New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Rental wanted: free standing house, single level only, preferably from flexible materials, contact Patches on...

hahaha! Totally!

I'm rethinking my choice of suburb. The suburbs south of town like Cashmere and Huntsbury seem to be some of the nicest, and are midway between the office and the bike park, making both within 5km riding distance.

But they are also closer to the epicenters of yesterday's and the really bad 2011 quake.

I did also think about the single story, free-standing factor :lol:

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rental wanted: free standing house, single level only, preferably from flexible materials, contact Patches on...

With a rubber floor to prevent stuff that fall off shelves from Breaking?  :whistling:  :eek:  :ph34r:

Earthquakes happen here all the time.

I read somewhere that we get 1000 earthquakes a year.

Most are not even felt.

The one last week was pretty big. Stuff fell of shelves and so on.

It was almost exactly the same time as the last big one (2011) so people are pretty weirded out about it.

Ill take my chances with an earthquake over a hijacking and economic failure any day though.....

Starting to stress about my Visa Now. Submitted last week. On monday they came saying they don't recognise my qualifications in terms of the LTSSL. They recommend that i apply for Essential Skills Visa. I have advised them to proceed accordingly and i still wait.

Starting to stress about my Visa Now. Submitted last week. On monday they came saying they don't recognise my qualifications in terms of the LTSSL. They recommend that i apply for Essential Skills Visa. I have advised them to proceed accordingly and i still wait.

I feel your pain!

Tomorrow marks 1 month since the agency submitted my visa. I heard back this morning regarding the additional medical assessment. The assessors want a doctors report regarding a previous surgery. That surgery was performed 15yrs ago, so I doubt the cardio-thoracic surgeon still has record of it.

Anyway, gotta do what you gotta do... right?!

If it were easy....everyone would be doing it.

Persevere gents.....

which visa did you get in on based on the fact that you got a 5 year visa?

which visa did you get in on based on the fact that you got a 5 year visa?

I arrived on a visitors 3 month visa. Then i did my work visa in country.

BUT i dont recommend doing that. In fact, i was almost not allowed entry.

What's your profession? and how come your qualification was not recognised, did they give you a reason?

What's your profession? and how come your qualification was not recognised, did they give you a reason?

Project Manager in Construction. I have a job offer but they don't recognise my diplomas that i have.  There are ways around it just  takes patience.

be interesting to know what happens when your degree is not at all related to the industry you are in. I for example completed a honours in Hydrology, but am a BA/Dev manager in IT...back then Computer Science degree students were full of zits and had coke bottle glasses.....and there were 3 of them

be interesting to know what happens when your degree is not at all related to the industry you are in. I for example completed a honours in Hydrology, but am a BA/Dev manager in IT...back then Computer Science degree students were full of zits and had coke bottle glasses.....and there were 3 of them

Thats when you try the essential skills route

Project Manager in Construction. I have a job offer but they don't recognise my diplomas that i have.  There are ways around it just  takes patience.

Good luck... I'm sure you'll get a Visa if you have a Job Offer lined up...

Thats when you try the essential skills route

Is your employer on the accredited list?

Because then you can go for a Work to Residence visa.

Is your employer on the accredited list?

Because then you can go for a Work to Residence visa.

No they aren't. But PM construction is on the skills shortage list. I am trying to go with Essential skills and have submitted EOI at the same time. Problem is my daughter is in varsity and we only get domestic rates if you have residence. Her fees for this year are R270,000 as n international student!!!   But only R50,000 as a resident!

No they aren't. But PM construction is on the skills shortage list. I am trying to go with Essential skills and have submitted EOI at the same time. Problem is my daughter is in varsity and we only get domestic rates if you have residence. Her fees for this year are R270,000 as n international student!!!   But only R50,000 as a resident!

Yeah the international rates are killer!

I looked into a course at Christchurch Polytech as it's 500m from the office, can be done part time, and my work experience cuts it down from 3yrs to 1yr... BUT as with your daughter, I'm looking at close on R300k until I get residency. Then it drops down to R70k.