New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/65+Buffalo+Beach+Rd,+Whitianga+3510/@-36.8197999,175.6987777,19z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x6d725c3bcdfefc6f:0x126b8d66385debff!8m2!3d-36.8197999!4d175.6993262

I woke up at this spot this morning, yip, right across the beach, but woke up by my own alarm (4:30am) because we didn't hear the tsunami alarm but apparently half the town did evacuate when the alarm went. I wouldn't think that a tsunami would be a huge threat there with all the island protecting that bay a lot.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/65+Buffalo+Beach+Rd,+Whitianga+3510/@-36.8197999,175.6987777,19z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x6d725c3bcdfefc6f:0x126b8d66385debff!8m2!3d-36.8197999!4d175.6993262

I woke up at this spot this morning, yip, right across the beach, but woke up by my own alarm (4:30am) because we didn't hear the tsunami alarm but apparently half the town did evacuate when the alarm went. I wouldn't think that a tsunami would be a huge threat there with all the island protecting that bay a lot.

Have you been to the "bike park" in Whitianga?

Have you been to the "bike park" in Whitianga?

Not yet, took my road bike this past weekend. On my next trip I am planning to go have a looksee.

Not yet, took my road bike this past weekend. On my next trip I am planning to go have a looksee.

Don't set your expectations too high  :P

There's a rather disused bmx style track, and a few short single track paths that are probably better suited to walking. Also a little bit of woodwork in a field.

Hopefully its gotten some attention since I was there 2+ years ago. The cows were friendly at least. 

You still in the Coramandel?

I work in Domestic transport and i cannot begin to tell you how much of a mess this is.

6 weeks before Christmas and we are a major player in delivery to retail stores around the country and this is a right mess.

Not only are we struggling to get freight across the straight, but wellington is in complete gridlock and pandemonium right now.

We have systematically shut down our Wellington, Blenheim and Kaikoura branches.

Hectic stuff.

I work in Domestic transport and i cannot begin to tell you how much of a mess this is.

6 weeks before Christmas and we are a major player in delivery to retail stores around the country and this is a right mess.

Not only are we struggling to get freight across the straight, but wellington is in complete gridlock and pandemonium right now.

We have systematically shut down our Wellington, Blenheim and Kaikoura branches.

Hectic stuff.

I can imagine the chaos.

Know the industry, and silly season is challenging enough without any external influences.

Good luck, and may your sanity remain intact :) 

Hectic stuff.

events like these show we still need some decent sized balloons.

LM_hybrid_sling_load.jpg

Morning All,

Just a quick note:

My second interview went extremely well! I have my employment letter and signed my employment contract. Already flying back tomorrow (Sunday) at 18h50 to start rolling up our lives in SA and providing the immigration agent with the relevant info to secure the working visa.

I will be working for Allegion which has their offices in Rosebank Rd, Avondale.

I am looking for a bit of feedback for you all regarding renting in the North Shore and area such as Te Atatu (Peninsula & South).

As a family we would be looking at a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 1 lockup garage set up.

Hopefully not too expensive in a relatively good area for about NZ$ 550-600 p.w. With the increase in prices the last 3 months since we started looking, I am not sure how achievable this will be. :) So if anyone know of something, please let me know.

Morning All,

Just a quick note:

My second interview went extremely well! I have my employment letter and signed my employment contract. Already flying back tomorrow (Sunday) at 18h50 to start rolling up our lives in SA and providing the immigration agent with the relevant info to secure the working visa.

I will be working for Allegion which has their offices in Rosebank Rd, Avondale.

I am looking for a bit of feedback for you all regarding renting in the North Shore and area such as Te Atatu (Peninsula & South).

As a family we would be looking at a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 1 lockup garage set up.

Hopefully not too expensive in a relatively good area for about NZ$ 550-600 p.w. With the increase in prices the last 3 months since we started looking, I am not sure how achievable this will be. :) So if anyone know of something, please let me know.

Congrats!

I can't speak for many areas of central Auckland, but I'd definitely avoid Te Atatu South.