New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Taking a chance here.

Anyone looking to buy a Toyota Highlander 2015 with 29000 on the clock.

Awesome cars, wish we had them in SA.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheesh feels like I haven't been on here in forever (well I check in but seldom find time to post)....it doesn't mean I have not been busy around on the bike :D

The biggest news I guess is that Wayne lend me (well a kiwi) his bike and I got to take the bloke on his 1st ever trails ride and he loved it (1st bike ride basically since school)....yip he is asking when are we going again :thumbup: We went to Waihi beach for the weekend (now a couple of weekends ago) and then went to ride the trails at Whangamata, the whole park wasn't open due to logging but the trails we did were fun! We also went fishing at some private beaches one actually had to hike to and beer...we drink PLENTY of beer. He is part of the game fishing club and hence we can go into most fishing/marine clubs and have $5 handles :D  :D

post-24697-0-95220100-1478745970_thumb.jpeg

post-24697-0-86431600-1478745981_thumb.jpeg

post-24697-0-14885700-1478746122_thumb.jpeg

post-24697-0-46694900-1478746682_thumb.jpg

Some eels at the place we stayed and the view from the room. (We both like morning swims so we do that when ever we stay across the road from the sea.)

post-24697-0-69174400-1478746750_thumb.jpeg

post-24697-0-11236200-1478746783_thumb.jpeg

Have I mentioned that we basically never drive past a pub without having a beer.... :blush:

post-24697-0-14746800-1478746862_thumb.jpg

Then I guess the 2nd biggest thing the last couple of weeks was that I was taken out by a car that jumped a roundabout...she apparently didn't see me because her window was fogged up (she drove into my left side mostly on the back wheel making me skid into the other side of the road). Luckily the road wasn't busy, it was about 6:30am on my way to work. My max heartrate was only 179bpm at impact. Back wheel needed fixing and I just had bruising and a bit of skin off on my rights side. Sore body but I think my confidence got the biggest knock. I got back to commuting a week later though and now back in full swing I will say (not confident with the horrible gusts we have been having though).

post-24697-0-06317400-1478746339_thumb.jpg

The last weekend I took that kiwi bloke wakeboarding on the Waikato river. We did a beer stop down the river of course  :blush: I mist say steering a boat, taking pictures of a wake boarder going side to side and making sure the depth of where you are going in a river you have never been on is quite tricky...

post-24697-0-53193200-1478746660_thumb.jpg

I also got to make a trip down to Rotorua with the bike (and went for a solo road ride around Taupo Lake). I loved Rotorua so much that I'll be riding there in 2 weeks again and another trip planned the 2nd weekend of December where a group of us will have sole use of the shuttle bus :clap:  :thumbup:

post-24697-0-21736300-1478747268_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-13013400-1478747282_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-81668200-1478747301_thumb.jpg

Settling into NZ with plants going eventually (tomato mainly)....pic is taken weeks ago so they are much bigger now (they are planted on the farm). Also getting nicely settled into the kitchen here; nice pies made, banana breads etc

post-24697-0-98344400-1478747581_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-12075400-1478747807_thumb.jpg

Then news from home....building is going up nice a fast. I predict another 8 weeks and roof will be up and maybe windows in too.

post-24697-0-61958700-1478747557_thumb.jpg

This weekend we are off to "Mum and Dad" again in Whitianga. I am taking the road bike as I am very far behind in prepping for the Around The Lake race in 2 weeks :mellow:  :eek:  :wacko: ... Luckily I will have Wayne pull me over the last hill :thumbup:

Loving the road trips!

post-24697-0-72481500-1478748528_thumb.jpg

I honestly can not see myself living anywhere else in the world at this moment. I am really loving it. Yes I have had my downs, but I can say those are days I have either not ridden my bike in 2 days or when I have just gotten overwhelmed by the change of all things at one time (work, life, family things back home, relationship, day2day planning etc)

Come on tell us the real test........

Has he successfully passed the  choc sterie stumpie test yet?

Stoked to 'see' you're settling in proper that side! The pics are super rad!

Edited by Tubehunter

All good up here in Auckland, although apparently some people did feel it. We have a cautious warning to stay off the water here, although I doubt we'd see any tsunami activity.

Reports of some deaths already on the South Island, and probably some significant damage.

