Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

No, I go to gym (and actually train there) a few times a week and with my weekend rides I get points so I'm more than ok. The problem lies with people who don't like gym and train via HR. we all know that training for extensive periods at 80% max HR is not easy when you're fit. So the people actually putting in the real work aren't benefiting from what I see.

You don't need to train for extensive periods. Just 30 min at 80% will give you 300 points. That's far from extensive and should be easy for pretty much anyone.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need to train for extensive periods. Just 30 min at 80% will give you 300 points. That's far from extensive and should be easy for pretty much anyone.

not points related, but does 2 gym visits a day count as 2 towards your total or do the only still  take it as 1 a day ?

Um,no. Not that easy for some of us on heart meds. The absolute highest I can go is 70% of age related max. This means all HR targets don't work for me. The best I can get on the new scheme is distance/speed targets or events.

Um,no. Not that easy for some of us on heart meds. The absolute highest I can go is 70% of age related max. This means all HR targets don't work for me. The best I can get on the new scheme is distance/speed targets or events.

"Pretty much anyone"

Not "everyone"

There's a difference. And yes, I acknowledge that some people it may be dangerous to go by the 220-age. But again, it's appropriate for the vast majority of their target market

"Pretty much anyone"

Not "everyone"

There's a difference. And yes, I acknowledge that some people it may be dangerous to go by the 220-age. But again, it's appropriate for the vast majority of their target market

"Pretty much anyone"

Not "everyone"

Hmmm?

anyone else that cant log into garmin connect?

Was an issue on the weekend and did take me 3 attemps this evening to sync my fenix 3 workout... so maybe there is an issue again

GC has been abit unstable in recent weeks, and some delay to sync between Disco and Strava but it eventually send the data across on its own.

Hmmm?

Sorry for that, I was using the pohone and battling with the interface.

Myles, I did see your comment of "Pretty much anyone", I was just pointing out (maybe badly) who some of us are who can't do 80% for 30 mins.

Which brings me to the point of Discovery's use of the 220-age formula for max HR. Firstly, if you go into the history of it, it does not have a very good basis - see http://www.cyclingfusion.com/pdf/220-Age-Origins-Problems.pdf for a good summary. Secondly, it is only an estimate - fitness level, gender, weight, health, medication, and lots of other factors all affect your max HR in addition to your age. Thirdly, it is only an estimate and has a margin of error, possibly as high as 10% (either way) according to some authors. A lot of people seem to feel that a better formula is 208 - 0.7*age. 

That being said I can see why Discovery would want to use a formula, it's simple and cheap. But it would be great if they allowed exceptions.

Sorry for that, I was using the pohone and battling with the interface.

Myles, I did see your comment of "Pretty much anyone", I was just pointing out (maybe badly) who some of us are who can't do 80% for 30 mins.

Which brings me to the point of Discovery's use of the 220-age formula for max HR. Firstly, if you go into the history of it, it does not have a very good basis - see http://www.cyclingfusion.com/pdf/220-Age-Origins-Problems.pdf for a good summary. Secondly, it is only an estimate - fitness level, gender, weight, health, medication, and lots of other factors all affect your max HR in addition to your age. Thirdly, it is only an estimate and has a margin of error, possibly as high as 10% (either way) according to some authors. A lot of people seem to feel that a better formula is 208 - 0.7*age. 

That being said I can see why Discovery would want to use a formula, it's simple and cheap. But it would be great if they allowed exceptions.

Much like their points awarded for being inside the correct BMI range.

A very basic formula that doesn't take all factors into consideration, thus excluding a lot of people.

I bitched and moaned about having to wear my heart rate monitor, which I still hate, but after 1 ride I got 1500 points. I reckon the only people now who should have a beef are those who have never gone to gym and who now need to purchase a HR monitor, or those who go to gym and who's weekly points have risen to more than 700. Otherwise the solution seems really easy.

I hereby retract my objections, m'lady

I bitched and moaned about having to wear my heart rate monitor, which I still hate, but after 1 ride I got 1500 points. I reckon the only people now who should have a beef are those who have never gone to gym and who now need to purchase a HR monitor, or those who go to gym and who's weekly points have risen to more than 700. Otherwise the solution seems really easy.

I hereby retract my objections, m'lady

Seems like max points at this stage is 400 

Seems like max points at this stage is 400

Yes, I meant the complaint would only arise when they could not get more than 700 pts in 7 days from gym