We topped up your sealant, it was running low.

nox1111

You really trying hard to win.

If plugged it would not need alignment.

If replaced the tyres would need to be replaced in pairs so balancing would have been done at fitment and alignment checked and possibly tyre rotation would also have been conducted. Then I would decline the alignment.

However when serving the agents typically have better alignment settings than some tyre fitment outlets. Your scenario is highly dependant on the nature of the tyre emergency.

Point on push bike tyre sealant stands. Not an issue with bikehub regular moaners making a gamka berg out of a flat road

The OP's situation is very similar. He replaced his tyres and filled it with sealant just before a service. If my example was that you replaced all 4 a week before getting your car serviced or whether you merely plugged a tyre and had all 4 aligned, it boils down to the same thing. Ask before you do something.

I usually also align my tyres with a service, but they need to ask me as it is not covered in my motor plan.

PS: This must be the first time on this forum that you admitted to getting it wrong, lets hope the rain stays away this weekend ;)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However when serving the agents typically have better alignment settings than some tyre fitment outlets. 

Just an aside, your dealer generally takes your car to a fitment centre down the road for alignment... The same one you would take your car to just R250 more expensive... 

The OP's situation is very similar. He replaced his tyres and filled it with sealant just before a service. If my example was that you replaced all 4 a week before getting your car serviced or whether you merely plugged a tyre and had all 4 aligned, it boils down to the same thing. Ask before you do something.

I usually also align my tyres with a service, but they need to ask me as it is not covered in my motor plan.

PS: This must be the first time on this forum that you admitted to getting it wrong, lets hope the rain stays away this weekend ;)

Bicycle doesn't have a motor plan. Service expectation is different.

Ps: you seem to the only one fixated on being right. I expressed that I consider a sealant top up without being asked as a service offering and would thank the shop. Really I couldn't be bothered by a sealant top because it's need isn't always apparent till you get a puncture.

Brake fluid replacement I can feel

Gear cable replacement I can feel

Tyre replacement I can see

Pivot replacement I feel and hear.

Those I will specify. Sealant is invisible.

If this is a trust issue then why are you going back to the shop.

Even after fitting new tyres a sealant top up could be required since most of the sealant used to seal the new tyre isn't available to plug punctures anylonger...

But I'm sure I'm wrong on this because G is always right

Certain items are included in servicing cost, other items are charged for extra. If you are going to charge for something, ask. If alignment was included and they did it again a week after it was done, its ok.

Ps: you seem to the only one fixated on being right. I expressed that I consider a sealant top up without being asked as a service offering and would thank the shop. Really I couldn't be bothered by a sealant top because it's need isn't always apparent till you get a puncture.

Brake fluid replacement I can feel

Gear cable replacement I can feel

Tyre replacement I can see

Pivot replacement I feel and hear.

Those I will specify. Sealant is invisible.

If this is a trust issue then why are you going back to the shop.

Even after fitting new tyres a sealant top up could be required since most of the sealant used to seal the new tyre isn't available to plug punctures anylonger...

But I'm sure I'm wrong on this because G is always right

post-5386-1445509843,0269.jpg

seems here is a bit of a battle going on here. who will wrap up and give the OP a closing remark????? pls man!

Raptor22, I don't know you, or your situation; I don't know whom your LBS is or what bike you ride, or what level of care your shop gives your steed.

By the sound of things, you've always had great service, spot on communication, and your invoices are what you thought they would be.  Your LBS details would be great - and I think they've gained customers based on your experience with them.

But maybe, just maybe you don't really understand my concern here.

What you'll notice is, I'm not bashing my LBS (I didn't even mention their name), neither the one of my riding partner, I'm not ranting or 'bitching' as you referred to it, nor am I a "bikehub regular moaner".

I shop around when my polo needs new tyres, and make sure that alignment and balancing is included in the price.

I'm questioning two separate but very similar events here - where a service was provided and billed for that was neither expected, requested, advised or informed about - that was not needed in the first place.  This leads me to believe, that if the chances are that this happened to a myself and a friend of mine, at two different shops in a very short span of time; that other people may have the same issue or at least have to watch out for the same situation.

Raptor22, I don't know you, or your situation; I don't know whom your LBS is or what bike you ride, or what level of care your shop gives your steed.

By the sound of things, you've always had great service, spot on communication, and your invoices are what you thought they would be.  Your LBS details would be great - and I think they've gained customers based on your experience with them.

But maybe, just maybe you don't really understand my concern here.

