Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Are you?

If so please explain how 30 minutes at 80% 4 times a week is detrimental to the human body?

Dis the Magalies Monster 40 km this weekend, Average heart rate for the 2hours 20 minutes (including 5 minutes in the starting pen as I started Strava before the time) is 90% Heart rate hit a maximum of 98% somewhere on the course. Because I am relatively fit I was fine within 10 minutes of completing the event, did not even die or anything.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you?

If so please explain how 30 minutes at 80% 4 times a week is detrimental to the human body?

I told you......you are the one person I refuse to communicate with........your highly followed poll has all the answers.......

Jip they have our nuts in a vise grip with this one! It benefits them actually, if you don't reach the goals "for some of the individuals" when they increase the goals you start paying back the money for the watch.

Your weekly fitness goals are set by us, but are personalised to you and adjust automatically based on your activity levels. Keep working towards your goal and be rewarded if you achieve it. If you don't, we start billing you for that watch....

Watch or handcuffs?

It could be interesting if everyone returned their watch.  Since Disco changed the rules, I assume this is possible.  Then Disco will have a storeroom with a few thousand watches that no-one uses that they have to pay for.

I don't think it's going to happen, but I'd pay to watch it happen.  :w00t:

Dis the Magalies Monster 40 km this weekend, Average heart rate for the 2hours 20 minutes (including 5 minutes in the starting pen as I started Strava before the time) is 90% Heart rate hit a maximum of 98% somewhere on the course. Because I am relatively fit I was fine within 10 minutes of completing the event, did not even die or anything.

But your recovery has been great hasn't it..........

On a lighter note... I see my profile photo is the same as yours, at least on Tapatalk

01aa6b7b5293890c91b3489ce0e8f437.jpg

Whaaaaaaaat......... :eek:

Watch or handcuffs?

It could be interesting if everyone returned their watch.  Since Disco changed the rules, I assume this is possible.  Then Disco will have a storeroom with a few thousand watches that no-one uses that they have to pay for.

This is interesting :

http://www.fastcompany.com/3055198/fast-feed/a-class-action-suit-claims-fitbit-devices-inaccurately-measure-heart-rate

A device that gets a heart rate from a tub of vaseline......being sold by a medical aid who claims it can be used to accurately record here rate......I would not be surprised you tun out to be right......

I told you......you are the one person I refuse to communicate with........your highly followed poll has all the answers.......

Your loss. But funnily enough I'm not even offended as I have yet to see any value in your postings. Other than amusingly offending a good few hubbers.

Your loss. But funnily enough I'm not even offended as I have yet to see any value in your postings. Other than amusingly offending a good few hubbers.

Likewise.....two losses....no real loss.....

Thanks for pointing out the T&C, admittedly I did not fully understood the part about individual points goal will be increased if you achieve your weekly goals as I never used the system before, so yes, I agree I'm at fault here.

Points goal increased for members who regularly achieve their weekly points goal and no increase for members who don't. Got it!

Problem is this:

for an active and fit individual (such as Nathrix) and most of us here, having a changing goal will inevitably become unobtainable pretty quickly.

Being fitter, it takes a lot more effort to get your heart rate up, and your recovery time (on a flat or downhill) is very quick.

Discovery only accept the AVERAGE heartrate for an entire activity, and will not accept any proof of being over 80% heartrate for 30minutes or however many minutes you are over 80%, in a 4 hour road/mtb ride. No one here will ride at 80% average for 3-4 hours. you would have to blixem it at 110-120% to make up for the flats and downhills when you spin out. And thinking of Pamela Anderson to get you HR up on the downhills wont help much either!

So if you warm up prior to a hectic interval, and the cool down afterwards correctly, you are negating the efforts of your "hectic interval" and must remain happy with scoring a massive 100 points. The same as if you merely sat and had a coffee whilst watching aerobics at the Gym.

Discovery also only accept one activity per day.

With only receiving 100 points for an activity, once the goal gets lifted to 600 or 700 points, we end up having to train 6-7 times a week, can everyone do this? 

What about recovery time, so vital to our training programs?

When the goal randomly changes to 800, we are well and truly f....d, and can start expecting the watch bill in the post.

The discovery system suits big fat lazy unfit execs whose heart-rates are crazy high and who are close to cardiac arrest the moment they roll out of bed in the morning, not those who actually give a damn about their fitness.

And we wonder why there is so much subversion and creative manipulation of the data sent to Discovery and the system as a whole...

it all just sucks as much as the watch's poor battery life... 

Edited by Li Mu Bai

Watch or handcuffs?

Handcuffs, watch is useless as a fitness tool...

I'll also pay to "watch".

http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2016/05/16/Vitality-change-pace-of-the-game

Responding, Vitality CEO Shrey Viranna said the company was engaging Elliot to help her "achieve her goals as we are inspired by her personal achievements and would not want her to lose her motivation".

If people weren't achieving the points needed for full Apple Watch subsidisation, he said, they could either cancel the Apple Watch benefit or pause their goals for a period.

In Elliot's case, having signed up for the watch just two months ago, she can get out of the deal only if she pays Vitality R6000.

But ultra-fit members' heart rates are lower during exercise.

"Elite athletes can continue to earn Vitality fitness points, but may need to change their training plan to shorter, more frequent, higher-intensity workouts," Viranna said.

Watch or handcuffs?

Nope, Discovery wont take back any watches.

Discovery say the contract is with the user and APPLE, not them.