The small North Canterbury township of Waiau is feared to be worst hit following the 7.5 magnitude earthquake in the early hours of this morning.

Power is out and phone lines are down but the potted information coming into Cheviot police and fire is that it has received widespread damage. The violent shaking ripped open the roads and badly damaged the main bridge, which as reportedly sunk by as much as 400mm.

There are reports of casualties in Kaikoura but details are yet to be confirmed. St John is sending its command unit towards Kaikoura and additional paramedics tare being flown to Hanmer Springs and Kaikoura by rescue helicopter as a precautionary measure.

Wellington has also suffered damage with windows being smashed, cracks appearing in walls of apartments and issues at the Ports. Logs can be seen strewn around the port area in and there are reports of some damage to terminals.

Shipping workers were forced to flee the Kings Wharf freight shipping terminal in Wellington, after cracks began appearing and water spurting from beneath them.

Several major highways are closed following the quakes. New Zealand Transport Agency regional performance manager Mark Owen said State HIghway 1 between Picton and Waipara, north of Christchurch, was closed.

SH7 from Waipara to Springs Junction and SH7A, the road to Hanmer Springs from SH7, were closed. The inland road from Kaikoura to Waiau was also closed, but highways in Nelson, Tasman and Wellington were all open.

There had been damage bridges and roads, with cracks reported, but more would not be known until first light.

There have been more than 100 aftershocks and a tsunami warning remains in place for many parts of the east coast where waves of up to 5m are possible.

Still loads of aftershocks happening - https://www.geonet.org.nz/quakes/felt

Terrible news here in Christchurch...

Despite being the closest city to the quake... I still have to go to work today!

Jokes aside, I was awake when the quake hit (just got home from hanging out with other Saffers). Stood in a door frame like I think one is supposed to

I live up on a big hill, in a post big quake house, so I think it was less severe. It lasted about 30 seconds. Almost like standing on a flight during mild turbulence. I felt a number of the aftershocks as I lay in bed. But really didn't feel that bad.

Chch seems to be business as usual today.

Terrible news here in Christchurch...

Despite being the closest city to the quake... I still have to go to work today!

Jokes aside, I was awake when the quake hit (just got home from hanging out with other Saffers). Stood in a door frame like I think one is supposed to

I live up on a big hill, in a post big quake house, so I think it was less severe. It lasted about 30 seconds. Almost like standing on a flight during mild turbulence. I felt a number of the aftershocks as I lay in bed. But really didn't feel that bad.

Chch seems to be business as usual today.

I have been waiting for you to check in.

Glad you safe.

Near Kaikoura

http://www.interest.co.nz/sites/default/files/styles/full_width/public/embedded_images/slips.jpg?itok=VE0RpZPf

http://www.interest.co.nz/sites/default/files/styles/full_width/public/embedded_images/stuartsmithmp.jpg?itok=oaqiz8Cj

In Wellington

http://www.interest.co.nz/sites/default/files/styles/full_width/public/embedded_images/portdamageisaacdavidson.jpg?itok=QGigY5nT

The Christchurch Adventure Park is scheduled to open on 16th December 2016

Early bird passes I think are sold out already.

They were $760, and valid give one access from 16/12/2016 - 23/09/2017

Worthwhile for those living in Chch who would use the park weekly.

I considered it as I'm 5 - 10min drive from the park, but will probably go check out the park first.

Plus I have been spending way more time on my other #enduro bike lately  :ph34r:

Near Kaikoura

http://www.interest.co.nz/sites/default/files/styles/full_width/public/embedded_images/slips.jpg?itok=VE0RpZPf

http://www.interest.co.nz/sites/default/files/styles/full_width/public/embedded_images/stuartsmithmp.jpg?itok=oaqiz8Cj

In Wellington

http://www.interest.co.nz/sites/default/files/styles/full_width/public/embedded_images/portdamageisaacdavidson.jpg?itok=QGigY5nT

Jeez that's a proper stuff up.

Relieved that casualties are minimal, although that is scant comfort to the families of the 2 confirmed dead.

Stay safe folks.

I just checked. the house is 178m above sea level, and 4.25km inland (as the crow flies), with some decent ,hills acting as shields. I think I'm safe from potential tsunamis.

I do feel unsafe at work though, so think I need to go home, hahahaha