Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Tried to claim my "competition" points for the CTCT Mtb race, it's not even on their list of the events. Wonder if the CTCT Road race is?

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried to claim my "competition" points for the CTCT Mtb race, it's not even on their list of the events. Wonder if the CTCT Road race is?

Sure you've got the date correct? Its actually listed twice. 

What's the Thoughts on these New Vitality Rewards points taking affect 2 April?

A lot of Cyclists seem to think its all fair...

As Runners not so Much..  To start I haven't bought the watch, I have a national Virgin membership so get no benefits there...  and even though I do take advantage of my 2 smoothies a week it isn't the be all and end all.... however the Free flights were looking appealing. And obviously staying on Diamond is a Must so I need my 90 000.

I'm a pretty Decent Runner training for a Silver Comrades, i'm fit and have a very Low HR... Not blowing my own trumpet but setting the scene..

My Current Vitality Goal is the soft max at 1200 and has been from day 1.

Lets take a Hard weeks training in April.. based on the fact I run 6 days a week, 2 at High Intensity and 4 at lower intensity...

New Points HR value takes Moderate from 70-79% and Vigorous from 80% +

I'm 38 so my Moderate is 126+ and Vigorous 146+

Monday - 12kms - approx. 56 mins - 4.40 per km - +- 128 HR  - Moderate  - 100 Points

Tuesday - 15kms with Track/Intervals etc  -63 mins -  4.10 per km +- 140HR with rests - 100 Points

Wednesday - Midweek Long Run 22kms - 1h40 - 4.45 per k - 128HR - 300 Points

Thursday - 15kms with Hills - 67 mins - 4.30 per km - 140 HR with Rest - 100 Points

Friday Rest

Saturday - 15 km Easy - 5 min per km - 75mins - 123 HR - 100 Points (not for the 15km run as its below moderate so just for the 10 000 steps)

Sunday - 35-40km Long Run - 4.45 per km - 133 HR - 300 Points

So that's a 119km running Week, pretty solid - 1000 Points???? I'm on the hub strava group so you can check that's about a normal week at normal paces and HR readings..

Even if I do my Gym at Virgin on my Rest Day ill get an extra 100 - still not there.

No Smoothie, No target , No Reward..

How is this fair when other people only have to swipe their card at a Gym to get the same 100 points I will get for a 15km run at 4.30 per km??

If I change my intensities to get over the 146HR or increase any of my midweek runs to get over 90mins this will play havoc with my base Training and is obviously not worth wrecking your Comrades fro a few smoothies..

Only way I see around this is making sure you do a Road race at least once a week for the Bigger event Points...

What's your thoughts once you have done the Math... Sorry for the long winded write up..

Maybe at least they should go back to different points allocation for Riding and Running as its a lot easier to ride 90 mins than run 90mins, although its still a lot harder to get your HR to 80% on the bike in my opinion..

Edited by Ferret69

Dear  Julian Anthony

At Vitality, we are committed to
encouraging you to get more active. It is with this in mind that we announce the following updates to the Vitality programme.

Vitality Active Rewards enhancements

We launched Vitality Active Rewards in September 2015. With over 160 000 members activated and engaged in getting active to earn weekly smoothies and coffees, it has been Vitality's most successful benefit to date. Early data shows an average increase in physical activity of 21% among members.

Vitality Active Rewards with Apple Watch became available in December 2015 where you can get an Apple Watch and use your weekly fitness goals achievements to help fully fund it. Members who have purchased an Apple Watch have doubled their physical activity compared to prior levels.

In addition, we launched the Gym Booster benefit in January, so you could earn additional cash back on your gym membership fees.

You can also look forward to
new and exciting additions to the Vitality Active Rewards programme later this year, including up to 100% off local flights (base fare) and enhanced rewards for you and your friends on Vitality Active Rewards.

If you haven't already signed up for Vitality Active Rewards, find out more about it here.

Vitality fitness points updates

Discovery's research shows that one additional workout per week reduces your risk of hospitalisation by 7%. The foundation of the Vitality Active Rewards programme is therefore accurate, measurable and clinically valid physical activity data. The problem with unverified physical activity is that it rewards incorrect behaviour and ultimately, people end up cheating themselves.

Based on this, in order to minimise the potential for gaming and abuse which is occurring through the use of unverified physical activity, refinements will be made to how you can earn Vitality points. These revisions include the Vitality race events we recognise, as well as the Vitality linked fitness devices and apps you can use to track your daily activity, with an emphasis on verified physical activity and improved data accuracy to support this.

These Vitality points updates will come into effect from 2 April 2016.

Click to see how you can earn Vitality fitness points

Support

For any queries related to fitness devices, apps and achieving Vitality fitness points, you can visit our Vitality Support page. You can also view your own personalised Vitality Dashboard and get a snapshot of your current Vitality Status, Points and Benefits.

Get active. Get rewarded.

Regards

shrey(1).png
Dr Shrey Viranna

Chief Executive Officer
Discovery Vitality

What's the Thoughts on these New Vitality Rewards points taking affect 2 April?

A lot of Cyclists seem to think its all fair...

As Runners not so Much..  To start I haven't bought the watch, I have a national Virgin membership so get no benefits there...  and even though I do take advantage of my 2 smoothies a week it isn't the be all and end all.... however the Free flights were looking appealing. And obviously staying on Diamond is a Must so I need my 90 000.

