We topped up your sealant, it was running low.

nox1111

I just take a tub of vaseline with when i go shopping...

59 ml top bottle at solomons R 39.90

125 ml top up bottle at leighs cycle centre R 99.95

To buy the bottle and do it yourself...not done while getting a service.

The exchange rate has a lot to do price increases...but never seems to affect prices when it drops.

post-70852-1445783246,8698.jpgpost-70852-1445783256,5356.jpgpost-70852-1445783265,1591.jpg

post-70852-1445783228,2663.jpg

post-70852-1445783279,4737.jpg

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something I learnt from JB, to check sealant levels, take valve core out and put a spoke down, the sealant should come to the top of the threads.

edit, I dont have this hassle with my lbs, because all the bike shops in East London have let me down so many times that I now do ALL the work on my bike.

Been there and done that too many times, also learned to do pretty much everything myself.

My answer to these types of "issues" remains constant and boring

FIND A LBS THAT YOU TRUST AND THEY UNDERSTAND HOW U WANT THINGS DONE

That part of how YOU want things done is the part of being a loyal customer and being crystal clear what and how you want things done, remember everyone wants things done differently and have different expectations,

My LBS guys I used knew it must be right, if I fetched my bike everything was 100%, I always sent an issue/snag list TYPED out as I write like a 3 year old(again crystal clear)

Again I say it blows my mind how as a cyclist so many riders can't find decent trustworthy bike shops

My answer to these types of "issues" remains constant and boring

FIND A LBS THAT YOU TRUST AND THEY UNDERSTAND HOW U WANT THINGS DONE

That part of how YOU want things done is the part of being a loyal customer and being crystal clear what and how you want things done, remember everyone wants things done differently and have different expectations,

My LBS guys I used knew it must be right, if I fetched my bike everything was 100%, I always sent an issue/snag list TYPED out as I write like a 3 year old(again crystal clear)

Again I say it blows my mind how as a cyclist so many riders can't find decent trustworthy bike shops

That's because Bike shops struggle to find decent trustworthy customers.

Most walk through the door with air of entitlement, expecting the red carpet, champagne and dancing girls while having their bikes rebuilt for free

Guest notmyname

I have given up on lbs', Even the "good" ones. Over time I have purchased all the required tools and repair stand, Free services forever. Only thing I don't do is service my fork(Spoke works do that for me) and true wheels(a buddy does this very well) As for spares etc... purely price related.

Thats because Bike shops struggle to find decent trustworthy customers.

Most wlak through the door with air of entitlement, expecting the red carpet, champagne and dancing girls while having their bikes rebuilt for free

I suspect that there is quite some truth in that my friend!

My experience as bike shop owner and as the guy who books bikes in and does most of the calls to customers.

10% of bike owners have no idea if they have tubes or tubeless.

Most people running tubeless don't care which sealant is used.

Most people don't realise that sealant evaporates and needs to be topped up.

The people in this thread are much more knowledgeable than the average cyclist.

The pedantic ones give strict instructions and sometimes bring their own sealant.

Because most don't care if their sealant is topped up without instruction, it can be easy to fall into the trap of doing it for everyone.

You need to have a good understanding with the customer on what to go ahead with because customers don't answer their cels at work as often as you might think. When a bike is on the stand and it's wheels are off it will hold up a busy workshop if we have to wait for go ahead on small things. It all boils down to building a good relationship with clients.

This might be one example where a cycling forum is not the best place to gauge opinion.

We enjoy working on our bikes etc (I have a minimum of 2 litre Stans in stock at home) but there are thousands of riders who don't get caught up in the technical things and just want to ride their bike. It's not wrong it's just different priorities with their limited time.

Many of those riders would be upset if they just took the bike in for a service and the next day they flat only to be told there is no sealant left in the tyres. A bit like getting your car back from a service and the window washer is empty. A R150 topup is a bargain for these riders compared to entering and travelling to an event to push your bike.

. A R150 topup is a bargain for these riders compared to entering and travelling to an event to push your bike.

We charge R50 per wheel including labour which sometimes involves removing half a kilo of silicon. Sometimes it's stuck like a sticky skin on the inside of a tyre and can takes more than an hour to remove.

We charge R50 per wheel including labour which sometimes involves removing half a kilo of silicon. Sometimes it's stuck like a sticky skin on the inside of a tyre and can takes more than an hour to remove.

Pressure washer takes it off in a couple of minutes at most - trick is just keeping the tire wide and open (I invert the tire so the inside is on the outside, and hang it over a bar) - and setting the spray to be flat and not round so you can "peel" the layer.

Pressure washer takes it off in a couple of minutes at most - trick is just keeping the tire wide and open (I invert the tire so the inside is on the outside, and hang it over a bar) - and setting the spray to be flat and not round so you can "peel" the layer.

Don't have a pressure washer but did try the hose pipe. Most sealants usually peel off quite easily. This one was sticky and broke into tiny flakes. Who knows what some people use as sealant...

Okay so we went from R140 for the lbs to do this, to buying a high pressure hose.

Don't have a pressure washer but did try the hose pipe. Most sealants usually peel off quite easily. This one was sticky and broke into tiny flakes. Who knows what some people use as sealant...

Silicon.... they should try a latex based sealant.... :)

But you do need a pressure washer.... just make sure you know where it is pointed at all times - and don't spray your foot by accident.... (I didn't do this, but I have seen the results)

Archived