We topped up your sealant, it was running low.

nox1111

Should they then ask you if They can clean your chain, and lube it?is sealant not part of the reliability of your bike?

I've never bitched about a sealant top up because to me it's an expected part of maintaining the bike.

Is service so good now that we need to bitch about service?

But sealant is rider preference dependable...

Type and amount per tire differs per rider. 

And if it is something one have to pay for who knows if they even took the old ones out and did a proper clean and added their brand...sounds like from a "top up" they didn't.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Should they then ask you if They can clean your chain, and lube it?is sealant not part of the reliability of your bike?

I've never bitched about a sealant top up because to me it's an expected part of maintaining the bike.

Do you not do any maintenance on your bike yourself? 

Par changing pivot bearings (as I do not have a press) and servicing my shocks (the guys who work with it every day is just better equipped), I either maintain or at least know the status of my bike parts, I know when last I topped up sealant, and what my chain and casette wear is.  I make sure there's copper slip on threads and lube on my chain.

I actually keep a service book for my MTB - much like a car, where I log km's, work done, suspension settings, etc.

So when I then pay R140 for a sealant top-up, I get a bit worried that loads of people are paying for something they don't need.

Chain clean and lube is part and parcel of a basic service.Sealant isn't.

In my view sealant is. Times have changed. Tubeless with sealant is everywhere. It should be part of regular servicing.

They're shafting you if they don't ask you first...

Yep... If i didn't ask for it, I'm not paying for it.

I'd like to have a say on exactly what sealant goes in my tyres too thanks.

Agree with this. They have to ask if it's an extra on the bill. You asked for A and cannot be expected to pay for A+ if they did not ask you. That principle is well established in motor vehicles where the cost is obviously more substantial but ... I am one who don't even pay even 1 cent if the service was not asked or required. I simply refuse. It's a principle thing.

Long story short, use a LBS you have confidence in.

I generally agree with most of what you post.

Not so much here though.

Aren't you fussy on whether they just sommer klap ammonia based, ally nipple corroding/siezing *** in there, or latex based, vegan friendly stuff...?

In my view sealant is. Times have changed. Tubeless with sealant is everywhere. It should be part of regular servicing.

How do they know what brand you are using or the amount you use??

sealant is water soluable and contains ammonia. Guess what, they evaporate. Top up is needed every 6 weeks with regular use in Summer and maybe 3months in Winter.

Don't think they shafting you, just trying to offer a convenience service

Great service if it was free

A call / email / sms / whatever should be made to confirm additional works.

I do my own topping up and setting up of tjoooobbbleeess tyres, so if i send my bike in for a service and the topping up is not specified or they do not normally include it in the package, then I would not be expecting them to do the works or bill me for it.

Depending on the nature of the service (full service vs. niggle) I'd expect them to include a top up in the overall price (kind of like how they don't charge for grease or lube etc.).

Outside of that, as a courtesy they could also just confirm it with the customer when checking the bike in... give the a person the option to decline a top up.

Me personally, i don't mind so much...  :thumbup:

How would you feel if you take your car in for a service, after having the wheel alignment done 2000km ago, and they send the car of for another alignment, and charge you R500 for it and just slap a bill in front of you. PS: Motor plan does not cover these costs, its extra.

Do you not do any maintenance on your bike yourself? 

Par changing pivot bearings (as I do not have a press) and servicing my shocks (the guys who work with it every day is just better equipped), I either maintain or at least know the status of my bike parts, I know when last I topped up sealant, and what my chain and casette wear is.  I make sure there's copper slip on threads and lube on my chain.

I actually keep a service book for my MTB - much like a car, where I log km's, work done, suspension settings, etc.

So when I then pay R140 for a sealant top-up, I get a bit worried that loads of people are paying for something they don't need.

Is R140 seriously how much they charge to do a sealant top up?

First Rule of servicing a customers bike....Take your book and clearly write down exactly what he wants done and ask the questions that you normally ask like may we check sealant. Here the customer can also mention something he might suspect like pads,low brake fluid  pivots headset whatever.... simple communication from both sides would clearly make life a breeze. Anything else that might pop up during service would require a simple phone call or sms.

my 2cents

If we to argue that sealant should be so part of servicing 101, then it should be listed as part of the service. As long as they charge extra, it's not and they should get permission before adding costs.

Today its sealant, tomorrow its a tyre with a slight cut, cables they deemed frayed, handle bar tape with a scuff mark, etc.

Its simple, if the customer gives permission, everyone's happy and they retain a customer. If not, he/she/it feel shafted and they lose a customer. Good business principle.