New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

I read the other day that NZ had cut back on people (res and non-res) coming into the country by 95% on average last year, some months were 99% down, this wasn't much of a surprise.

I also read they're closing their immigration office in Pretoria.

And then... they've been on a 'skilled' migrant hire freeze for 6 months till March. I don't know why hiring agencies and job postings don't explicitly say this. Here I'm living in hope gleefully applying for jobs like a proper knob

The agencies don’t care, the more clients they have on their books the better.

Moral of the story is don’t procrastinate when it comes to emigrating

The clock is ticking, age is your enemy.... ok and this damn cv19

Good luck

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you don’t like what you read on this thread, rather stay off. You seem very sour.

That's not true, I like this thread very much.That's why I read it.I just get a little annoyed when our noses get rubbed in what a 3rd world sh*thole we live in.

I have family and friends in NZ and would consider a move tomorrow if I had some extra cash.

But its true, it's like an idyllic place, very country orientated. Almost like the Shire that's why the joke about the Hobbits.And it is in the middle of nowhere...except for Antartica of course.

Just an observation, of my family (my brother, both his daughters and their families) and a few mates that have gone to NZ, most of which were pretty keen cyclists here in SA, only 1 has actively kept up his cycling at least to what he did here.

Those of you that have moved, have you found something similar? Have any theories why that might be .....

No Spruit!

Seriously though, whilst there are hundreds and thousands of amazing MTB trails, in Auckland it's about accessibility and the 2 main places that Aucklanders ride (Woodhill and Riverhead) require about a 30-45min drive for most to get there.

The Spruit was on the doorstep for thousands of cyclists.

Also the prominent MTB disciplines here are not the same as the ones in SA. SA is very XCM focused. NZ is very trail and enduro focused. It's quite rare to see XC bikes out and about on the trails. Lycra even mores so.

Plus there's the social aspect. Back in SA most would have had riding buddies to motivate when motivation was low. Now one needs to find new buddies. Easier said than done with Kiwis. Although I have heard a fair few Saffer accents (and even the taal) around the forests of woodhill.

As for road cycling, no expertise there so can't comment.

Other than that, it's as Wayne said, there are many many other outdoor activities. Whether it's seaside ones like SUP, kayaking, etc, or just accessibility to great walking and hiking trails. It's just different and I guess people try something new.

I never had a motorcycle back in SA. I was scared enough to ride my bicycle on the road. In NZ I found that whilst motorists can still be dozy, they're generally not aggressive and take a lot more caution around motorcyclists. that combined with the bush/rural areas being a pretty safe places to be (from a crime point of view) made it a lot more enticing to buy a bike and explore on 2 wheels.

Plus there's the social aspect. Back in SA most would have had riding buddies to motivate when motivation was low. Now one needs to find new buddies.

That's not true, I like this thread very much.That's why I read it.I just get a little annoyed when our noses get rubbed in what a 3rd world sh*thole we live in.

I have family and friends in NZ and would consider a move tomorrow if I had some extra cash.

But its true, it's like an idyllic place, very country orientated. Almost like the Shire that's why the joke about the Hobbits.And it is in the middle of nowhere...except for Antartica of course.

Fair point.

I know that sometimes my tact and sensitivity can be lacking on posts about the good in NZ and drawing comparisons to life in SA. I need to be more conscious of that.

I like that Wayne titled this thread "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly", as it isn't perfect, despite what our glowing reviews may suggest.

There are some very real issues here.

There are some very real issues here.

Yep.

Housing, child poverty, high suicide rates and another lockdown spring to mind.

Overall, I prefer my life here to a huge degree, but it isnt without its warts.

No Spruit!

Seriously though, whilst there are hundreds and thousands of amazing MTB trails, in Auckland it's about accessibility and the 2 main places that Aucklanders ride (Woodhill and Riverhead) require about a 30-45min drive for most to get there.

The Spruit was on the doorstep for thousands of cyclists.

Also the prominent MTB disciplines here are not the same as the ones in SA. SA is very XCM focused. NZ is very trail and enduro focused. It's quite rare to see XC bikes out and about on the trails. Lycra even mores so.