Discovery are merely facilitating a process.

So returning the watch means you have to pay your way out of the deal.

Edited by Li Mu Bai

Problem is this:

for an inactive and fit individual (such as Nathrix) and most of us here, having a changing goal will inevitably become unobtainable pretty quickly.

Being fitter, it takes a lot more effort to get your heart rate up, and your recovery time (on a flat or downhill) is very quick.

Discovery only accept the AVERAGE heartrate for an entire activity, and will not accept any proof of being over 80% heartrate for 30minutes or however many minutes you are over 80%, in a 4 hour road/mtb ride. No one here will ride at 80% average for 3-4 hours. you would have to blixem it at 110-120% to make up for the flats and downhills when you spin out. And thinking of Pamela Anderson to get you HR up on the downhills wont help much either!

So if you warm up prior to a hectic interval, and the cool down afterwards correctly, you are negating the efforts of your "hectic interval" and must remain happy with scoring a massive 100 points. The same as if you merely sat and had a coffee whilst watching aerobics at the Gym.

With only receiving 100 points for an activity, once the goal gets lifted to 600 or 700 points, we end up having to train 6-7 times a week, can everyone do this? 

When the goal randomly changes to 800, we are well and truly f....d, and can start expecting the watch bill in the post.

The discovery system suits big fat lazy unfit execs whose heart-rates are crazy high and who are close to cardiac arrest the moment they roll out of bed in the morning, not those who actually give a damn about their fitness.

And we wonder why there is so much subversion and creative manipulation of the data sent to Discovery and the system as a whole...

Forgive me.....I simply highlighted two brilliant sentences out of what is a brilliant post.....but some rubbers here can do a race for 2h30 at 80 % and boast about it here on a Monday......what you said here is really what it boils down to.....some here want a full thesis because they are too lazy to do their own research.......in the end of the day your post lays out very plainly as to where the system is failing.....is it safe to say that the Hubbers who reach their gaols so easily are ......fat and unfit LOL ​I just threw that in there to make this Monday feel like Friday..........

Edited by BarHugger

This is interesting :

http://www.fastcompany.com/3055198/fast-feed/a-class-action-suit-claims-fitbit-devices-inaccurately-measure-heart-rate

A device that gets a heart rate from a tub of vaseline......being sold by a medical aid who claims it can be used to accurately record here rate......I would not be surprised you tun out to be right......

Thing is this, BH. It is NOT being sold by Discovery. Not at all. It's an Apple device, sold by Apple. 

DV is SUBSIDISING it, if people decide they want one, based on their activity. It is not Discovery's fault that the T's and C's aren't being read, or that people think "OOOOH! FREE WATCH!" 

Essentially, it's like this. If you want a watch, enter into a 2 year 0% interest arrangement (which is the basis for the agreement)

Discovery offers you the POTENTIAL to pay nothing, IF you meet al their goals.

Whose fault is it?

Problem is this:

for an active and fit individual (such as Nathrix) and most of us here, having a changing goal will inevitably become unobtainable pretty quickly.

80% of actual max - NO

80% of Discovery 220 less age x 80% formula - YES quite easily (all 4 stages of Panorama as an example) and I lived to tell the story.

Forgive me.....I simply highlighted two brilliant sentences out of what is a brilliant post.....but some rubbers here can do a race for 2h30 at 80 % and boast about it here on a Monday......what you said here is really what it boils down to.....some here want a full thesis because they are too easy to do their own research.......in the end of the day your post lays out very plainly as to where the system is failing.....is it safe to say that the Hubbers who reach their gaols so easily are ......fat and unfit LOL ​I just threw that in there to make this Monday feel like Friday..........

The thing is that the system at the moment cannot look into the individual exercises and dissect how long they were at a given HR value for. So even if your HR was above 80% of 30 minutes, they cannot get the data. 

Add to that the people they are targeting ARE fat and unfit, and you start seeing where they're going. 

As for the "fit people not being able to hit 80% for 2 to 3 hours" thing - BS. SOME fit people won't be able to hit that, in very specific areas. But you bet your bottom dollar that if they wanted to, they sure could. Even if just for 30 min. Otherwise how would they get better? Does Froome train at sub 70% all the time? Most definitely not. Can he get his HR above 80%? Absolutely. 

Forgive me.....I simply highlighted two brilliant sentences out of what is a brilliant post.....but some rubbers here can do a race for 2h30 at 80 % and boast about it here on a Monday......what you said here is really what it boils down to.....some here want a full thesis because they are too easy to do their own research.......in the end of the day your post lays out very plainly as to where the system is failing.....is it safe to say that the Hubbers who reach their gaols so easily are ......fat and unfit LOL ​I just threw that in there to make this Monday feel like Friday..........

BH, I don't think anyone is arguing the non merits of the new heart rate zones. The points do not make much sense, but based on the fact that it's a benefit anyone could willingly subscribe to, they have set some limits that are challenging rather than practically non existant. The crew here are suggesting there are ways to adapt your training so that you can achieve the somewhat weird requirements to keep your training segmented to get these training targets, but if anyone is serious about their training they will have more than enough opportunity to fit in at least 3 hardish 30 min efforts somewhere in the week along with 3 other coffee\smoothie stops to make up the max of 1200 weekly points.

You have your own opinion but no matter how much evidence is placed before you, you seem determined not to shift the level of disdain you publically want to shower on the Active Rewards system. What is your motivation for this btw?