• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see Contador took another rider out when he slipped, no mention of how he is doing, hope he is ok.

Impressive kerb jumping by some to avoid them.

Bookwalter... he is also full of grazes.. but okay last I heard..

Time for TDF.. to start thinking about alternative barriers

https://twitter.com/TheRaceRadio/status/749320492641710081

Jeez, how on earth did ASO not use footless barriers for the final 3 km?

It's not like this is a brand new idea - they've been used very successfully in previous races. 

That crash is on them. That's complete negligence in my view.

Going back to that barny in Paris-Nice earlier this year between Bouhanni and Matthews: the general consensus was that a major high-speed crash was avoided because the organisers had used footless barriers. Look where Matthews wheels are in this pic. He would have been chewing on tar at 70 km/h otherwise.

And who are the organisers of Paris-Nice? Yip, ASO. So they have absolutely no excuse.

post-22004-0-03233600-1467488875_thumb.jpg

Jeez, how on earth did ASO not use footless barriers for the final 3 km?

It's not like this is a brand new idea - they've been used very successfully in previous races. 

That crash is on them. That's complete negligence in my view.

Going back to that barny in Paris-Nice earlier this year between Bouhanni and Matthews: the general consensus was that a major high-speed crash was avoided because the organisers had used footless barriers. Look where Matthews wheels are in this pic. He would have been chewing on tar at 70 km/h otherwise.

And who are the organisers of Paris-Nice? Yip, ASO. So they have absolutely no excuse.

We use a very similar barrier in SA - the feet are behind (under) the advertising boards and held in place with concrete blocks. The fencing used at the start and finish are two different types (for a reason). 

At the finish - the legless type that slant away from the race route.

http://cyclenation.co.za/images/phocagallery/2016/carnivalcity/IMG_3483.JPG

At the start (straight up, with legs that stand out at 90-degress)

http://cyclenation.co.za/images/phocagallery/2016/carnivalcity/IMG_3152.JPG

Ok ok, before we get too cocky about Cav, let's hold thumbs that he can do it again....

What's really cool is it takes a lot of pressure off the team. Day one done and mission accomplished pretty much. Anything more is a bonus.

Ok ok, before we get too cocky about Cav, let's hold thumbs that he can do it again....

Not today unfortunately. For the most part it does look flat, but the finale rules out the pure sprinters.

This one is for the real punchy Classics guys who love sprinting up climbs.

So if EVBH is feeling up to it after yesterday's crash he might be in line to take yellow from his teammate at the end of the day....

Other names looking to win this one:

• Valverde
  • Alaphilippe
  • GVA
  • Sagan
  • Matthews
  • Gerrans
  • Coquard?

Here's what the finish looks like: 1.9 km climb @ 6.5%, then a very short 500m downhill followed by the final 600m uphill ramp to the line.

post-22004-0-41843800-1467524514_thumb.jpg

Moment of the day alongside Cav' in maillot jaune

http://images.cyclingtips.com/content/uploads/2016/07/Contador1.jpg

Stage 2, 2016 Tour de France
Date: Sunday, July 3
Start: Saint-Lô
Finish: Cherbourg-en-Cotentin
Distance: 183km (113.7mi)
Elevation Gain:1460m (4790ft)

Weather forecast: Grey sky, rainy from the morning until the start in St-Lô. Progressive improvement through the day, but with a sky still hazy (many low clouds) and a west-wind 20-30km/h gusting to 40km/h for the first half of the stage. A pale sun will be present for the end of the stage with a weakening wind. The temperatures will stay fresh, between 15 and 16 degrees.

Archived