Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Have my medical aid with discovery and my life insurance with momentum. Had both vitality and multiply. Dumped vitality. Not saying there is anything wrong with it but for me I made a lot more use from multiply. Multiply suits my lifestyle a lot more.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have my medical aid with discovery and my life insurance with momentum. Had both vitality and multiply. Dumped vitality. Not saying there is anything wrong with it but for me I made a lot more use from multiply. Multiply suits my lifestyle a lot more.

What level are you on Multiply? Have you requested your life premiums to be adjusted downwards? Private Club members get I think 60% reduction on their premiums. May have changed recently ,but that's at last assessment. 

But do Multiply have a tent at the venue wit free samies, chocolate milk etc, not to speak of the comfortable chairs, fan and "no-queue" massage?

Myles, can someone join vitality if they have no other products with Discovery? My friends who are currently with Mutiply want to join vitality.

I do, and would, but my faculties aren't 100% here at the moment. I'm on a course of codeine and anti inflammatories after my crash on friday. 

Have a look at the Team Vitality thread. Lots of useful info there. 

Joining fee for gym is i thin R 1,260 then you pay R 130 for the card. "Up to" means that if you go to gym 36 or more times per rolling 12 months, your discount is 80% (moves to 75% next year) and if you go less than 36 times per year it moves to 50% discount (this is for a single gym membership)

Next year you can get up to 100% off a single gym membership based on various things like activity, vitality status etc. So it becomes far more of a value proposition.

The discounts on fitness watches through the SW etc are maxed at 25% or R 500 per quarter (for a single member) and R 1,000 per quarter (for a family) so it is not the WHOLE cost that gets discounted. Some have been lucky and received 25% discount on the whole cost of the item, but I think that loophole has closed.

Healthy Food - 25% off at WW OR PnP, IF you do the health checks @ clicks / dischem and fitness assessment through a biokeniticist at VA or one of the Vitality Labs. If not, you get 10% off until you do those. Same with the SW discounts (HealthyGear, they call it)

Other benefits - up to 100% off flights with Kulula (excl taxes) from next year, travel discounts and and and... 

I'll post more when I can. 

Oh. Also. Next year it's going to be easier to get points through exercises that aren't registered with SA Active or are a nationally recognised thing with a timing chip. IE: where currently there is a max of 200 points for any activity recorded through a garmin / fitbit / polar etc with HR data, next year it will increase and will be awarded according to the duration and intensity of the exercise. As long as you record HR data... 

It's per month not quarter according to the website and my personal experience?

My 2c, if you work the system (must have a discovery credit card) you can really benefit from Vitality. Between the cash back from Healthy Food, Healthy Gear, Retail partners and Discovery miles (particularly multiplier effect from your vitality status) you should be getting pretty close to R10k a year back and that's not counting in the gym membership discount. I see that as about half the cost of my monthly premiums for the year.

Get to Gold status as soon as possible. It can be achieved in two months so do it at the start of the year and then you don't have to worry about it.

It's per month not quarter according to the website and my personal experience?

My 2c, if you work the system (must have a discovery credit card) you can really benefit from Vitality. Between the cash back from Healthy Food, Healthy Gear, Retail partners and Discovery miles (particularly multiplier effect from your vitality status) you should be getting pretty close to R10k a year back and that's not counting in the gym membership discount. I see that as about half the cost of my monthly premiums for the year.

Get to Gold status as soon as possible. It can be achieved in two months so do it at the start of the year and then you don't have to worry about it.

Sorry. Yes. Codeine

But do Multiply have a tent at the venue wit free samies, chocolate milk etc, not to speak of the comfortable chairs, fan and "no-queue" massage?

Myles, can someone join vitality if they have no other products with Discovery? My friends who are currently with Mutiply want to join vitality.

Nope. Need either health or life cover over a certain premium

If you are going to subscribe to Vitality you need to embrace it and integrate it intl all of the Discovery products that you have so that it works for you other wise it will be a case of "This Vitality cost me RX per month and it's shyte because I don't get any discount and it's impossible to get to gold etc etc etc..."

At the moment we have Medical Aid, short and long term insurance and we have Vitality working for all of them. Current status is Diamond.

Benefits include all the discounts listed on the site as well as the life insurance benefits and the fuel rewards etc.

My average cash back benefit is around R500 monthly and we earn around 1000 miles a month using the Discovery Credit Card at participating merchants.

I moaned about it for years until my broker explained the benefits and how easy the goals were to achieve. Now all the products are integrated and it is working exceptionally well.

Correct, if you are a Team Vitality member (running or cycling)

Ja - nothing yet hey.

And I can't find anything on their website which links to a statement to see what they have and haven't paid for.....

What level are you on Multiply? Have you requested your life premiums to be adjusted downwards? Private Club members get I think 60% reduction on their premiums. May have changed recently ,but that's at last assessment. 

Yes im on private club and yes I get very decent reductions on my premiums. Not sure what percentage it is though. I get A LOT back on my smart shopper card and I get a BIG discount on takealot(where I do a lot of my shopping)

LOL im not sure. My day yesterday went like this: started at 05h40, Did the race in 2hr27min, waited a bit for my toppie who started at 06h11. Went to the car, got changed/packed up and was home by 10h00 having a swim with the braai going. Didn't bother finding out about any free stuff.

Just delink and then relink.

Mine does not allow me to open that page anymore, now it just says technical issue and loads broken page :(

easiest thing is to mail them at vitalityinfo@discovery.co.za

they're pretty busy at the moment, but if anything they;ll retrospectively allocate teh points for you if you're still having trouble after tomorrow midnight (which is the cutoff for last week's activities to be synced)