New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Haha, you fishing I see! :devil:

Coppi was so out of line! WP was just doing the right thing ekse! If any of the regulars had seen that ahead of him, then they would've done the tuning! Plus, you've covered the pseudo Dad angle!

(Coppi should be sending a case of choc sterri stumpies to NZ asking for forgiveness!) :ph34r: :whistling:

steri stumpi. Yummo

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha! Whoop whoop! That's it! Get the practise out the way for when you next visit here and we'll road trip up the coast chasing waves!

For the wetsuit. Take a plastic packet with. Put your foot into it and push through the wet suit. You'll get in sooooo much easier. Can even do it with your hands to get them through the arms too. Especially if the suit you are wearing is damp or hasn't been worn in a long time. Somehow either of those scenarios makes the suit a little sticky to get on.

If the water's properly cold, you may want to get hold of an old 2plus litre water bootle. (5lt works better) and top it up with only warm water from the tap before you leave home. Put it somewhere in the sun whilst you're surfing and when you get out and get back to your rig, Open the suit and pour the warm water over. You'll warm up quick, remove the salty crustiness that settles on your face after the saltwater dries, rinse out the hair to prevent it drying out and rinse out the wetsuit, adding life to that too!

I saw them doing this here in Mount Maunganui the other weekend when I was there. Most cars parked along the beach had 5l bottles on their roofs.

For the wetsuit. Take a plastic packet with. Put your foot into it and push through the wet suit. You'll get in sooooo much easier. Can even do it with your hands to get them through the arms too. Especially if the suit you are wearing is damp or hasn't been worn in a long time. Somehow either of those scenarios makes the suit a little sticky to get on.

The rental wetsuit I got in Raglan didn't require any advanced trickery like that, it was so stretched. And only a shorty springsuit anyway, so no big deal to get into. My own full suit on the other hand, I'm definitely trying that next time, thanks!

Had so much fun this weekend, all I rode was waves (no bikes for the 1st time this year I think).

My eyes got proper rinsed out with salt water and I discover that I burp a lot while surfing :D and it just taste like salt water....hahaha...although I didn't really swallow any water (thank goodness)

A little bit more of myself regarding water sports....I am scared (as in terrified) of water! Not just from the stuff (animals) inside but also from drowning etc. I taught myself how to freestyle swim at 28years old (before that I just did doggie paddle and granny style, and being able to drift on my back I always saw as my saving grace) and although I grew up along the coast I never did the body surfing or body boarding etc (was always scared of loosing my costume.. :blush:). This weekend was totally different though, with the wetsuit on I felt I was indestructible..haha.. diving into waves, felt very comfy in the water even the once or twice the waves broke on me, or I nose dived the board :blush:  etc

I was lucky with very good weather in Raglan, the waves were small though. Quite some work needed to catch them.

Ragland = apparently there is a time where the waves from the 3 bays run into each other and you can stay on the wave (if you are a good surfer) for like 10min....true story! Leg pump! (kinda like arm pump like we riders get)

post-24697-0-98809600-1488149236_thumb.jpg

The 1st day out I had a ship of a board so I could stand on my 1st wave/try and then be on the white water till the end:

post-24697-0-87949800-1488156805_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-97665800-1488157023_thumb.png

post-24697-0-55319600-1488157244_thumb.jpg

The 2nd day I had a much smaller board, still soft top, but I had to get use to it 1st (struggled more to stand and had to lie WAY more back to not nose dive).

Some 'tricks' I learnt for myself was that it helps A LOT to lift your head and shoulders up up the moment the wave hits, it helps not to nose dive and also when you are a bit slow for the wave to be completely on it, just push down with your hands a bit more to the front of the board to just get it over the front of the wave.

The best thing for me was to get that sweet spot where I 'learnt' the 2nd board and then could catch and stand on each wave till my arms got tired! I went for a banana break then :)

I honestly loved it and want to get to know it more and would like to improve...the steps from now will be hard though and maybe will go for a surfing course or so, like a 3 day thing, one-on-one coaching. Urgh, why didn't I start this earlier in my life...