I'm a pretty Decent Runner training for a Silver Comrades, i'm fit and have a very Low HR... Not blowing my own trumpet but setting the scene..

My Current Vitality Goal is the soft max at 1200 and has been from day 1.

Lets take a Hard weeks training in April.. based on the fact I run 6 days a week, 2 at High Intensity and 4 at lower intensity...

New Points HR value takes Moderate from 70-79% and Vigorous from 80% +

I'm 38 so my Moderate is 126+ and Vigorous 146+

Monday - 12kms - approx. 56 mins - 4.40 per km - +- 128 HR  - Moderate  - 100 Points

Tuesday - 15kms with Track/Intervals etc  -63 mins -  4.10 per km +- 140HR with rests - 100 Points

Wednesday - Midweek Long Run 22kms - 1h40 - 4.45 per k - 128HR - 300 Points

Thursday - 15kms with Hills - 67 mins - 4.30 per km - 140 HR with Rest - 100 Points

Friday Rest

Saturday - 15 km Easy - 5 min per km - 75mins - 123 HR - 100 Points (not for the 15km run as its below moderate so just for the 10 000 steps)

Sunday - 35-40km Long Run - 4.45 per km - 133 HR - 300 Points

So that's a 119km running Week, pretty solid - 1000 Points???? I'm on the hub strava group so you can check that's about a normal week at normal paces and HR readings..

Even if I do my Gym at Virgin on my Rest Day ill get an extra 100 - still not there.

No Smoothie, No target , No Reward..

How is this fair when other people only have to swipe their card at a Gym to get the same 100 points I will get for a 15km run at 4.30 per km??

If I change my intensities to get over the 146HR or increase any of my midweek runs to get over 90mins this will play havoc with my base Training and is obviously not worth wrecking your Comrades fro a few smoothies..

Only way I see around this is making sure you do a Road race at least once a week for the Bigger event Points...

What's your thoughts once you have done the Math... Sorry for the long winded write up..

Maybe at least they should go back to different points allocation for Riding and Running as its a lot easier to ride 90 mins than run 90mins, although its still a lot harder to get your HR to 80% on the bike in my opinion..

You missed the bit where they said they're going to reduce the points target for members who are at the upper limits currently, to help smooth the transition between different points allocations.

But yes - you're right on the running thing. And it's something that I've raised. Also I think the HR % zones are a bit silly... Especially considering your and Scott's cases where the majority will be at moderate levels. 

Sure you've got the date correct? Its actually listed twice. 

28 Feb 2016

Will try again later.

Just checking out the new points system.. This new system is ridiculous! Discovery is screwing a lot of people especially the ones that took the apple watch! But i guess if you are loosing money because of your own incompetence you can do what you want..    

Edited by Bassman

You missed the bit where they said they're going to reduce the points target for members who are at the upper limits currently, to help smooth the transition between different points allocations.

But yes - you're right on the running thing. And it's something that I've raised. Also I think the HR % zones are a bit silly... Especially considering your and Scott's cases where the majority will be at moderate levels. 

Thanks Myles, I did see that fine print about possibly adjusting targets where need be..

But do you think this will really happen? I had many friends ask me about the Apple watch and that it was essentially free? and that the soft target would never go past 1200 so it would be easy..

I always said there would be a catch and they wouldn't give away that many free watches..

Well they haven't Moved the Goal Posts but made the field about 8x Longer...

I may be wrong and maybe they will cut my target in half, but I'm not holding my breath just yet.

Edited by Ferret69

Thanks Myles, I did see that fine print about possibly adjusting targets where need be..

But do you think this will really happen? I had many friends ask me about the Apple watch and that it was essentially free? and that the soft target would never go past 1200 so it would be easy..

I always said there would be a catch and they wouldn't give away that many free watches..

Well they haven't Moved the Goal Posts but made the field about 8x Longer...

I may be wrong and maybe they will cut my target in half, but I'm not holding my breath just yet.

yes, it will happen. They have always said that the metrics wrt eercise were liable to change, but the soft cap wasn't. Their points targets, however (not the cap) will be reduced as they said. 

Seems I need to make a correction to my earlier post / comment.

Any ride under 70% of max gets you exactly ZERO points.

So a 3 - 4 hour base ride will be worth 0 points, same as sitting on the couch watching TV.

Pretty sure they going to move the goal posts again and again and again.

Miles, I don't go to the gym at all. I only cycle, do you think it is worth my while registering for the Vitality Active Rewards?

Have just coma across this now:

Effective from 2 April, Discovery will delist adidas miCoach, Moves, RunKeeper, Strava, MapMyFitness and Timex as recognised apps or devices, and members will no longer receive points if they track their activity with them.

the full article here:

http://www.htxt.co.za/2016/03/02/discovery-vitality-drops-strava-runkeeper-and-mapmyfitness-from-active-rewards/

thats a problem for me as i use Strava for all my activities, i do make use of my polar heart rate strap with it but that doesnt help if its not recognized.

Edited by Cruz addict

Seems I need to make a correction to my earlier post / comment.

Any ride under 70% of max gets you exactly ZERO points.

So a 3 - 4 hour base ride will be worth 0 points, same as sitting on the couch watching TV.

Pretty sure they going to move the goal posts again and again and again.

Exactly, but some Overweight Character can walk in the gym to swipe their card to get a smoothie and get 100 Points..

Same with a 3hr Base Run... 34kms, 0 Points but at least we will get 100 Points for the 10 000+ steps.

Absolute BS wherever they put your new target