it is not technically challenging after all the skillz you have learnt on the Spruit... which is also a dirt road.. then try other places to push your skillz... but unfortunately you will have to likely pay for that pleasure!!

I second RocknRolla's comments, you have ridden it, it is not to your liking and superior skillz... so move on to pastures green and let others enjoy it for what it is.

Your continual moaning will not change anything, Hero have been given guidelines and a mandate to make the trail what it is and that is what it will become.

If you want it to be something else then you will have to take over from the Government, so that you become the Client and then can dictate...  that will cost you money!!.. but as you seem to enjoy the free trails of the spruit and not so much the cradle... i don't see that happening!!

Archived