New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Place is magic. Now go rent some long-travel bikes and go hit the Skyline!

Tip: do not try this on your short-travel Xc racing bone. I can tell you first-hand that the emergency room at ROTORUA hospital is very good at treating the ensuing carnage.

Rent that Giant Glory and a decent helmet, buy a day pass for the chairlift and let rip!

Haha, I just sold my DH bike a couple of months back.

Skyline will have to wait for a bit.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx to Wayne and all of the hubbers in NZ that posted on this thread, very informative!

I am in the process of job finding (using a recruiter in Auckland) and if all goes well, I might be lucky enough to join you guys on a ride.

Main concerns are as everyone else with regards to salary and living costs, my previous COO moved to Auckland in December and provides me with feedback (although money is of no concern to him!) so I might just have a couple of questions for you guys down the line.

Wayne, would it be OK if I PM you in the next couple of weeks/months if I have questions?

All the best for the new year, hope you guys are happier with each passing day.

Thanx to Wayne and all of the hubbers in NZ that posted on this thread, very informative!

I am in the process of job finding (using a recruiter in Auckland) and if all goes well, I might be lucky enough to join you guys on a ride.

Main concerns are as everyone else with regards to salary and living costs, my previous COO moved to Auckland in December and provides me with feedback (although money is of no concern to him!) so I might just have a couple of questions for you guys down the line.

Wayne, would it be OK if I PM you in the next couple of weeks/months if I have questions?

All the best for the new year, hope you guys are happier with each passing day.

as they say in NZ... sweet as bro.

Have any of you guys dabbled with kitesurfing here in NZ? It seems to make sense since the wind blows often.

We went for our first lesson this week and loved it...

Have any of you guys dabbled with kitesurfing here in NZ? It seems to make sense since the wind blows often.

Karl van Wyk do. He record his surfs/rides/? on Strava if you want to check it out.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

@beanz kite foils. He also stays on the shore. I can PM you his details if you like.

Back at work... bleh!

The holiday went by way too fast!

But I'me already planning the next 3 mini holidays, which include:

• Kayaking with Hector's dolphins (smallest and rarest dolphin in the world).
  • Camping near Mount Cook.
  • 1400km dirt bike adventure in Central Otago and Canterbury

Anyone here have ideas of fun things to do in Auckland? I'm staying in the CBD this week, and am at the mercy of public transport.

I have done quite a bit over the holiday but wont bore you all with ALLLL the things, so maybe just this one post about one specific area in the South Island:

So I saw the Kaiteriteri MTB park trails on Trailforks and didn't give it much thought or planning until Mr. Molloy told me it is a must do and that I will have fun.... wow, amazing park. Small compared to the unlimited amount of trails in and round Nelson but the ups are just SOOOOOO much more forgiving (saying that I still did about 2000m accent in 20km) but it was easy dare I say fun climbing. If you know me you will know the size of my smile after a section trail explain all about how much fun I had, I swear my cheeks were sore after my time there.

I HIGHLY recommend going to this place to ride if you are doing a trip to the South Island, actually I recommend planning a riding trip just to go ride around Nelson area. 99% of the trails are free to ride, yes incl the Kaiteriteri park. I have no idea how they do that...well I guess passionate people go a far way.

The area other than riding: Keiteriteri is beautiful. The beaches etc. Able Tasman park is right there if you want to go kayak and hike and then also loads of wine farms and breweries. A 'real fruit' ice cream is to be found every 5km almost and I think the little town Mapua is a must for a brunch till dinner stoll. SO many other beautiful free nature attractions like caves, natural springs, waterfalls, rock climbing etc etc. Did I mention how beautiful it is? :) But then again I guess we all know already one doesn't have to go far anywhere other than look out your window in NZ to see natures beauty.

**and of course my holiday wouldn't have been so 'pain free' without having Wayne dropping me at the airport and picking me up again and listening to all my blabbing in his ears on the drive home :D THANKS AGAIN!!

post-24697-0-24905500-1483923924_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-87367400-1483924267_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-92542600-1483924299_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-37963800-1483924329_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-24239100-1483924062_thumb.jpg

Edited by hayleyearth

I made a noob mistake today on karikari beach. It's a black sand beach. I want for a long walk barefoot and now have blisters under all of my toes. That soft skin between the balls of your feet and the balls under your toes.

Not a happy guy.

I made a noob mistake today on karikari beach. It's a black sand beach. I want for a long walk barefoot and now have blisters under all of my toes. That soft skin between the balls of your feet and the balls under your toes.

Not a happy guy.

Is the black sand more abrasive than our white sand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no.

Just super super hot.

Absorbs sun heat like mad.

I remember the sand on Durban beaches as a kid. Had me in tears a couple of times. You tried walking barefoot only once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk