Miway insurance claim goes one way

streetfighter

I'm so glad I checked the forums before signing up with MiWay. Hello Cyclesure.

It looks like I will be going with my home insurer, Santam. No 5% excess as with Cyclesure.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

watching this thread with interest, also with miway, also have a expensive carbon bike.

if thats the route they are taking, i will be looking for a new insurer.

keep us posted.,

Run Goblin, they are shocking!

They are 100% owned by Santam (since 2010) as far as I know, but continue to operate as a separate subsidiary.

So yes don't expect them to be as good as Santam.

And My bikes are insured with MiWay :/

Run Nukeproof, Run! MiWay are masters at fancy footwork!

In my books OUTsurance are as bad as MiWay come claim time (speaking about stuff unrelated to bikes). So I will never recommend them.

I have been with them for years claimed 5 times never had an issue, even with a bike that was taken out my yard with no evidence of a break-in, some wire were damaged and they paid.

I was with Outsurance some years ago.

Got a comparative quote which was much cheaper, when phoning to cancel they were willing to halve my premium to retain me. I asked them if that meant I was being shafted for the year I had paid inflated premiums and they were speechless, no answer.

I now go through a broker, Frontline insurance I believe.

Had a small crash, my right shifter punched a hole in my carbon frames top tube. Pay out for replacement took 2 days.

I was with Outsurance some years ago.

Got a comparative quote which was much cheaper, when phoning to cancel they were willing to halve my premium to retain me. I asked them if that meant I was being shafted for the year I had paid inflated premiums and they were speechless, no answer.

I now go through a broker, Frontline insurance I believe.

Had a small crash, my right shifter punched a hole in my carbon frames top tube. Pay out for replacement took 2 days.

My story is exactly the same, except I went from a broker to Outsurance..

Interesting about these topics, where people complain about service and will revert back once finalised, that you never hear the final outcome. Who was right or wrong, the insurance company or the OP or was there a third truth.

My story is exactly the same, except I went from a broker to Outsurance..

Lol, strange. For me having a broker do all the legwork for minimal cost is just so much easier, life's busy enough!!! 

I must say I was also wary of my previous insurer as I had heard stories about a department employed within their structures that's only task is looking into how not to pay out a claim. Any little loophole, customer error, etc.

Again I must stress, only stories I have heard, not accusing or slating anybody, for all I know every insurer has this type of department.

I think jumping around also does more harm to your profile which in turn might affect your premiums negatively. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable can answer that if they can.

I think jumping around also does more harm to your profile which in turn might affect your premiums negatively. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable can answer that if they can.

I was partly to blame (ignorance) and learned a few lessons, for one don't just assume your broker is doing his job even if he has a good reputation.

I don't think you need to jump around to get the best premiums, but once every year I take it upon myself to see if my premiums are competitive, that part is easy enough.

Look, MiWay is cheap. They have a dedicated MTB department and they *look* the part.

What I didn't like is them not specifying all the exclusions. They just said there weren't any exclusions.

CycleSure is the bizniz. Quotation letter with everything stated in black and white, plus options to take MTB-specific extras e.g. SweatSafe. I really wanted to go with them but that 5% excess didn't fly. //Edit: even with the % excess I went with CycleSure in the end so I *know* I won't ever have issues. Sorted.

I guess it would also be nice if the MiWay representative here @MiWayMTB dropped in and saved face for the company.

Edited by justanotherbiker

Look, MiWay is cheap. They have a dedicated MTB department and they *look* the part.

What I didn't like is them not specifying all the exclusions. They just said there weren't any exclusions.

CycleSure is the bizniz. Quotation letter with everything stated in black and white, plus options to take MTB-specific extras e.g. SweatSafe. I really wanted to go with them but that 5% excess didn't fly.

I guess it would also be nice if the MiWay representative here @MiWayMTB dropped in and saved face for the company.

Sweatsafe???

Been with Santam via broker for many years now. Quite a number of claims and Zero issues. Happy as it is.

• 4 weeks later...

I lodged a claim with miway for my broken Mavic cosmic carbone, it's been 4 days now and I'm still waiting for them to just respond to me.

Ouch Raptor, using my Broker my Momsen SL, cracked toptube from a fall, took 4 days and I was already riding my new Giant Anthem frame.

Keep on top of them though.

In Afrikaans they say "Die wiel wat raas kry aandag"