New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's more a question of what defines right - pm me your whatsapp number... I will send video - you be the judge...

What's wrong with giving us a little entertainment making a fool of yourself here?  :ph34r:

Not as screwed as we are.Its really bad here and everyone is walking around in a daze

I'm sorry to hear that Kranswurm. All the best.

In anticipation of the coming economic bloodbath, I have listed my house for sale today. It is a reluctant move but if I can get a sale now, I will be pretty happy - and I will take 50k less for it than I might have expected to fetch 6 months prior.

Noooooo your house is amazing.....

This past weekend's project...\

Before

attachicon.gifIMG-20200404-WA0044.jpeg

Crappy old cabinetry and shelves, with a dead space on the right. Wanting something cleaner and more modern...

Concept & Planning

attachicon.gifIMG-20200419-WA0007.jpeg

...so I modelled up a concept. First just a quick 3D one in AutoCAD

attachicon.gifTV Area Concept Image.png

Then a more detailed structural drawing in Revit, showing what needs to be demolished (red), what stays, and what's new

attachicon.gifDemolition SW View.png

attachicon.gifNew Wall SW View.png

Execution

Then I summoned my inner tradie. Ordered materials, rented a nail-gun, and justified the purchase of some more power tools (mitre saw and screw gun).

attachicon.gifIMG-20200502-WA0006.jpg

The "chop-shop"

attachicon.gifIMG-20200502-WA0019.jpg

I was ***-scared of this thing at first, but got the hang of it.

attachicon.gifIMG-20200502-WA0012.jpg

Framing done!

attachicon.gifIMG-20200503-WA0003.jpg

Gib fixed in place.

So yeah, despite the crappy weather this weekend, I managed to keep myself busy.

Next weekend is plastering/gib stopping.

But man, my body is feeling it. Being a tradie (and an amateur one) isn't for the weak :lol:

What sort of mumbo-jumbo engineering & planning is this - you have let the side down seriously ! Everyone knows that the engineers houses are built and repaired with absolutely no forethought, just like the mechanics car is held together with baling wire and body-filla.

Next you will tell us you read the manual for that fancy big screen TV.

You are not beyond redemption though. That last picture shows a TV with a stand size X metres wide, balanced precariously on a table top, also of critical dimension X metres wide.  No sneezing allowed! 

In anticipation of the coming economic bloodbath, I have listed my house for sale today. It is a reluctant move but if I can get a sale now, I will be pretty happy - and I will take 50k less for it than I might have expected to fetch 6 months prior.

You may have mentioned it in the previous 268 pages, but why the sale if I may ask - moving area or ridding of an albatross ? 

You may have mentioned it in the previous 268 pages, but why the sale if I may ask - moving area or ridding of an albatross ? 

Selling purely because of the economic chaos New Zealand is about to encounter.

A few things:

Tourism is gone. AirBNBs, which have put the squeeze on the long term rental market, are about to flood back into the market as there are a ton of landlords who have daisy-chained AirBNBs thanks to cheap finance and positive cashflows. They're going to find those cashflows seriously reversed and as small investors highly leveraged, they do not have the capital to carry more than 2 or 3 months before something's gotta give.

Not all those rentals will be in demand, because set up as AirBNBs, they will be more expensive ones. Also, demand is likely to drop as we won't have any new immigrants for a while because we are expecting up to 230k more unemployed NZers.

In short, I think there will be a housing glut soon, with prices coming down and difficulty selling. Bear in mind, post-2008, when tourism took a knock because of the GFC (Global Fried Chicken), you could buy a beachfront 4-bed house in Ohope for around $380k. Until recently, the same sort of property would run you north of 800k.

With tourism now completely deleted, the outlook is grim. So I want to become a renter again.

What sort of mumbo-jumbo engineering & planning is this - you have let the side down seriously ! Everyone knows that the engineers houses are built and repaired with absolutely no forethought, just like the mechanics car is held together with baling wire and body-filla.

You are not beyond redemption though. That last picture shows a TV with a stand size X metres wide, balanced precariously on a table top, also of critical dimension X metres wide.  No sneezing allowed! 

Patches definitely the kind of guy to read the TV manual  :lol:

Thanks - we like it too, but houses and cars etc are not things to which you should form an emotional bond.

Bicycles and motorbikes of course are in an entirely different category.

This.

We had been looking at buying. Now we are going to sit back and watch for a little while.

Where we are looking in Port Hills CHC, we are expecting to see the prices reduce.

But now with the situation you outline, maybe a nice lakefront 4 bedroom place in Queenstown is on the menu....

