New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the time has come for me to join this thread.

I signed my employment offer this morning. If all goes well with the visa process, I'll be in Christchurch by mid Feb.

Patches, out of interest what line of work are you in?

I can't remember if I posted this before, but Air New Zealand are pretty great to fly with.

Since I'll be just over the Tasman, considering some long weekends with the bike later this year!

Patches, out of interest what line of work are you in?

Heated Beverage Administration.

Sometimes when work on that front is quiet, I sit behind a computer and dabble in industrial process plant design... but it's really more of a hobby. serving tea is where the real  money is made.

My new job though is more on the building services side of the consulting game. MEP.

Here is an interesting comparison to the service levels between NZ and RSA.

On Monday 11th Jan, i popped in to my local AA store. You know the kind, the sell roadmaps and AA memberships. They are also the "retail" arm of the department of licensing.

to apply for a NZ drivers license I filled out 1 form, had my eyes tested, signed and they took my photo. Paid a few dollars and left.

This morning (14th) i checked the postbox and found my license.

The letter was dated 12th January.

That means in 1 day they received, processed, printed and dispatched my drivers license ID card. Plus another 2 days for the post office to send it to me from the office that printed it (500km away).

3 days.....

Wonder how long that sort of thing takes in SA?

Now the reason i am telling you this is everyone talks about how expensive things are and so on...but when a country is this efficient and it has systems that work, it makes it less stressful to live here. Back in Jozi, i would get myself in a flat panic every time i had to go to home affairs or the licensing center. Everything is simpler here and that makes Wayne a very happy little camper.

So every now and then SA does get it right. I applied for my new passport on monday as i only had a year till it expired which would mean that NZ would only grant me  a 1 year Visa if approved.

So anyway i left home affairs at about 14h00 on monday and received an ams yesterday that my new id card was ready and an ams this morning that my passport was ready. Collected it this afternoon.  At least now NZ have no reason to grant me a short term Visa.

Documents for myself and my daughter will be submitted on monday!! Who hoo!!!!!

island BOY

THE HUB INSISTS ON A VIDEO OF YOU DOING THE FULL  HAKA to show us you are in fact trying to intergrate into the culture, now we all know you dont back down from a challenge, I rekon since you have been there a good couple of weeks ill give you till monday to prep and send us a video, no long stories and CONDITIONS its simple, a proper haka.  Wayne Potgieter ISLAND BOY DOING THE HAKA or we pulling your thread, membership, and banning you(you know ive got connections :whistling: )

no pressure :ph34r:

My wife is doing her IELTS exam in Feb. She needs all 8s. I'm concerned that she won't get this and wondered whether anyone that's done it recently has any resources/websites that she can practice on. At R2600 I'm not keen on having to pay for it twice. Anyone?

My wife is doing her IELTS exam in Feb. She needs all 8s. I'm concerned that she won't get this and wondered whether anyone that's done it recently has any resources/websites that she can practice on. At R2600 I'm not keen on having to pay for it twice. Anyone?

PM'ed you details.