Plus there's the social aspect. Back in SA most would have had riding buddies to motivate when motivation was low. Now one needs to find new buddies. Easier said than done with Kiwis. Although I have heard a fair few Saffer accents (and even the taal) around the forests of woodhill.

As for road cycling, no expertise there so can't comment.

Other than that, it's as Wayne said, there are many many other outdoor activities. Whether it's seaside ones like SUP, kayaking, etc, or just accessibility to great walking and hiking trails. It's just different and I guess people try something new.

I never had a motorcycle back in SA. I was scared enough to ride my bicycle on the road. In NZ I found that whilst motorists can still be dozy, they're generally not aggressive and take a lot more caution around motorcyclists. that combined with the bush/rural areas being a pretty safe places to be (from a crime point of view) made it a lot more enticing to buy a bike and explore on 2 wheels.

Plus there's the social aspect. Back in SA most would have had riding buddies to motivate when motivation was low. Now one needs to find new buddies.

Agree!! Similar experience for me.

Although I do ride “road” but find it very difficult here with all the 65kg Europeans on Pro Spec bikes. Not uncommon for a road ride to be 38km/h average speed. And some faster. My African bones can’t do that speed!

I rode the Spruit twice a week and was at Northern Farms every Sunday with wife, kids and old man. I cannot explain just how much I miss that!

Agree!! Similar experience for me.

Although I do ride “road” but find it very difficult here with all the 65kg Europeans on Pro Spec bikes. Not uncommon for a road ride to be 38km/h average speed. And some faster. My African bones can’t do that speed!

I rode the Spruit twice a week and was at Northern Farms every Sunday with wife, kids and old man. I cannot explain just how much I miss that!

My experience has been similar. Finding people to regularly ride with seems to be harder here than what it was in SA. The other thing is that personally I find being entered into events helps a lot with motivation. The issue is that the price of most cycling events are pretty steep. So depending on priorities it can be a bit prohibiting especially for the out of town ones.

Here's a strange bad, given that folk seem to be looking for that:

The lack of beasts of all sizes.  You drop a crumb in Africa, there's competition between ants, flies, birds, a lizard and whatever over it.  Probably the ants (and crumb) get eaten by the bird.  Here you drop a crumb, a week later it's still there.

I try and spend some time in the bush here.  It's flippn impenetrable.  And compared to Africa, empty.  There are a couple of birds, of about 4 species, and aside from one of a couple of variety of deer, and possums, and occasionally wallabies, nothing.  It's like all the ecological niches are empty.

In Africa at sunset, you get a set of evening sounds - guinea fowl and pheasants all putting themselves to bed etc, here - nothing.  Just gets dark.

It's kind of like being in primordial forest waiting for dinosaurs to evolve.

Edited by davetapson

Here's a strange bad, given that folk seem to be looking for that:

Which, of course, obviously, leads to a good [emoji846]

DOC mountain huts. They're all over the place, cheap or free, generally well maintained (by you, when you stay there) and you don't have to leave someone awake to stop having your boots stolen by the Suth's.

Where I was last w/e when I heard about this lockdown... free.

Somebody in the hut book had been coming here for 40 years.

A bad/good: they get to build their history with a place, we get to start ours.

5ad5697855590c1f124feeea867431cf.jpg0e0c31ac225a357d0a5c1a54055ce598.jpg4d48aefd1ea5d13450e4a867d9c73c9f.jpg7cd3e9b029c2e4fa5e15bf26a0e6660b.jpg

Went to Christchurch this weekend to take my daughter to the XC Nationals. It was an awesome event, brilliant course at Crocodile MTB Park. Event planners gave such carful consideration to spectators, lots of proper track crossings, lots of viewpoints and you could see lots of track from a single point. Brilliant event - and my daughter got 5th in her 1st year in U19 (currently 16).

Anton Cooper commented in his post race interview that its the first time hes raced in front of a crowd in a year - only for us to return to Auckland Level 3.

I think the park is part of Christchurch Adventure Park, but could be wrong! Wish I had my bike there, but hopefully can go back one of these days.

