The I-Team

tombeej

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is up to each and every rider on the day to know what they are capable of and to honestly communicate it.

Yesterday I knew before hand I would not make sub-3 or anything close (obvious reasons). I was just there to meet the people actually and to see how long I can actually hold on (by not making anyone wait/come back)...I guess I started with the 'wrong group' because trying to hold onto Wes's group burnt me within the 1st 22km. It was only then when Sheriff, Patch, Scott and Fat Boab came by and I jumped in, but I told Scott quickly I wont be able to hold on to their pace at that time and pulled out clearly. Then I saw Patch waiting for Fat Boab and I jumped in there (for obvious reasons too :blush:... :P). After a few kms there with them (where I knew it was Patch's aim to get us back to Sheriff and them on the M1) I almost forgot that FB was behind me and just told Patch to go (I think that was when Patch told/asked me to make sure FB was still there)...I would have head down and just focused on the wheel till we got back to the others, but realised when you are part of a string kinda having to look back and make sure the person behind you is still there AND to keep communicating that to the pacemaker is critical. THAT for me is something VERY important that I noticed in those few kms and it is quite tough. When I bailed there I also made a clear 'I am out', not a 'wait for me' or 'slow down'.

I think overall this can work, especially because this was our 1st try and I think we learnt a great deal from it. I do think some of the people need to know one another, at least how they look before the time or even better have ridden together.

I will be keen to try and keep this going and maybe some of us can meet up once a month for a "I team" training ride :)

Yes communicating with the person in front of you is a big part of the success of these things! So don't be shy to ask for the guys to ease back or if you are last in the train but feel that it's going too easy for it to speed up.

As for a regular ride with the iTeam, I would be keen!!!

Yes communicating with the person in front of you is a big part of the success of these things! So don't be shy to ask for the guys to ease back or if you are last in the train but feel that it's going too easy for it to speed up.

As for a regular ride with the iTeam, I would be keen!!!

Well we can definitely count Hayley in for any rides you attend...haha

I was going to try keep the momentum going by starting a general I-Team thread.

But then with so much info built up already here (videos, etc), I think the best idea is just keep this one going.

So with that in mind, I'm changing the title of this thread.

Now it becomes the main place to chat about organising training rides, prepping for the next race, learning from past organisation mistakes to make the next race better, etc.

Let's roll this snowball and see how big it gets :)

I will change the first post on this thread - make it a sort of I-Team Manifesto - to list what the I-Team stands for, what it's goals are, etc.

I've got some ideas about this already, but I'd like to hear from you lot as well. 

So what do you guys expect to get out of this project? What will make it succeed, and what will cause it to fail?

post-22004-0-97328900-1447690540_thumb.jpg

Guys and Girls, can I recommend that you consider joining a cycling club if you haven't already. Many benefits, but the most important is you will improve your group riding skills. There many in the Jo'burg area.

How about we go one better, and start the I-Team club....  :whistling:

Ask Mr Anatomic (Andrew Steer) if he'll put up some design options for a shirt and that way people can each pay to get their own shirt and start off riding in plain black shorts with at least a similar shirt looking like a team. Easier to spot at races and training rides.. 

What's the next race you're gonna attempt to get this going for? Set a date so that people know what they're working towards. Build up a calender of events that this initiative has a presence at over time! Establish ride captains with the strength, endurance and skill to get riding groups working together in various areas, so that they can come together at the main events to pull this whole shindig into one uber ride fest!

Sounds perfect... :thumbup:

Good. Who else will be joining? There's nice coffee /breakfasts places in Linden (or on our way back) if anyone is keen on joining from here. Otherwise meet us on route (Stevie might have to say which route we will use)... 

Ask Mr Anatomic (Andrew Steer) if he'll put up some design options for a shirt and that way people can each pay to get their own shirt and start off riding in plain black shorts with at least a similar shirt looking like a team. Easier to spot at races and training rides.. 

What's the next race you're gonna attempt to get this going for? Set a date so that people know what they're working towards. Build up a calender of events that this initiative has a presence at over time! Establish ride captains with the strength, endurance and skill to get riding groups working together in various areas, so that they can come together at the main events to pull this whole shindig into one uber ride fest!

Unfortunately a shirt/kit won't work for everyone because some might ride for different causes or sponsors or are some sort of brand ambassador... 

Unfortunately a shirt/kit won't work for everyone because some might ride for different causes or sponsors or are some sort of brand ambassador...

Agreed, half the fun here is that we are a bunch of misfits!

Only uniform we need is a zip tie and a yellow sticker :)