Lekker en well done HA!

Pasop, dis amper so verslawend soos MTB...gelukkig cheaper om te onderhou.

Had so much fun this weekend, all I rode was waves (no bikes for the 1st time this year I think).

My eyes got proper rinsed out with salt water and I discover that I burp a lot while surfing :D and it just taste like salt water....hahaha...although I didn't really swallow any water (thank goodness)

A little bit more of myself regarding water sports....I am scared (as in terrified) of water! Not just from the stuff (animals) inside but also from drowning etc. I taught myself how to freestyle swim at 28years old (before that I just did doggie paddle and granny style, and being able to drift on my back I always saw as my saving grace) and although I grew up along the coast I never did the body surfing or body boarding etc (was always scared of loosing my costume.. :blush:). This weekend was totally different though, with the wetsuit on I felt I was indestructible..haha.. diving into waves, felt very comfy in the water even the once or twice the waves broke on me, or I nose dived the board :blush:  etc

I was lucky with very good weather in Raglan, the waves were small though. Quite some work needed to catch them.

Ragland = apparently there is a time where the waves from the 3 bays run into each other and you can stay on the wave (if you are a good surfer) for like 10min....true story! Leg pump! (kinda like arm pump like we riders get)

attachicon.gifIMG_20170226_095116.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20170224_192219.jpg

The 1st day out I had a ship of a board so I could stand on my 1st wave/try and then be on the white water till the end:

attachicon.gif1.jpg

attachicon.gif2.png

attachicon.gif3a.jpg

The 2nd day I had a much smaller board, still soft top, but I had to get use to it 1st (struggled more to stand and had to lie WAY more back to not nose dive).

Some 'tricks' I learnt for myself was that it helps A LOT to lift your head and shoulders up up the moment the wave hits, it helps not to nose dive and also when you are a bit slow for the wave to be completely on it, just push down with your hands a bit more to the front of the board to just get it over the front of the wave.

The best thing for me was to get that sweet spot where I 'learnt' the 2nd board and then could catch and stand on each wave till my arms got tired! I went for a banana break then :)

I honestly loved it and want to get to know it more and would like to improve...the steps from now will be hard though and maybe will go for a surfing course or so, like a 3 day thing, one-on-one coaching. Urgh, why didn't I start this earlier in my life...

snipped

Urgh, why didn't I start this earlier in my life...

Stoked to hear you had a major blast Hayley!!!! Never too late to get into it! Be amped that you had the courage to check it out at all! The first 6 months are the most difficult part. In that time, there's no such thing as waiting for quality waves, there's only quantity time in the water! 

Beware, once you're fully into it, it's more than a hobby and all those corny cliches finally start having meaning, like only a surfer knows the feeling! Oh and welcome to the tribe!  :thumbup:

Parting thought - Waiting for waves is OK, some people spend their whole lives waiting for nothing at all!

Lekker en well done HA!

Pasop, dis amper so verslawend soos MTB...gelukkig cheaper om te onderhou.

Miskien as ek in dit in kom kan jy dalk vir my n board shape :)

Daar gaan verseker n trail bike of a berg of iets op dit moet wees :D

Folks. I have a container coming from RSA with some commercial products mid April. I have some space spare. Does anyone need to bring something over?

25% of the twenty foot container is available.

Folks. I have a container coming from RSA with some commercial products mid April. I have some space spare. Does anyone need to bring something over?

I've got some family members. How well ventilated is the container?  :ph34r:

I bet half the NZ hub's interest in the classifieds just spiked.

I've got some family members. How well ventilated is the container?  :ph34r:

I was going to ask if we couldnt just send Dipslick over. Might cheer him up ;) 

Sounds to me like we lost a gem of a man when Wayne Potgieter left this country.