New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to ride my bicycle yesterday. first MTB ride in about 5 months  :ph34r:

I forgot how much hard work bicycles are, hahaha!

I also realized how easily one loses skills not only fitness. I think all the dirt biking has benefits, but also sneaks in bad habits that don't translate well on the MTB.

Some awesome riding in my back yard though. Some VERY cool DH and enduro tracks. All free. All well marked.

post-10758-0-90905800-1479761276_thumb.jpg

View from the top of my hill

post-10758-0-87637100-1479761282_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-33158700-1479761304_thumb.jpg

I cut across the Crater Rim trail and found myself in Victoria Park

Edited by patches

Shoot that looks like fun. Good thing with MTB, I find, is that after about 3 or 4 rides the skillz come back...need a good solid 3 weeks of pain and suffering for the fitness to come back though. Keep at it!

Hey guys. Some advise needed please; I have been using a Garmin Edge 500 for a couple of years now and its been great, but I recently noticed that when using it at Woodhill Forest or Riverhead the accuracy is absolutely rubbish. What bike gps's are you guys using for forest type riding? 

Hey guys. Some advise needed please; I have been using a Garmin Edge 500 for a couple of years now and its been great, but I recently noticed that when using it at Woodhill Forest or Riverhead the accuracy is absolutely rubbish. What bike gps's are you guys using for forest type riding? 

It's not the device that's problematic, it is being in a forest where there isn't a clear view of the sky. Get a speed sensor and your troubles are over - get the one that fits on the hub of your wheel, I put it on the back wheel so it annoys the dude behind rather than annoying me.

You'll have the same issues with most Garmins (Garmen?). Certainly the case with an 810 and my wife's 1000.

The newer models have slightly better accuracy since they also use GLONASS (I have a 510 and a Fenix 3), but dense tree cover will always be a challenge for small gps devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some sheep escaped onto our local sports fields today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy way to mow ahead of the weekend's cricket game :)

Easy way to mow ahead of the weekend's cricket game :)

It is indeed, I remember our football ground in Joburg, Rand Stadium, had a flock of sheep for that exact job!

Tomorrow I am going to attempt the Around The Lake race ride. I have not been on a bike (of any sorts) in 2 weeks. I have not sit really (even on a chairs) as I have a standing desk at work now (coccyx damage after accident).

I am riding as part of the Holden team. I don't even like Holdens :ph34r:  :whistling:  :D

I am obviously only doing it for the VIP tent (free beers etc) afterwards. ^_^

And if I can still walk and sit on Sunday I will be going for a trails ride in Rotorua !! :clap:

Tomorrow I am going to attempt the Around The Lake race ride. I have not been on a bike (of any sorts) in 2 weeks. I have not sit really (even on a chairs) as I have a standing desk at work now (coccyx damage after accident).

I am riding as part of the Holden team. I don't even like Holdens :ph34r:  :whistling:  :D

I am obviously only doing it for the VIP tent (free beers etc) afterwards. ^_^

And if I can still walk and sit on Sunday I will be going for a trails ride in Rotorua !! :clap:

Good luck! I hope the weather treats you kindly.