Cape Epic 2016 Group

Acerunner

I don't know. I hope not. Got my tests back and it's the same bacteria that causes food poisoning. I was on a drip in a medi-tent for 3 hours. Spent 8 hours vomiting in the porta-loos

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got food poisoning and couldn't start Stage 5. Bleak. Up to that point my 32T front and 10-42 rear was perfect. Already secured entry for next year as revenge. Have to finish what I started.

You are not the 1st\2nd\3rd person that I know of that got food poisoning!! WTF! What are they feeding people at the Epic? Monkey B@lls?

PS. Good luck with next years race.  :thumbup:

So did anyone finish it on a 1x11?

Yep 1 x 11 with a 32T ring and 10-42 Cassette.

Fist epic.

I made a stupid mistake of not thoroughly checking my bike over after the pre race service. I noticed my saddle was 20mm too low after I had seriously aggravated some ligaments in the back of my knee and rode the last five days heavily strapped up and in bit of discomfort. I got a stomach bug after day 4 and had two very hard days before a relatively strong finish. I loved the event. I would definitely do another one.

Why did so many people got sick? was it the food?

Really don't think so, I ate all the food and so did most of the others, I barely touched the toilet handles and always used wetwipes after I finished in there. I never got sick, Im sure if it was the food more than half would have been out.

I continued to take my Airmune in the mornings and Staminogro in the evenings (been doing this since my training started in September and did not fall sick once)

I know a lot fell out because of dehydration, but I learned drink even if your not thirsty, make sure your bottles is finished or almost finished by the time you get to the next waterpoint, eat today for tomorrow, use wetwipes and dont drink water from the taps (I only used the bottled water that was freely available to drink and refil my bottles.

I also used wet wipes and every other item you listed. The tests confirmed food poisoning> I'm staying in safe catering accommo next year.

3 Epics Down and yet to step foot into the dining tent.... :clap:

Some nice restaurants in Franschhoek.

I ended up vomiting my guts out on the final night. Luckily I got some good advice from V12man, and managed to get on the bike for Stage 7. I suffered, but made it to the end.

I ended up vomiting my guts out on the final night. Luckily I got some good advice from V12man, and managed to get on the bike for Stage 7. I suffered, but made it to the end.

Please share. Some of us might need it someday. Seems the past time at the Epic is calling George.

Funny so many people mention food poisoning with a gastric influenza. I remember BCBR race briefing where the race doc simply said: "If you eat pooh, you get diarrhea!" At that particular event we had flushing toilets with people sanitizing them permanently and clean running water and soap to wash our hands after doing our bizniz. Before meal times everyone washed up as well. Food were dished up for you by the catering people, so no one had an opportunity to contaminate anything that was served.

Not one reported case of gastro during that whole race...

On a side note - anybody want to swap a small jacket for a medium?

I have  a medium despite asking for a small - but I really need a small.

I need a medium - but only have a large...

Hi

I have M would like a Large

Please share. Some of us might need it someday. Seems the past time at the Epic is calling George.

Hi

I have M would like a Large

Best you talk to waveduke.... :)

Come one - who has a small and wants a medium....

Same here, also looking to exchange a medium shirt and jacket for a small (unused - in Cape Town.)

Best you talk to waveduke.... :)

Come one - who has a small and wants a medium....

It was pretty specific to Dom - but for what it's worth I told him to:

1 - stop taking anti nausea drugs

2 - drink plenty of water

3 - not drink anything on the day except water and real foods

4 - call me in the morning with how the night went.... and then I would decide to block him up for the day or not - in the end not, and he made it just fine.

The only key advice I give people is:

1 - as far as possible eat real food - and food you are used to eating

2 - no experimentation with supplements (pre-test everything)

3 - avoid over/under eating

4 - maintain impreccable personal hygiene (wash hands, gloves, dont touch face/mouth etc)

5 - only drink bottled water, brush teeth with bottled water, don't drink the water in the shower, wash your bottles properly with potable water (off the truck for this purpose)

6 - don't take vitamins/pills before the days ride - immediately after only

7 - Don't eat fresh fruit off the trees - they often have pesticdes on them or are not yet ripe

8 - Take lots of pro biotics before and during the race (2 - 4 a day)

9 - drink lots of beer

10 - use a camelback if it's hot - put water in it - keep the carbs in your bottle (otherwise you have no idea how much carbs you have been taking, and too little is as bad as too much)

It was pretty specific to Dom - but for what it's worth I told him to:

1 - stop taking anti nausea drugs

2 - drink plenty of water

3 - not drink anything on the day except water and real foods

4 - call me in the morning with how the night went.... and then I would decide to block him up for the day or not - in the end not, and he made it just fine.

The only key advice I give people is:

1 - as far as possible eat real food - and food you are used to eating

2 - no experimentation with supplements (pre-test everything)

3 - avoid over/under eating

4 - maintain impreccable personal hygiene (wash hands, gloves, dont touch face/mouth etc)

5 - only drink bottled water, brush teeth with bottled water, don't drink the water in the shower, wash your bottles properly with potable water (off the truck for this purpose)

6 - don't take vitamins/pills before the days ride - immediately after only

7 - Don't eat fresh fruit off the trees - they often have pesticdes on them or are not yet ripe

8 - Take lots of pro biotics before and during the race (2 - 4 a day)

9 - drink lots of beer

10 - use a camelback if it's hot - put water in it - keep the carbs in your bottle (otherwise you have no idea how much carbs you have been taking, and too little is as bad as too much)

so you are a real doctor after all....

How many chains did everyone go through? I put on a BRAND new chain, cassette and chainring the week before the Epic.

The mechanics looking after my bike, without my consent, said the had to replace the chain end of stage 6, that's probably less that 700k's on a chain.... :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

My previous drive chain lasted 10 months and thousands of km's, I am running 1 x 11.

Conditions weren't bad at all.

Archived