Also took a quick trip to Akoroa which was amazing.

post-44492-0-38607800-1614558305_thumb.jpg

post-44492-0-78302500-1614558312_thumb.jpg

post-44492-0-32483000-1614558322_thumb.jpg

post-44492-0-83851500-1614558349_thumb.jpg

Went to Christchurch this weekend to take my daughter to the XC Nationals. It was an awesome event, brilliant course at Crocodile MTB Park. Event planners gave such carful consideration to spectators, lots of proper track crossings, lots of viewpoints and you could see lots of track from a single point. Brilliant event - and my daughter got 5th in her 1st year in U19 (currently 16).

Anton Cooper commented in his post race interview that its the first time hes raced in front of a crowd in a year - only for us to return to Auckland Level 3.

I think the park is part of Christchurch Adventure Park, but could be wrong! Wish I had my bike there, but hopefully can go back one of these days.

Also took a quick trip to Akoroa which was amazing.

Nice one Clippies!

I never even knew Crocodile MTB park existed. Looks like it's further along next to the Adventure Park. May be the same owners/operators.

post-10758-0-05943000-1614559558_thumb.png

So much riding in that area. Victoria Park, Bowenvale, Crater Rim, so many great trail areas. I used to live near that pink dot. Oh how I squandered my MTBing opportunities when I was there!  :ph34r:

As for Akaroa, that is an awesome place. I'll be heading down there in about 2 weeks time (Covid level  dependent).

Looks like Havelock North has seen some serious increase in the last 12 months.

Yikes!

155922328_10221347056998787_873362408702

The bad and the ugly!

So for those living in NZ you're probably well aware of the current situation around the Auckland lockdown.

For those that may not know, Auckland went into an sudden Level 3 lockdown, announced last Saturday night (9pm-ish) and effective from 6am the next day.

The cause was a new community case whereby a young man (21) who was supposed to be isolating, went all over the show, with symptoms and while waiting for his Covid test results  :cursing: 

His mother (same household) also tested positive, but with no clear epidemical link and based on his travels the government decided to lock down the city for 7 days.

Turns out it was his mother that contracted the virus first after going for a walk with a member of another household during the previous 3 day lockdown (when they were not supposed to) BUT she intentionally didn't disclose this to the authorities, out of fear of the repercussions for breaking lockdown those 2 weeks back. The information was brought to light by the other household

However, had she disclosed this initially, they would have seen that she contracted it first (not her son), that there was a strong epidemical link, and the city may not have been sent into lockdown.

The 7 day lockdown is estimated to incur around $500m in losses. Not only is that a figure, but that is small businesses going under. Families unable to pay rent, buy food, etc. (despite the governments best attempts at a wage subsidy).

Yet the government still steers away from introducing any form of punishment or fine for lockdown breaches or false information given in these cases. they are worried it will scare people away from telling the truth or coming forward to be tested.

However, if I fail to declare an apple on a flight coming in from Australia (or anywhere else internationally), I get a $400 fine from biosecurity. No matter whether I intentionally didn't declare it (to try sneak it in) or I had forgotten/was unaware of it. So to stay on the safe most people declare ANY food products they may have and let biosecurity determine the risk. The worst consequence then is having that food confiscated, should it pose a risk.

I think a similar approach can be taken with covid contact tracing. Cases should willingly share information, and can be encouraged to do so, under the offer of some sort of amnesty for most actions that may have caused the contamination (like 2 aunties going for a walk while they should be isolating and social distancing).

BUT if a case purposely withholds or misleads authorities, they should face some sort of punishment/fine. Ultimately the authorities find out (just like the beagles at biosecurity), so pulling a sneaky should land one in hot water as the wider implications can be dire.

Anyway, that's just my 2c as an Aucklander who it furious and frustrated that 2 tannies taking a walk together (when they knew it was prohibited), and one youngster going to gym right after his Covid test, has ultimately cost livelihoods (and possibly lives).

Edited by patches

By and large the NZ response to covid has been brilliant.

This however, is a major flaw. 

Our plan relies on people following the rules and regulations. Given that a small % of any population will always deviate from the rules, and with no enforceable repercussions, the system is at risk of collapse.