Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Will let you know....I have my old hand already....but let me come up with a few ideas.....

is he a low Rev by any chance?

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will let you know....I have my old hand already....but let me come up with a few ideas.....

I'm also willing to share data, but I'm just a normal average Jane who revs average. 

Edited by Carpet

Well done Meezo. New comment of the thread?

And to think Google was advocated for experts...

i was sitting in here long, just read the comments, definitely got my HR up from reading them,

i'm on the complete opposite side of the fence though, to me the free smoothie/coffee/frio is a saving towards paying vitality, so R60x4 for the month makes my vitality almost free

as for training and all those bleh bleh, its entertaining to say the last...

COMMUTING FTW

photo-thumb-19822.jpg?_r=1381420326 Posted by Furbz on Yesterday, 15:16 in Training, Health & Nutrition

anyone put the apple watch on a avo yet?

legit it reads a heart rate. 

- also tried it on a green apple and got a pulse.

anyone able to explain this??

Why don't you go ask Apple about this and share the answers with everyone else that's curious to know.

Vivek...just as a matter of interest.....I would be very keen to see how much warm up and cool down you allow per session......I would also love to have two different athletes in my lab.....a high revver and a low revver......it would be very interesting to see the distances achieved as well as the actual power output over let's say an hour period......this would be even better if we could take an old hand and a newer athlete to the sport and make those comparisons....I think you may have a high revving engine.....not everyone has a big revving engine like that.....read up on a condition called Bradycardia....some people perhaps many have a mild form of this....for them to reach the targets as laid out would be very difficult to achieve.....what Discovery really need to do to make it feasible for all is build a profile around each and every individual and set their targets and goals accordingly.....

If I was in JHB I would have taken part in your test....

Usually no warm up as I have to take on hills just 1km from home. Now that its cooler, I spend about 10mins on the trainer before I get out and then another 10-15 minutes once back home.

My heart revs like a N/A car without the VTEC.

Why don't you go ask Apple about this and share the answers with everyone else that's curious to know.

Nah, it's more fun giggling about it and showing your friends when they come visit...

I do not have an apple device.....but if you are quoting Furbz then go back and quote it correctly.....also I left a few link earlier.....Apple seem pretty steadfast their unit is solid......

If I was in JHB I would have taken part in your test....

Usually no warm up as I have to take on hills just 1km from home. Now that its cooler, I spend about 10mins on the trainer before I get out and then another 10-15 minutes once back home.

My heart revs like a N/A car without the VTEC.

Only Sky think they are allowed to do this.

My week so far. ...

• 3000 points were for a Zone 2 ride - I have a naturally / unnaturally high heart rate *Edit* included 20min Z4
  • 600 points for 2 hour Z2 run
  • 100 points for a 90min swim  :thumbdown:

My biggest gripe about this whole debacle is that I was looking forward to reduced air fares, I don't think that is going to happen EVER

The gym rebate is also a farce because most working people need to have the country-wide membership so they can train both close to the office or close to home, so I miss out on that one

The free smoothies and coffees are a plus but I hardly get to use them all.

post-17303-0-68146300-1464080543_thumb.png

Edited by mtbgirlz

Okay so I have been through the last couple of pages of the thread anf here is my question, I can see that Discovery have drastically altered the vitality rewards for activities, where a 3 hour club ride at steady pace used to earn me about 1500 vitality points I now only get 600 and the points are now based on distance rather than HR. Is there anywhere that I can find a layout of old rewards structure vs new structure, and secondly all things considered, is the watch deal worth it as I am seriously considering this option.

My week soo far for those complaining about some of us being below 700.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20160524-083446.png

Out of interest:

So on the 23rd I presume you forget the HR strap and all 4 days were rides?

What device are you using?

Distance for the week (21-27 May)?

Elevation for the week (21-27 May)?

Was it Road/gravel/IDT for the week (21-27 May)?

Time for the week (21-27 May)?

Okay so I have been through the last couple of pages of the thread anf here is my question, I can see that Discovery have drastically altered the vitality rewards for activities, where a 3 hour club ride at steady pace used to earn me about 1500 vitality points I now only get 600 and the points are now based on distance rather than HR. Is there anywhere that I can find a layout of old rewards structure vs new structure, and secondly all things considered, is the watch deal worth it as I am seriously considering this option.

If you like Apple as a brand, want to get synchronised with your device and watch, and happy to pay it off at 0% interest over 24 months (with the chance of 0 repayments each month), the the simple answer is YES!

My wife loves her watch and thanks me often enough to know that it was worth it.

Edit: the points are based on HR, not distance. A 3-hr ride to get 600 points needs to be at 80% of 220-age.

For a ride >90 minutes at 70-79% of 220-age, you will only get you 300 points.

For distance only, you will get 100 points (speed data only).

Edited by geraldm24

see answers below. and probably another indoor session tonight, and maybe a 35km/700m ride tomorrow morning. My week is then done as I'm traveling from Thursday and only back home on Saturday evening. Also not showing is a gym session from yesterday.

Out of interest:

So on the 23rd I presume you forget the HR strap and all 4 days were rides? No, it was active recovery on Idt. All 4 are rides.

What device are you using? - Garmin Edge 510

Distance for the week (21-27 May)? 157.4km

Elevation for the week (21-27 May)? 2396m

Was it Road/gravel/IDT for the week (21-27 May)? Road

Time for the week (21-27 May)? 6H37

The watch deal is linked to the Vitality Active Rewards and Discovery will penalize you by increasing your weekly points goal when you achieve your weekly targets (apparently every 12 weeks their clever system adjust it and they have it capped at 1200 points). Discovery changed the rules and T&C when they realized they didn't think this whole thing through, they even removed previously approved devices/apps. If you complain to Discovery that the watch is inaccurate/faulty/records on ave 20 HR beats per minute less compared to other professional devices while you try to reach your weekly points goal, they advise you to take it to your nearest iStore to get them to sort it out, or they "advise" you to fork out more of your hard earned cash and buy an approved fitness device. If you don't reach the weekly points goal, Discovery will start charging you for the Apple watch, so you decide if it's a good or a bad idea to allow Discovery to have a solid grip on your balls.

You are wasting your time Myles.  Been said a thousand times and yet it still does not sink in.

There are facts and then there are opinions where the facts are unknown. Just accept you have knowledge on your side and remember Samuel Clemens' best quote.

I see on the Facebook whinge page a whole massive 344 people have joined the thread dedicated to bashing Disco VAR.

Out of around, I believe, over a million Vitality members. Whoopee do.

Almost as insignificant as the 10 happy people on the Hub......whoopee do......