New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

I took my kiwi learner's motorcycle tests last week. Was pretty nerve wracking.

In SA the learners license is just a simple multiple choice test. A 17yr old can pass that, jump straight onto a 120kW superbike, and go weave through traffic on the N1 (provided they don't have a passenger).

In NZ the learner's license has 2 parts.

The first being the Basic Handling test, where one gets on a tiny little delivery bike, and performs certain sequences of maneuvers under examination. Not as easy as I thought it would be.

Once a certificate for that has been obtained, one goes to their local VINZ, VTNZ, or AA to take the theory test. A 35 question multiple choice test, requiring a minimum pass mark of 91.4% (only 3 incorrect answers allowed).

That then entitles one to ride a LAMS approved motorcycle. Basically a bike under 660cc with a power to weight ratio of less than 150kW/ton (with 90kg allowed for rider weight.

The bike learners is valid for 5yrs. It takes a minimum of 12 months to progress from that to a "restricted" bike license. Not sure how long from restricted to full license.

Anyway, I passed, which makes it legal for me to go on my 1400km South Island off-road adventure in 2 weeks time.

Only downside... I had to hand in my regular Kiwi drivers licence (the green one), and they have issued me with a replacement blue one that says "LEARNER" under the photo. Fortunately the back part of the license clarifies that the learner part is only applicable to the motorcycle side of things. 

post-10758-0-83523000-1486074498_thumb.png

Here's the rough idea of the checkpoints. We'll be riding off-road most of the time though, so routes will be different.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In SA the learners license is just a simple multiple choice test. A 17yr old can pass that, jump straight onto a 120kW superbike, and go weave through traffic on the N1 (provided they don't have a passenger).

The first being the Basic Handling test, where one gets on a tiny little delivery bike, and performs certain sequences of maneuvers under examination. Not as easy as I thought it would be.

Once a certificate for that has been obtained, one goes to their local VINZ, VTNZ, or AA to take the theory test. A 35 question multiple choice test, requiring a minimum pass mark of 91.4% (only 3 incorrect answers allowed).

That then entitles one to ride a LAMS approved motorcycle. Basically a bike under 660cc with a power to weight ratio of less than 150kW/ton (with 90kg allowed for rider weight.

The bike learners is valid for 5yrs. It takes a minimum of 12 months to progress from that to a "restricted" bike license. Not sure how long from restricted to full license.

Anyway, I passed, which makes it legal for me to go on my 1400km South Island off-road adventure in 2 weeks time.

Only downside... I had to hand in my regular Kiwi drivers licence (the green one), and they have issued me with a replacement blue one that says "LEARNER" under the photo. Fortunately the back part of the license clarifies that the learner part is only applicable to the motorcycle side of things. 

attachicon.gifDusty Butt Checkpoints.PNG

Here's the rough idea of the checkpoints. We'll be riding off-road most of the time though, so routes will be different.

Funrider.

Patches, what if you have a SA motorcycle licence can you not just convert it like you do with a car?

Patches, what if you have a SA motorcycle licence can you not just convert it like you do with a car?

Yes you can - I did mine and am licensed to ride a mean machine. Which I did, briefly, before realising I am too old for that sort of dangerous nonsense.

The official routes for our South Island  dirt bike adventure has been published. Navigation is part of the challenge. Fuel management is too (as I only have a 9.5L tank and some days the longest stretch between fuel stops is 280km, so I need to carry extra).

Can't wait though! Bring on next weekend!

post-10758-0-19565700-1486581278_thumb.png

Winter is coming :(

This morning I had to use my front light on full ball on my commute.

Off to Rotorua again tomorrow .. 3rd weekend in a row, I have fallen in love!!

Some pics of last weekend (Mount Maunganui):

post-24697-0-14774400-1486590294_thumb.jpeg

post-24697-0-21775800-1486592597_thumb.jpg

Summerhill trails, Tauranga..... up-and-down park, needs a bit of maintenance on the general trails, they have a jump park too and a very nice flowy-ee trail on the other side of the road (it is kinda new apparently):

post-24697-0-65808400-1486593016_thumb.jpg

At the top of Frank n' Furter https://www.trailforks.com/trails/frank-n--furter-70817/

The we went into Riff Raff, into Rocky Horror, Roller Coaster, Moonshine back to shuttle... FUN! :wub: I rode with 5 people that will race to qualify for EWS this coming weekend....they are blits but such awesome folk!

post-24697-0-34542000-1486590373_thumb.jpg

Lake Tarawera........ skurfing... skiing with a surfboard:

post-24697-0-92515300-1486592260_thumb.jpg

Lake Tarawera view from bach's porch we stayed in :drool: :

post-24697-0-76892400-1486592439_thumb.jpg

Very nice. Lake Tarawera is one of my favourite places...and I haven't been at all this year. Schwak.

The official routes for our South Island  dirt bike adventure has been published. Navigation is part of the challenge. Fuel management is too (as I only have a 9.5L tank and some days the longest stretch between fuel stops is 280km, so I need to carry extra).

Can't wait though! Bring on next weekend!

Ride safe brosef.

Hi All,

Has anyone ridden the trails at Riverhead Forest yet? Or is that old hat? Looking for XC trails other than Woodhill Forest.

Hi All,

Has anyone ridden the trails at Riverhead Forest yet? Or is that old hat? Looking for XC trails other than Woodhill Forest.

I've walked a bit at Riverhead. Its nice in summer and a mudbath in winter. It can help to have a local around since there's a lot of paths (https://www.trailforks.com/region/riverhead-forest/). Also out there is the WCRC compound (https://www.trailforks.com/region/west-coast-riders-club/), which is a steep up with several fun downhills. Its a little more resistant to bad weather since many of the tracks are open to the sun.

In my backyard (East Auckland) we've got the amazing Maraetai Forest trails (https://www.trailforks.com/region/maraetai-forest/). A mix of XC and more "enduro" focused trails, most of them with a good dose of tech.

Thanks Niterider, I am on steel Momsen STR-29 with zero suspension, and riding skills not good enough for enduro type terrain.. I will see if I can give that trail of yours a go. :)