What you'll notice is, I'm not bashing my LBS (I didn't even mention their name), neither the one of my riding partner, I'm not ranting or 'bitching' as you referred to it, nor am I a "bikehub regular moaner".

I shop around when my polo needs new tyres, and make sure that alignment and balancing is included in the price.

I'm questioning two separate but very similar events here - where a service was provided and billed for that was neither expected, requested, advised or informed about - that was not needed in the first place.  This leads me to believe, that if the chances are that this happened to a myself and a friend of mine, at two different shops in a very short span of time; that other people may have the same issue or at least have to watch out for the same situation.

I understand your concern. I trust my LBS implicitly (Williams Bike Shop). They understand my needs and the attention to detail I demand.

They deliver and I don't haggle over R140 added value (if they did something similar).

different people perceive added value differently.

So I'm asking you how good is your relationship with your shop? Did you ask why they topped up?

Like I said I trust mine to not pull a fast one on me and they know I'm capable of doing almost everything on my bike myself if I have the time but generally I don't.

If you trust your LBS then why do you need to gauge opinion from people who have not clue about your relationship with your LBS. You're going to get rigid ansewers that's expected to apply to everything you do. Just don't buy any toothpaste with 30% more volume at an increased prices without Colgate asking if you want it.

On Choice: You had the option of not paying for the sealant if you didn't want it.

Like I said, its highly likely they topped it up because they felt it was needed not because they wanted to rip an extra R140 out of you only to get a bad name on the BikeHub vulture club

Out on a ride, puncture, oh sheeeet I never topped up the sealant. What! Amazingly the LBS topped it up when it was in for a service. Ride on.

R140 very very well spent IMHO

Out on a ride, puncture, oh sheeeet I never topped up the sealant. What! Amazingly the LBS topped it up when it was in for a service. Ride on.

R140 very very well spent IMHO

Unless they topped it up with a different brand and there is just a ball of gunk and you sitting on the side of the trail fuming that you paid R140 for it.

i understand raptor's perspective, but it's just an opinion on the matter, not the universal fact of it. It's really simple: unless there's been prior agreement of some sort, don't do something a customer doesn't expect, ESPECIALLY if they have to pay for it. Doesn't matter if its 2c or R2million.

How's that old adage: something about the road to hell and good intentions? Ask: anything else is assumption.

Think of this scenario.

Johnny calls the bike shop and asks for the price of the service. He then goes and collects all his cents together and makes sure he can afford said service. On dropping off the bike he asks for a confirmation of the price.

Thinking he is ok Johnny goes the next day to pay and collect his bike and when they present him with the bill he sees that he is R140 short due to a sealant top up that he was not told he would have to pay for. Now someone feels embarrassed - most likely Johnny as he now feels dof for not being able to afford the service.

In this case who is in the wrong?

Yes for most of us it is neither here nor there but an unexpected extra R140 for some people is a big deal.

Simple rule of business. Don't quote a customer one price and then present him with a higher bill.

To those who say it is ok, at what point does it become not ok? How much is too much to add to the bill without getting the go ahead from the customer?

My 5c. The call would help "Hey buddy we checked your tyres the low on sealant want us to top it up?"

Now I am real boring and only use Stans. I might be lazy and say "you going to top up with stans sure, or no, thanks i will sort it out at home"

i dont want to mix sealants. I know whats in my tyre and that's all i want in my tyre. 

Unless they topped it up with a different brand and there is just a ball of gunk and you sitting on the side of the trail fuming that you paid R140 for it.

The ball of gunk in the mentioned scenario was likely a result of the inflator applied to the tyre.

latex sealants have ammonia to maintain the liquidity of the sealant. They are largely compatible.

That Green stuff and Yellow stuff doesn't mix well with the other stuff. but they don't have violent reactions that creates solid balls instantly.

Like I said, if not happy with an element of service, ask bike shop to undo the work. Simple.

to me tis is more of a discussion of the trust you place in your LBS to look after your interests proactively than a ripping off issue.

"Here we go sir, we have carried out the service on your car - oh yes, by the way your drivers seat was worn so we had it reupholstered, that will cost you an extra 5 grand. Thanks.

Also your petrol was low so we filled up for you, that will be an extra R1000."

No man, it's just not right.

Cool topic.....help me out please :blush:

I have never tried to do my own sealant so I ask the LBS to check. Maybe I must do it myself? Questions:

• How often? I do +/- 450km per month trail and gravel
  • How much?
  • Is it easy?

Thanks

Archived