Our company is going to get rid of its big $22k a month offices in Newmarket and encourage people to work from home permanently. We are looking to get a much smaller office with 5-10 desks on a rotation basis and a boardroom for client meetings. Basically a space about a quarter the size of what we had. This means that wifey and I (we work for the same company - Intern knows this) can work anywhere in the country for the same salary.

Selling purely because of the economic chaos New Zealand is about to encounter.

A few things:

Tourism is gone. AirBNBs, which have put the squeeze on the long term rental market, are about to flood back into the market as there are a ton of landlords who have daisy-chained AirBNBs thanks to cheap finance and positive cashflows. They're going to find those cashflows seriously reversed and as small investors highly leveraged, they do not have the capital to carry more than 2 or 3 months before something's gotta give.

Not all those rentals will be in demand, because set up as AirBNBs, they will be more expensive ones. Also, demand is likely to drop as we won't have any new immigrants for a while because we are expecting up to 230k more unemployed NZers.

In short, I think there will be a housing glut soon, with prices coming down and difficulty selling. Bear in mind, post-2008, when tourism took a knock because of the GFC (Global Fried Chicken), you could buy a beachfront 4-bed house in Ohope for around $380k. Until recently, the same sort of property would run you north of 800k.

With tourism now completely deleted, the outlook is grim. So I want to become a renter again.

Similar scenes in Sydney I gather, loads of AirBnB's being dropped into the normal renting pool due to total lack of tourists, so rentals are being dropped drastically. Some suburbs with different property demand drivers will be impacted less though, areas which are catchments for exceptionally good state (i.e. free) schools tend to be sheltered from the highs and lows. 

There-in lies the secret. I'm no real engineer, I am but a lowly CAD-monkey (or was once upon a time) with 2 half finished engineering degrees  :ph34r:  :lol:

Patches definitely the kind of guy to read the TV manual  :lol:

I actually did :lol:

When it previously wall mounted the TV, I needed a rough idea of where to feel my way around the back to plug in the TV aerial and network cables.

Edited by patches

This.

We had been looking at buying. Now we are going to sit back and watch for a little while.

Where we are looking in Port Hills CHC, we are expecting to see the prices reduce.

But now with the situation you outline, maybe a nice lakefront 4 bedroom place in Queenstown is on the menu....

Our company is going to get rid of its big $22k a month offices in Newmarket and encourage people to work from home permanently. We are looking to get a much smaller office with 5-10 desks on a rotation basis and a boardroom for client meetings. Basically a space about a quarter the size of what we had. This means that wifey and I (we work for the same company - Intern knows this) can work anywhere in the country for the same salary.

It's one of those strange things in economics. If one person does it, it's a good thing. If everyone does it, does the same hold true ?

If one slashes the entire CBD office demand by 75%, so that 75% of the office space is no longer needed, stands empty and the developers of 3 out 4 buildings go bust - passing the pain onto the banks holding the mortgage. Probably not a nice scenario to be in, and certainly won't be a pleasant neighbourhood to walk through at night.

In a seriously crazy idea, would you still plan and put into action immigration to NZ?

My thoughts...if you were offered a job and could move and start working almost immediately YES. I would rather be here than most countries. Intern is right - things are going to be bleak for a while. But they are going to be bleak everywhere. Some places slightly less than others. I think NZ is one of those places. 

If you were coming here to look for work in a non highly skilled profession, I don't know if finding work would be that easy. It certainly would be hard to justify to Immigration NZ that there are currently no NZers that could do the work.

This.

I just saw "Port Hills" and instantly liked the post without the need to read any more of it, hahaha!

But yeah, when I lived there, the average house on my street in Huntsbury was around a shade over $1m.

But a $1m house there is 4 bed, 3 bath, architecturally designed, under 10yrs old, double glazed, seismically engineered and all that good stuff. Plus there's an awesome view of the city from up there, you're 400m from MTB trails (Rupaki, Crater Rim, and Bowenvale DH track), Victory Park MTB trails under 2km and less than 5km from the bike park. All within about 7km of the CBD.

It's pretty darn awesome!

Man, I'm getting jealous just thinking about it!

As for the dip in Central Otago house prices, I'm watching this eagerly too!

Unfortunately I can't work from anywhere, but if a nice property comes along for the right price, I'll be seriously tempted. Keep the Milford house, and do the Kiwi Boomer thing in 8-10yrs time (ie. sell the overpriced Auckland property and move to the countryside house, pay it off, and have a decent chunk towards retirement).