Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Created a new Disco GC specific account, suddenly it's auto-syncing again, d'oh!

Edit: Or not...

Edited by bertusras

Apple watch picking up my heartrate on runs again... I'll have to wait til it goes on the blink again :blink:

That after you took it in for repairs? Or just after you threw it at the wall?

So it's possible. Starbucks hasn't tempted me yet. Would rather detour to Fournos for a cup and those sweet Greek things. Can anyone give me one good reason why I should try out Starbucks, other than to say I have?

NO reason to try them out, IMHO I prefer Seattle, Starbucks was like having a wimpy cappuccino 

Strangely since the talk of faulty heartrate, my last 2 exercises have also now had my heartrate drop while exercising. Before that I've had no issues. 

I wonder if the recent update has anything to do with this but regardless I'm going to miss my goal this week because of it.

I played a game of footy on saturday for an hour. Ran completely flat out for that hour and my average heart rate was 80bpm. This morning went for a cycle completely flat out and my average heart rate only 142 which is under the 80%. I've looked at the graph and there's definite droppages right down 70bpm while climbing.

Strangely since the talk of faulty heartrate, my last 2 exercises have also now had my heartrate drop while exercising. Before that I've had no issues. 

I wonder if the recent update has anything to do with this but regardless I'm going to miss my goal this week because of it.

I played a game of footy on saturday for an hour. Ran completely flat out for that hour and my average heart rate was 80bpm. This morning went for a cycle completely flat out and my average heart rate only 142 which is under the 80%. I've looked at the graph and there's definite droppages right down 70bpm while climbing.

I think like my squash experience, football probably has the same issue... the watch struggles during "rigorous" exercise...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/10/23/apple-watch-users-complain-of-inaccurate-heart-rate-readings

While not yet classified, or acknowledged, as a widespread problem, several Apple Watch owners have observed inaccurate heart rate measurements while participating in high-impact exercises. A thread on Apple's Support Communities forum has received more than 3,000 views and 17 replies, and nearly a dozen threads on the issue have been started on reddit

In some cases, Apple Watch returns inconsistent heart rate data during workouts such as P90X or CrossFit, though more troubling are complaints concerning exercises endorsed by Apple's own Workout app, including running and outdoor walking. Multiple owners claim Watch readings are often much lower than expected after intense workouts. For example, one user on reddit says his Watch displays a resting heart rate in the range of 60 to 80 beats per minute during strenuous sessions which should register above 140 bpm.

I think like my squash experience, football probably has the same issue... the watch struggles during "rigorous" exercise...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/10/23/apple-watch-users-complain-of-inaccurate-heart-rate-readings

While not yet classified, or acknowledged, as a widespread problem, several Apple Watch owners have observed inaccurate heart rate measurements while participating in high-impact exercises. A thread on Apple's Support Communities forum has received more than 3,000 views and 17 replies, and nearly a dozen threads on the issue have been started on reddit

In some cases, Apple Watch returns inconsistent heart rate data during workouts such as P90X or CrossFit, though more troubling are complaints concerning exercises endorsed by Apple's own Workout app, including running and outdoor walking. Multiple owners claim Watch readings are often much lower than expected after intense workouts. For example, one user on reddit says his Watch displays a resting heart rate in the range of 60 to 80 beats per minute during strenuous sessions which should register above 140 bpm.

I haven't really picked up any issues until the update.

I expect my heartrate to be lower than cycling because when you play football, there's always a bit of recovery time while you're playing compared to cycling where you are constantly exercising.

These are my average heart rates for football starting with my latest exercise:

83bpm

119bpm

128bpm

126bpm

115bpm

109bpm

108bpm

The 83 is completely out and if I look back, I actually think i worked harder for that particular exercise.

I haven't really picked up any issues until the update.

I expect my heartrate to be lower than cycling because when you play football, there's always a bit of recovery time while you're playing compared to cycling where you are constantly exercising.

These are my average heart rates for football starting with my latest exercise:

83bpm

119bpm

128bpm

126bpm

115bpm

109bpm

108bpm

The 83 is completely out and if I look back, I actually think i worked harder for that particular exercise.

My last 4 squash sessions...

108bpm

86bpm

96bpm

80bpm

It's pretty high intensity, we play on average 6-8 games of doubles in 1:45 odd every Friday

Average should be around the 135bpm I would guess

NO reason to try them out, IMHO I prefer Seattle, Starbucks was like having a wimpy cappuccino 

Must say, I last had Seattle when there was one at the bike park in Bryanston. Quite good if I recall.  

Various wrist-based monitors have various problems during exercise.  One of them is that the watch bounces around if you swing your arms, and then it will underread.

The iwatch is pretty bad according to dcrainmaker, and fitbit is being sued for this.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/02/apple-watch-review.html

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/6/10724270/fitbit-lawsuit-charge-hr-surge-incomplete-heart-rate-tracking

Various wrist-based monitors have various problems during exercise.  One of them is that the watch bounces around if you swing your arms, and then it will underread.

The iwatch is pretty bad according to dcrainmaker, and fitbit is being sued for this.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/02/apple-watch-review.html

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/6/10724270/fitbit-lawsuit-charge-hr-surge-incomplete-heart-rate-tracking

Barend.....when some of us mentioned this we were being lambasted and attacked from all sides....even people going as far as to say it holds no relevance in this thread....but yes pretty much all of it in a nutshell.....Discovery did not do their homework....