We topped up your sealant, it was running low.

nox1111

Cool topic.....help me out please :blush:

I have never tried to do my own sealant so I ask the LBS to check. Maybe I must do it myself? Questions:

• How often? I do +/- 450km per month trail and gravel
  • How much?
  • Is it easy?

Thanks

very easy.

remove your wheel and shake it. if you can't hear liquid sloshing around inside, its likely the sealant is kaput. It's not absolutely necessary to remove the wheel from the bike; just easier to shake a wheel than a bike ;)

Another indicator that your sealant might be kaput, is when you see wet stains on your tyre, and the pressure is slowly being lost. It means the sealant has been exhausted, and what's seeping out is just some solvent/water that remains.

I use about 30ml of sealant per wheel, which I inject (using a large bore syringe without the needle. The syringe has volumentric graduations on the side as well) via the valve with its core removed. The syringe looks exactly like this (minus the logo). The tip fits perfectly into the valve.

http://www.drinkstuff.com/productimg/105901_large.jpg

Neat, simple, fuss free.

Just be sure to shake the bottle of sealant properly before use.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never tried to do my own sealant so I ask the LBS to check. Maybe I must do it myself? Questions:

• How much?
  • Is it easy?

Thanks

It's very easy Andre,

I bought a large syringe from the pharmacy and a piece of clear PVC hose that is a snug fit over both the end of the syringe and the valve stem.

Take out your valve core and take out the syringe plunger.  Plug the pipe over the valve stem and onto the syringe tip and hold upright. Hold the valve at 16:00 or 8:00. Fill with sealant to the recommended volume and use the plunger to squirt it (slowly) into your tyre. replace your valve core and inflate.

Boom, done.

very easy.

remove your wheel and shake it. if you can't hear liquid sloshing around inside, its likely the sealant is kaput. It's not absolutely necessary to remove the wheel from the bike; just easier to shake a wheel than a bike ;)

Another indicator that your sealant might be kaput, is when you see wet stains on your tyre, and the pressure is slowly being lost. It means the sealant has been exhausted, and what's seeping out is just some solvent/water that remains.

I use about 30ml of sealant per wheel, which I inject (using a large bore syringe without the needle. The syringe has volumentric graduations on the side as well) via the valve with its core removed.

Neat, simple, fuss free.

Just be sure to shake the bottle of sealant properly before use.

Brilliant thanks, very valuable feedback, especially the wet stains on the tyre, I never knew that. Will definitely do my own thing from now on.....last question, which sealant is best?

Brilliant thanks, very valuable feedback, especially the wet stains on the tyre, I never knew that. Will definitely do my own thing from now on.....last question, which sealant is best?

haha - that'll start a debate...

Use whatever is already in your tyres, try not to mix them.

i swear by Stan's. Hasn't failed me yet.

Looks quite reasonable to me:

Work: - Remove wheel, remove tyre, check sealant level and check for lumps, re-fit tyre, add sealant, inflate tyre (1+5+2+5+3+2=17 say 20 min total)

Labour R300/60x20=R100

Sealant (100ml)=0.45/ml=R45

• How much?
  • Is it easy?

Thanks

How Often:

In summer, once a month to 6 weeks.

In Winter every 3 months

How much:

For sealing, 120-150ml

Top up 60-80ml

Is it easy?

It depends on your ability. Its not an unlearnable skill for anyone with opposable thumbs but it can be intimidating and messy. Not everyone likes messy

Sounds like a bike shop I know in Cape Town. Took bike for a pre K2C service. Picked up the bike and they charged me for sealant and new valves. I topped up the sealant myself a month before the service. The tried their luck and said the cassette, chain and one chainring must also be changed and that will be another R3500.

Cables,valves and sealant was R650.

Just to show that I'm pretty meticulous about what happens to my bike...

attachicon.gifservice book blur.jpg

Nope I don't list wash 'n lubes etc

Nice, wish i was that meticulous. I never take my whole bike to shops - maybe a wheel build or truing here and there but the rest I do myself. Saves a heap of cash...

Out on a ride, puncture, oh sheeeet I never topped up the sealant. What! Amazingly the LBS topped it up when it was in for a service. Ride on.

R140 very very well spent IMHO

Missed you WUM 

How Often:

In summer, once a month to 6 weeks.

In Winter every 3 months

That's for summer rainfall area? 

Or why the difference?

"Here we go sir, we have carried out the service on your car - oh yes, by the way your drivers seat was worn so we had it reupholstered, that will cost you an extra 5 grand. Thanks.

Also your petrol was low so we filled up for you, that will be an extra R1000."

No man, it's just not right.

R140 vs R6000

Come on bro, think before you ink

R140 vs R6000

Come on bro, think before you ink

That is exactly what I was doing. The question I was posing is that for some people that extra R140 is more out of reach than the R6000 for other people. It is a question of the principal and not the amount.

sealant is water soluable and contains ammonia. Guess what, they evaporate. Top up is needed every 6 weeks with regular use in Summer and maybe 3months in Winter.

Don't think they shafting you, just trying to offer a convenience service

why dont they just call first...its not that hard.

Archived