Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

And I gain hugely, due to my HR going much higher than what the age based formula suggests. My Max HR according to the 220-age thing should be 169bpm. That is not the case, as I comfortably averages that on most rides, nevermind races.

So basicaly even a recovery ride can net me the max points.

I'm not complaining, just saying... :whistling:

Same

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How hard would it be for Discovery to personalise your max HR based on the data they already have? A simple formula that looks at the past six months activities and taking the max HR recorded? Within a threshold or the 220 minus your age gets used.

My age max is 180, and I recorded 188 at the USN Trailseeker a few weekends back.

People on this thread who keep on telling us to stop complaining are looking at it wrong. Perhaps have the view that Discovery have clearly found a gem here which seriously attracts attention and people WANT to participate. Our "feedback" can be viewed as valuable or as complaining. I'll let you decide which one will lead to long term business success with the Vitality product and Discovery.

How hard would it be for Discovery to personalise your max HR based on the data they already have? A simple formula that looks at the past six months activities and taking the max HR recorded? Within a threshold or the 220 minus your age gets used.

In general it would work. But some straps are notorious to temporarily funk out and spike with static, electrical cables or when the batteries are about to die. Then you sit with a max HR of 240... (or whatever) 

This new system is also (technically) open to abuse too...

In order to get 300 points, 80% for 30 minutes is fairly easy for me, but a little harder for the wife. No matter what she does she just cannot get her average HR above 73% of the Disco max, and she can't maintain the 73% for more than 90 mins.

However, here's the technical abuse - put her on the (MTB) tandem with me, I can get her to work as hard as she needs to for 35 mins, then stop the workout. Ka-ching... 300 points. We can then both continue riding and enjoy the ride at any pace that suits her. Sure, it stuffs up my training but I'm adapting to it too.

I've had the tandem for 3 years but it sat gathering dust for almost 2 years. Thanks to the Vitality Rewards it's sparked an interest in her to ride with me. No racing, no arguing - if I have to do ALL the work, then so be it... we're both happy.

If you want to cheat the system you'll find a way.

I have a faulty HR strap that reads a HR of around 220 when I'm doing nothing.

Can put it on for 30min watch TV and Kaching... POINTS.

Vitality have gone from 1 extreme to the other.

They'll need to find a happy medium.

You cannot get a peanut butter bomb using rewards any more

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

<oops!>!

I got one yesterday evening after my gym session

In general it would work. But some straps are notorious to temporarily funk out and spike with static, electrical cables or when the batteries are about to die. Then you sit with a max HR of 240... (or whatever)

That is why I said "within a threshold" 220 minus your age with a % acceptable variance up or down.

Spikes are easy to pick up. So are faulty HR straps that flatline at 220 all day.

Discovery have the data. Something tells me they don't know how to best use it yet though. Analysing BigData is not easy. But don't punish me while you figure it out. Trust me, if they held the system as it was, where do you think the pressure should have been to resolve? Too easy now for corporates to put the pressure on the CUSTOMER.

And they need to allow for active recovery and rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

got one this morning

got one this morning

Seems I'm being robbed. I was told that it is no longer available for reward based on the price increase. Had to settle for a peanut butter blast or whatever it is. Sucked.

You would be surprised what lengths people would go to to get a financial gain...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Which is why we regularly have doping threads here at the hub. Just look at the Brandon Stewart one, last time I looked it was 68 pages.

And the guy who never doped and won R100k on Swartburg Pass. He never doped because some old koot threatened to sue anyone who said he did,

Known problem.  The manufacturers have worked around the problem (polar, garmin, goldencheetah,...)  There are cut-outs (0 for a bit, depending on hardware), drops (wrist based HR monitor), recording hicups (1 sec vs. "smart" recording)

Now Discovery is re-discovering that it ain't so easy.  Again.  In IT it's called NIH-syndrome (Not Invented Here.)

But really the 220-max is laughable.  They desperately need a sport scientist or cardiologist.

Personally, I don't care.  It didn't work two years ago (livingvitality).  It doesn't work now.  It didn't matter two years ago.  It doesn't matter now.